Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

lets break down these claims and opinions
    t seems he is the 5th president in a row who has to deal with a major war and like many of his predecessors, this war will be fought in the same place: Iraq. Unlike earlier presidents but like Obama, Trump does not have a choice here: ISIS clearly need to be defeated and fast. Unlike Milosevic, Saddam or even the Taliban, they pose a clear and present danger to the entire world.

ISIS is clearly defeated , its on its last gasp, no organisation can hold terrority today , without airpower dominance, the " Caliphate" was always doomed. ( and any reading of learned texts would show you that ) . The delay is that the Iraqi army and the Kurds were not really to take on a big ISIS battle and time was needed to sort all that out.

However of course IRAQ, a mess that the US largely created, will throw up ISIS mark 2,3,4,5,6,...etc

So, like Obama, Trump has to defeat ISIS. But unlike Obama, Trump wants close relations with Russia (which I agree with). Back in 2011 when the revival of ISIS (previously al Qaeda in Iraq) came about due to the Arab Spring, Obama backed up democracy in the Middle East. The Arab Spring became a nightmare and Libya and Syria have joined the ever growing list of world failed states. Obama and Russia both opposed ISIS but one chose other rebels and the other chose Assad. Now Trump has shown he wants partnership with Russia and has hinted he will work with Assad.

The US under GWB, ( and followed on by Clinton , who is much closer to the republicans on this issue ) largely supported and encouraged the " Arab Spring" because they saw ( or rather they taught they saw ) , in an era of weak Russia influence, that previous Soviet client states like Libya, Syria, etc , could be destabilised and Russia would not intervene, The resulting mess that was then caused and the rise of " democratic " muslim parties which was not foreseen by the US, then caused a reappraisal of the policy. The resurgence of Russia, then caused the plan to backfire in Syria as Russian Aid, was instrumental, in keeping Assad in the game, despite massive US support to the opposing rebels

They are " failed states " because of US interference , thats why

I predict Trump and Putins relationship will be the shortest lived honeymoon in history , Putins has stated he wishes to re-asset Russian influence , that directly affects US influence, therefore the traditional animosity will remain and most likely actually get worse
    Iran becomes America's new friend

Not in a month of Sundays . they will merely tolerate each other in public as long as Saudi Arabia remains on the right side of US influence
    gain, this is a good thing in theory as long as America and Russia persuade Iran's government to abandon fascist laws on women and alcohol (laws that are contrary to Russian, American and Iranian business interests) and insist on the military and clergy to stay out of politics
    cloud cuckoo land viewpoint

Also, there is the massive possibility that a Christian/Shia pact could form between Trump, Putin, Iran, Iraq and Syria along with support of Saudi Arabia as the main Sunni power and Israel as the main Jewish power

This displays an incredible lack of understanding, as to what is behind many of the conflicts in the Middle east . ( Iraq for sample is majority Sunni ) You'll see an united Ireland first

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There are jobs of different value in apple. They keep most R&D in America but some of the research is done in Europe to avail if tax breaks and, split the intellectual property to justify other tax arrangements. If trump gives those companies similar advantage, then why would get bother staying?

A few high value jobs returned stateside won't have anyone, least of all his base, proclaiming him a hero. Also, if Trump's plan is to simply give everyone tax breaks he's going to run into trouble pretty quick smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Earthhorse wrote: »
    if Trump's plan is to simply give everyone tax breaks he's going to run into trouble pretty quick smart.

Not everyone: big corporations and millionaires/billionaires.

Standard Republican tax policy.

Not everyone: big corporations and millionaires/billionaires.

Standard Republican tax policy.

followed by a massive increase in the deficit

BoatMad wrote: »

Caused by some circumstance no-one could have predicted, like the new patriotic war, so shut up anti-American hippies!

Classic Onion article as Bush took over:

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'

• Advertisement

Caused by some circumstance no-one could have predicted, like the new patriotic war, so shut up anti-American hippies!

Classic Onion article as Bush took over:

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'

the Onion peace is hilarious and very pointed,

I fail to see amongst by definition how the US can be involved in a "patriotic" war, this side of an attack on Pearl Harbour

I fail to see amongst by definition how the US can be involved in a "patriotic" war, this side of an attack on Pearl Harbour

Shut up, you flag-burning hippy! Support the troops!

[see, this stuff is easy!]

keep the recovery going, yes we can , make america great again

See, I can do post fact, twitter politics :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

keep the recovery going, yes we can , make america great again

See, I can do post fact, twitter politics :D

Less of this please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I see Ends Kenny is meeting today with Tim Cook, head of Apple. It's happening. The corporations are being called home and we're in the position of begging them not to go.

Trump's going to be remembered as a genius

I think you are forgetting one very big reason that Enda would be meeting the head of Apple and it has nothing to do with Trump.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Earthhorse wrote:
    A few high value jobs returned stateside won't have anyone, least of all his base, proclaiming him a hero. Also, if Trump's plan is to simply give everyone tax breaks he's going to run into trouble pretty quick smart.

It's not just the tech jobs, it's everything else they goes with it too. From cleaners, caterers and repair crews, to building the the factory and the accommodation for workers and providing services to the people employed which is everything from pizzas to plumbers.

It's a victory with small substance but he ran an entire campaign with absolutely no substance so this would be easier than getting elected in the first place. Thiugh expectations would be greater for a returning President.

Look at the affect Dell had in Limerick. You could easily revitalise a small city with a big factory with all kinds of jobs.

BoatMad wrote:

So what? Who will turn around and say 'no thanks' to money for infrastructure in their state? Nobody, that's who. Not now that it's not Obama's plan. Is plan was tempted with tax at least attempting to pay for it. Trump plans go burn the fiscal candle at both ends by borrowing and cutting tax. Imagine he feel good factor from that...

It will run into trouble eventually but he'll deal with that another day. His typical approach us to tell people they can have half the money he owes them. Do he might be borrowing and potentially intends to pay back the capitol at 50% let alone paying interest. What a popular move that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

A minute ago it was the R & D facilities and now it's the whole factory. The majority of people employed by Apple in Ireland are sales and support I believe. Even if all those jobs returned stateside they would likely be heading to Cupertino and not to some small town in the rust belt. Sorry, but no matter what way you spin it your analysis just doesn't hold up.

he might be borrowing and potentially intends to pay back the capitol at 50% let alone paying interest. What a popular move that would be.

Yes, he made some noises during the campaign about defaulting on the national debt - it's how he has run his businesses with several bankruptcies.

Yes, he made some noises during the campaign about defaulting on the national debt - it's how he has run his businesses with several bankruptcies.

Running the country is hard. One if the hardest things is balancing the budget. Imagine how popular you could he if you didn't have to even consider balancing the budget. It would be giveaway budgets every year. Massive prosperity. Who would bite against that?

We all talk about boom-bust cycles but that's only recession talk. It would be a big party in the short/medium term

Running the country is hard. One if the hardest things is balancing the budget. Imagine how popular you could he if you didn't have to even consider balancing the budget. It would be giveaway budgets every year. Massive prosperity. Who would bite against that?

Listening to them talk during Obama's terms, no-one except every Republican ever.

But now there's a republican taking over - it's run up the deficit time!

Listening to them talk during Obama's terms, no-one except every Republican ever.
    But now there's a republican taking over - it's run up the deficit time!

This is what I think too. Austerity vs borrow and spend have all kinds of arguments for and against. The point that can't be argued is that austerity is boring and people don't like it. Borrow and spend is hugely popular and makes people happy and makes it appear that the government is doing things.
    Obama's problem was that the stimulus package was too small by the time it was passed.

Trump will make it a 'huge' stimulus which will be devilish popular

Trump will make it a 'huge' stimulus which will be devilish popular

If he actually borrowed and spent on infrastructure as he proposed, that would be a very good thing.

But I think he's more likely to borrow and cut taxes on rich people, building nothing, and then use the deficit to justify cutting programs for the poor.

If he actually borrowed and spent on infrastructure as he proposed, that would be a very good thing.

Of course. It would have been good if Obama got it through too, but he didn't and I think Trump will.
    But I think he's more likely to borrow and cut taxes on rich people, building nothing, and then use the deficit to justify cutting programs for the poor.

Why bother cutting programmes? That's not very populist. I'd say he'll keep it simple by borrowing, spending and cutting tax on the rich and business. Deal with the debt when he's in a stronger position

Why bother cutting programmes? That's not very populist.

Ryan and the republicans in Congress are not going to send Trump a huge infrastructure program to sign - Ryan has already said his priority is to kill Obamacare and voucherize Medicare. That's what will be on Trumps desk for signing.

• Advertisement

Why bother cutting programmes? That's not very populist. I'd say he'll keep it simple by borrowing, spending and cutting tax on the rich and business. Deal with the debt when he's in a stronger position

watch the value of the dollar plummet and home grown inflation rise then ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Why bother cutting programmes? That's not very populist.

20 Million people are set to lose their healthcare in the new year.

Not populist? trump doesnt care. The right wingers have been trying to stop the "affordable care act" since obama introduced it.

Expect a return to people dying outside hospital emergency rooms.

InTheTrees wrote:
    Not populist? trump doesnt care. The right wingers have been trying to stop the "affordable care act" since obama introduced it.

My understanding is that the 'affordable care act' is much more popular than 'obama care ' when people are surveyed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he kills Obama care and replaces it with Trump Care. Just fiddle with it and create more subsidise, and slap a new name on it. That's Trumps whole business model

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Following media reports pointing out the risks of angering China, Mr Trump tweeted: "Interesting how the US sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call."

A tweet that reflects Trumps attitude - everything is about his need for approbation.
    US President-elect Donald Trump has posted a series of tweets criticising China for its monetary policy and its operations in the South China Sea.
    "Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency" and "build a massive military complex?" he asked. "I don't think so!"

Am I missing something here? Would a country seriously expect to have to ask permission of the US to do anything with their currency?

looksee wrote: »
    A tweet that reflects Trumps attitude - everything is about his need for approbation.

Am I missing something here? Would a country seriously expect to have to ask permission of the US to do anything with their currency?

see bretton woods agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

see bretton woods agreement

My knowledge of international finance is pretty much zero, but was China involved in the Bretton Woods agreement, and didn't the US pretty much terminate it in the 1970s?

looksee wrote: »
    My knowledge of international finance is pretty much zero, but was China involved in the Bretton Woods agreement, and didn't the US pretty much terminate it in the 1970s?

The US insisted that the fixed exchange ratios be based on Gold and the US currency , which was still convertible at that stage

Yes , the US could not in effect devalue , nor other re-value or de-value without in essence US agreement , the uS found the costs of the agreement too great and terminated it arbitrarily

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does anyone else think Trump's reason to complain about the new Air force 1 is simply an excuse to allow him to charge the state money for him to use his own plane instead (same way he's done through the campaign by quadrupling rent when the donated money started to pay for it and want to continue with secret service to use his hotel)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

His own plane would not be fitted out with the necessary security and communications equipment for POTUS.
    Regarding the possibility that Trump might want to use his own plane instead of Air Force One, Aboulafia was beside himself.
    "That's up there with talking-to-aliens-on-the-toaster weird," he said.
    source

Is it possible (for you to believe) he just wants to drain the swamp?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

recedite wrote: »
    Is it possible (for you to believe) he just wants to drain the swamp?

It might be, if his actions consistently pointed that way.

Let's see: Goldman Sachs guy for Treasury; RNC chair for Chief of Staff; billionaires for Commerce and Education (the latter notably having admitted that the whole point of political contributions is to buy influence); a 20-year Senate veteran for AG; four-term congressman for CIA; six-term congressman for HHS; former Labour Secretary for Transportation (who also happens to be married to the Senate Majority Leader)...

I think we need to take our cue from Corey Lewandowski when interpreting Trump's claim to want to drain the swamp: we shouldn't take him literally. In other words, the safe option when parsing anything Trump says is to assume he's lying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement