Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DredFX wrote: »
    I think it would be prudent for people to take a small dose of scepticism before reading any news nowadays.

I think your small bit in reality is taking gulps of skeptism, judging by people on here whom refuse to comment on stark realities of decisions trump is making right now and then pretend to head off with things to do yet hang around to thank posts.

This will be another trump thing to sweep under the carpet.

Queue another scandal within days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Btw news update on the Muslim in the attack at Louvre, France; Egyptian on a tourist visa issued in Dubai. Good thing that Trump banned those Egyptians and Saudi Arabians from coming to the USA...

And talking about fun facts; Kellyanne Conway once again came up with "alternative facts" that “Two Iraqis came here, they were radicalised, and they were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green massacre" except there was never any massacre or killings that ever happened. But the reason you don't know about it is not that it never happened, it's because liberal media did not cover the story according to Kellyanne. What did happen was that the fingerprints of one Iraqi out of two were found on a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2011 and this was the trigger for reviewing the vetting process under Obama to ensure it was stringent enough, no, there was no ban for refugees coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Why travel from Saudi Arabia, a country filled to the brim with terrorist benefactors and the homeland of most of 9/11's perpetrators, has yet to receive any restrictions is beyond me.

Oh, wait. Money and oil. Forgot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yes "the liberal media" (read: 95% of news global news outlets) are well known for peddling bull**** stories. If you want the truth you have to look to bastions of journalistic integrity like infowars and breitbart. Even Fox is a member of the "liberal media" these days. :rolleyes:

Reuters is one of the best.

I'm not sure what your point about infowars is, it's comedic value is pretty good and their street reporting. Breitbart is far right just like Vox and others are on the left.

Why travel from Saudi Arabia, a country filled to the brim with terrorist benefactors and the homeland of most of 9/11's perpetrators, has yet to receive any restrictions is beyond me.

Probably, that and Intel exchange.

• Advertisement

Surprisingly still no word on Dodd.... Thinks to do Indeed.

No messaging yet on it from the alt right websites I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You can't blame the US for playing geopolitical games and throwing its weight around. It's what the playground bully does. And if Ireland was that big and powerful, it's what we would be doing too. However, Trump's treatment of the EU, Mexico, China, Australia, Iran etc. is just plain stupid. There was no need to mock, threaten and dismiss the US's enemies and friends.

The amount of goodwill that he has squandered will take years to regain. Soon, the US will find itself very isolated and will see China and India filling the void on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think it would be prudent for people to take a small dose of scepticism before reading any news nowadays.

That should be true for all news any time.

Unfortunately critical thinking skills are rare and undervalued.

You can't blame the US for playing geopolitical games and throwing its weight around.

Superpowers have to appear powerful, even when situations do not call for it.

Imposing at least some sort of restriction on Saudi Arabia travel to the US would demonstrate that the great superpower will not tolerate any chicanery, even from its allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nody wrote: »
    But all his voters love the Wall street guys, right? I esp. loved how he tore up a law that required financial advisors to put their clients interest first. The reason for the law being to prevent people with limited financial understanding being sold products not suitable for them (see Prime loan crisis 2008 for an example); oh baaaaaaaaaaaaad law lets remove it!

Amazing isnt it? You couldnt make this stuff up.

He has absolutely no shame at all.

And his supporters wont mind because they dont understand what it all means anyway.

• Advertisement

Superpowers have to appear powerful, even when situations do not call for it.

Imposing at least some sort of restriction on Saudi Arabia travel to the US would demonstrate that the great superpower will not tolerate any chicanery, even from its allies.

Yeah. Heard a US general on the radio the other day defending Saudi because they give the US great intel. Nothing about Wahhabism, arms sales, oil, 9/11 etc. Just intel. Their greatness is being squandered to serve egotism, narrow-mindedness and capitalism.

listermint wrote: »
    Surprisingly still no word on Dodd.... Thinks to do Indeed.

No messaging yet on it from the alt right websites I suppose

Calling me a racist now because I'm not bending over backwards to answer your constant questioning and dared comment on something else?

I've been reading about it for the past 20 minutes. I don't think it's good to remove safeguards that could potentially prevent another banking crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair to Hank, the guy is definitely NOT alt-right (which is a rebranded name for white supremacists or nazis, depending on opinion) and posters who do not know the difference between Trump fan and alt right should look into it. It's something many Trump fans are not even aware of, and will happily call themselves alt-right because it sounds catchy without actually knowing that the alt-right even really are... which is actually exactly what the alt right want because such people act for a mask for them to hide behind.

I think there's a good deal of scummy stuff on the_Donald reddit for example, but it doesn't even really come close to this - https://www.reddit.com/r/altright/ (which has an age gate and is NSFW in terms of what is written there for a reason).

EDIT: Turns out it's been banned from reddit which is SERIOUSLY great news! For those who hadn't seen it, it was basically the stormfront white supremacist/neo nazi forums using reddit for a veil of legitimacy. Apparently it and two others alike were banned repeated harassment and doxing (publishing of people's private information) of private people, which I assume would be other posters, Twitter accounts, etc - http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/2/3/14486856/reddit-bans-alt-right-doxing-harassment

That said, Steve Bannon and much of the agenda he has pushed over the years on Breitbart I would definitely consider to fall into the alt-right, rather than far right.

Yeah. Heard a US general on the radio the other day defending Saudi because they give the US great intel. Nothing about Wahhabism, arms sales, oil, 9/11 etc. Just intel. Their greatness is being squandered to serve egotism, narrow-mindedness and capitalism.

And there's that darn good anti-terrorist coalition they established.

I mean, they've since done next to nothing to curb the private funding percolating into terrorist bank accounts, but at least they're trying. God bless 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

For years the left peddled the argument that Islamic terrorism was a threat to western civilization. Now Al Qaeda is gone and they expect people not to rush to conclusions about Islam. The public have had it up to their neck in excuses being made about Saudi Arabia somehow being a ally.

"We can't be nasty towards Saudi Arabia waffle waffle oil wealth enemy of Iran."

This ain't having the desired outcome anymore innocent people are dying in Paris, Brussels, Nice and Berlin. The public have to stop with waffle about being an ally of human rights abusive Saudi Arabia.

And there's that darn good anti-terrorist coalition they established.

I mean, they've since done next to nothing to curb the private funding percolating into terrorist bank accounts, but at least they're trying. God bless 'em.

The Donald is looking into banking regulations as we speak. In the interests of Joe the Plumber from Denver and to stop the Muslim bad dudes getting money dontcha know.

Billy86 wrote: »

EDIT: Turns out it's been banned from reddit which is SERIOUSLY great news! .

Hopefully they ban the antifa forum and other groups of that nature too, of which there is many.

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair to Hank, the guy is definitely NOT alt-right (which is a rebranded name for white supremacists or nazis, depending on opinion) and posters who do not know the difference between Trump fan and alt right should look into it. It's something many Trump fans are not even aware of, and will happily call themselves alt-right because it sounds catchy without actually knowing that the alt-right even really are... which is actually exactly what the alt right want because such people act for a mask for them to hide behind.

I think there's a good deal of scummy stuff on the_Donald reddit for example, but it doesn't even really come close to this - https://www.reddit.com/r/altright/ (which has an age gate and is NSFW in terms of what is written there for a reason).

EDIT: Turns out it's been banned from reddit which is SERIOUSLY great news! For those who hadn't seen it, it was basically the stormfront white supremacist/neo nazi forums using reddit for a veil of legitimacy. Apparently it and two others alike were banned repeated harassment and doxing (publishing of people's private information) of private people, which I assume would be other posters, Twitter accounts, etc - http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/2/3/14486856/reddit-bans-alt-right-doxing-harassment

That said, Steve Bannon and much of the agenda he has pushed over the years on Breitbart I would definitely consider to fall into the alt-right, rather than far right.

Well perhaps if he didn't use it as his source of information against so called MSM.

If it quacks like a duck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hopefully they ban the antifa forum and other groups of that nature too, of which there is many.
    Hadn't heard of them before, I'd agree that that carry on is completely uncalled for also - two groups of idiots from what I can see, doing nothing but helping further the divide and make things worse.

What's even worse/stupidest of all is, it plays right into the likes of Richard Spencers hands, like when he got the dig in the face. Thankfully he got called out and exposed quite quickly after it for what he really is, but still that punch he got during Trump's inauguration is one of the best things that could have happened to him that day. Hurts a lot for a few mins, maybe leaves a bruise for a few days, but gives publicity to him on a national/global that would take ages to build up otherwise and makes him look like the reasonable/innocent person to impressionable or lesser-informed people who don't know much about him (e.g. easier to get to "just hear him out" on his thoughts).

Violence is generally scummy, doesn't resolve much of anything (even if these antifa guys let's say killed everyone on the extreme right, it's just just going to come back stronger/more extreme sooner rather than later, and is counterproductive as it generally just makes 'your side' look like a bunch of dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Fairly frustrating when people flock to an account like that but ignore something with credibility like Wikileaks.

What credibility do Wikileaks have, honestly?

They leak stuff that only goes along with their narrative, Julian Assange is forever talking bollocks like saying he'd give himself to the US if Chelsea Manning was pardoned, yet he's broken that pledge.

Wikileaks are not anymore reliable than any source.

• Advertisement

Well so Donald wasn't in the Situation Room when the botched Yemen raid occurred, which left 15 civilians dead along with a Navy SEAL.

One might ask, what was he doing at the time the raid happened?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825690087857995776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ah, makes sense I suppose.

What credibility do Wikileaks have, honestly?

They leak stuff that only goes along with their narrative, Julian Assange is forever talking bollocks like saying he'd give himself to the US if Chelsea Manning was pardoned, yet he's broken that pledge.

Wikileaks are not anymore reliable than any source.

10 years and over 10 million documents none of which have been proven false.

He didn't break any pledge, the US officials never contacted him or his lawyer.

listermint wrote: »
    Well perhaps if he didn't use it as his source of information against so called MSM.

If it quacks like a duck..

What source have I used that is alt right? That's a fairly serious accusation you're making. I can take jabs or jokes at my expense or whatever else but calling me a racist or a member of the alt right is over the line.

Well so Donald wasn't in the Situation Room when the botched Yemen raid occurred, which left 15 civilians dead along with a Navy SEAL.

One might ask, what was he doing at the time the raid happened?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825690087857995776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ah, makes sense I suppose.

Enjoying a pop tart?

I've heard people lambasting him for this, but remember that Donald is advised by generals and other military officers. They likely assured him that the raid would proceed without major consequence. This was a mess-up across several levels of authority.

(And by most presidential standards, 15 civilians and a soldier dead is a boring weekend.)

't break any pledge, the US officials never contacted him or his lawyer.

What about this then?

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/776437869376262144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I seen that, he did an interview on ITV a few days ago explaining the situation and that the ball is in the DOJ's or whoever else's court.

Interview is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PX0j_797Sc

Enjoying a pop tart?

I've heard people lambasting him for this, but remember that Donald is advised by generals and other military officers. They likely assured him that the raid would proceed without major consequence. This was a mess-up across several levels of authority.

(And by most presidential standards, 15 civilians and a soldier dead is a boring weekend.)

What about Steve Bannon and Kushner?

Given that he was up at the hour, and american lives were at risk in a high-risk operation, you don't think he could've put the phone away and went in there?

What about Steve Bannon and Kushner?

Given that he was up at the hour, and american lives were at risk in a high-risk operation, you don't think he could've put the phone away and went in there?

True, true, but Donald Trump is a corporate orangutan who got into office by having pretty teeth and serenading the middle class, and this was an operation that Obama had vetoed but the military still tried to resurrect continually. When Trump came along, they likely said, "Go on, new guy. Do it. It'll be fine. Promise."

Dunno if Trump's military acumen would have made a substantial difference if he has that kind of counsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This Trumphonic mass hysteria is getting tedious, on all news channels overload ! I hate the media obsession with Trump .

• Advertisement

True, true, but Donald Trump is a corporate orangutan who got into office by having pretty teeth and serenading the middle class, and this was an operation that Obama had vetoed but the military still tried to resurrect continually. When Trump came along, they likely said, "Go on, new guy. Do it. It'll be fine. Promise."

Dunno if Trump's military acumen would have made a substantial difference if he has that kind of counsel.

Unfortunately Trump wasn't able to join the army during the Vietnam war because of a heel spur. Thankfully, it has healed since without the need for surgery which is a rare but lucky event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement