Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Bazzo wrote:
    Any trump fans in here like to offer any defence on trump's repealing of the Dodd-Frank financial regulations designed to make Wall Street protect investors and consumers from abusive practices? Or his move to delay Obama's fiduciary rule requiring investment and financial advisers to act in their clients’ best interests? Here's trump's justification:

At least he's honest in saying that he's looking after his cronies. The US is getting the governance it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

At least he's honest in saying that he's looking after his cronies. The US is getting the governance it deserves.

"Draining the swamp" he says as he takes the CEO of JP Morgan's advice to roll back Wall Street regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He's going to flood the world with unsustainable debt which will boost the economy for long enough for his voters to think he's an economic genius, and when the bubble bursts, it'll be too late

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bazzo wrote:
    Any trump fans in here like to offer any defence on trump's repealing of the Dodd-Frank financial regulations designed to make Wall Street protect investors and consumers from abusive practices? Or his move to delay Obama's fiduciary rule requiring investment and financial advisers to act in their clients’ best interests? Here's trump's justification:

Bill black has been talking about this the last few weeks, as always of course. He has a regular spot on the real news network, always interesting to hear his comments on these matters. He doesn't paint a pretty picture with what may happen with such decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Of course the regulations are being repealed. How else is the economic rise-and-fall cycle going to keep repeating itself?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Well done to to Massachussetts District Judge Nathaniel Gorton for upholding the ban before Judge Robart in Seattle stayed it again. Interesting one from the viewpoint of the Separation of Powers.The judge noted that the religion was explicitly mentioned only one time in the EO itself, but temporarily blocked the EO until the next hearing courtesy of the external-to-EO statements on it supposedly being to protect US citizens from terrorism, to which he didn't find any actuality as there had been no suspects from the named countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

alastair wrote: »
    They're not the facts. The fact is that Manus detention centre is illegal. The Australian verdict had no determination on either detention site,

Oh but they are facts, the high court of Australia deemed this agreement legal. That is all the matters really. The Manus centre is closing, hence the deal with the US, but the Nauru centre is still operating as normal and is providing a wonderful service.

The policy itself is not going to change anytime soon, as the Australian people support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Oh but they are facts, the high court of Australia deemed this agreement legal. That is all the matters really. The Manus centre is closing, hence the deal with the US, but the Nauru centre is still operating as normal and is providing a wonderful service.

The policy itself is not going to change anytime soon, as the Australian people support it.

This doesn't look like "support" to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-10/jill-sheppard-anu-poll-national-security-terrorism/7916812

More then half of Australians support a Muslim ban.

The Australian government would not pursue such policy on border protection if they did not have the support of middle Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-10/jill-sheppard-anu-poll-national-security-terrorism/7916812

More then half of Australians support a Muslim ban.

The Australian government would not pursue such policy on border protection if they did not have the support of middle Australia.

Sorry to break it to you. There's no Muslim ban in Australia. Laws aren't derived from opinion polls.

• Advertisement

Oh but they are facts, the high court of Australia deemed this agreement legal.

No it didn't. It didn't touch on the legality of the detention centres, nor did it touch on the agreements with PHG or Nauru. It merely dealt with the change in Australian immigrant law. Noteably, the law was revised ahead of the case being heard, in response to some of the litigation. It's also notable that the final verdict was a split one.

The Manus centre is closing on account of it's illegality.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So trump has called the judge that put a stay on his travel/Muslim ban a "so called judge" trump really doesn't like being told no and not getting his way does he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So trump has called the judge that put a stay on his travel/Muslim ban a "so called judge" trump really doesn't like being told no and not getting his way does he ?

From a "so called President".....

He really is bringing the office of president into disrepute , sad

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    From a "so called President".....

He really of bringing the office of president into disrepute , sad

And apparently the judge in question was appointed by the last GOP president.

Also I didn't see it here but I was thinking of the people of bowling green after the attack from 2011. :D kelly Anne is just making stuff up at this point. It's a shame as there have been some good president of the US of both main parties and trump is just ****ting all over the office.

The 25th amendment of the us constitution
    Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

I think mike pence and some of the cabinet should look at this section of the us constitution. The bolded parts in particular to me are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The 25th amendment of the us constitution

I think mick pence and some of the cabinet should look at this section of the us constitution. The bolded parts in particular to me are interesting.

The problem is I (personally) don't think Mike pence would be any better. Having watched Trump over the last couple of weeks signing these EO'S and the protests taking place is it silly of me to think that America looks like it is being divided to the point where a (small) civil war could possibly take place or even some sort of military coup?

The problem is I (personally) don't think Mike pence would be any better. Having watched Trump over the last couple of weeks signing these EO'S and the protests taking place is it silly of me to think that America looks like it is being divided to the point where a (small) civil war could possibly take place or even some sort of military coup?

Yes. Midterms will focus the GOP on hemming in the worst of this administration. It's in no-one's interest to let the clown show run on unabated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Wishful thinking from those who think democracy is only democracy if it suits them. Sedition is illegal in the US. I hope Trump dusts off the laws that deal with sedition, treason and subversive activities and uses them. Lots of subversive professors and the like that could be sent to cool off behind bars for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wishful thinking from those who think democracy is only democracy if it suits them. Sedition is illegal in the US. I hope Trump dusts off the laws that deal with sedition, treason and subversive activities and uses them. Lots of subversive professors and the like that could be sent to cool off behind bars for a while.

Just another leaf out of the Putin playbook. :rolleyes:

Just another leaf out of the Putin playbook. :rolleyes:

Though I'm loving the notion of 'subversive professors'. Trump would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling tenured academics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Care to name a few and tell us why they deserve to be jailed?

The state dept has suspended all actions from trumps travel ban. Oh dear Donald isn't going to like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The state dept has suspended all actions from trumps travel ban. Oh dear Donald isn't going to like this.

Time for The Purge 4: Inauguration Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This is a fast forward to test the law by the time any regulation comes in , easily after 3 months .

Too right. He's encountered so much resistance from his own public services.

At that rate there'll be too many people to dismiss. He'll have to make a compromise or face a very premature resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Steady on. Professors aren't a bad lot.

Mind you, if we didn't have pesky academics, judges, reporters etc. then The Donald could get the job done. I think it's time to cleanse the USA of anyone with a brain or education and burn all the books. The Trump supporters will learn all they need to know from his tweets. Making America White Fascist Great Again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well talking about America first I can only thank Trump for that policy because it has started a series that will help inform USA citizens about Europe and the countries that are here; they are specifically created for Trump himself by being short, easy to understand and using his own language.

Of course the Dutch being the first to sell out was to be expected:

And since Netherlands broke rank the rest of the countries did not want to be worse; I'd expect more to come:

Now all we need to do is get them on Fox News so Trump sees them.

Nody wrote: »
    Of course the Dutch being the first to sell out was to be expected:

Actual countries jumping on a bandwagon. Hah.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

DredFX wrote: »
    Actual countries jumping on a bandwagon. Hah.

Comedy TV shows, rather than actual countries.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Comedy TV shows, rather than actual countries.

Ssh. Don't ruin it for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement