Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW mk5 1.4 Golf

• 16-11-2016 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Was wondering if the mk5 1.4 golf petrol (06) is a reliable car what's it's faults/fuel economy/what to look out for when buying/are they a recommend car to buy ect.. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated either positive or negative
    Thanks 😊

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hatevodafone

Kevin2012 wrote: »
    Was wondering if the mk5 1.4 golf petrol (06) is a reliable car what's it's faults/fuel economy/what to look out for when buying/are they a recommend car to buy ect.. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated either positive or negative
    Thanks 😊

Very reliable

Be great for young person, or friend or partner, but don't get one for yourself as it's boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not especially reliable. They are also quite slow compared to some rivals.
    Has a right-on image though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mark2 Golf is on the most reliable list, no other Golfs come close.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/86787/most-reliable-used-cars-2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Poor enough engine that's the runt of the litter in the Mk5 Golf range. Not particularly reliable and sluggish compared to some other cars with similar capacity, they only have about 75bhp. Mpg is about average rather than spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kevin2012

bazz26 wrote: »
    Poor enough engine that's the runt of the litter in the Mk5 Golf range. Not particularly reliable and sluggish compared to some other cars with similar capacity, they only have about 75bhp. Mpg is about average rather than spectacular.

So you wouldn't recommend? also looking at a 1.4 vvti corolla 06. Think the corollas a more reliable option as I don't want to be landed with a rubbish car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If your going for the corolla, get the hatch not the saloon they are God awful looking.

Corolla Ceed or i30

If your going for the corolla, get the hatch not the saloon they are God awful looking.

Yeah definitely a hatchback. Don't like the saloon corollas at all they really are awful looking.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Corolla Ceed or i30

Was in the back of a 11 Ceed, not a nice place to be, golf would be streets ahead for comfort. The front might be different.

Civic?

• Advertisement

I30 is the same. Seats very flat or upright in the back or something. Front is grand though. Lots of legroom in the back to be fair.

1.4 civic is slow, even the newer iVTEC is underpowered and needs driving hard. 1.8 or nothing.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I30 is the same. Seats very flat or upright in the back or something. Front is grand though. Lots of legroom in the back to be fair.

1.4 civic is slow, even the newer iVTEC is underpowered and needs driving hard. 1.8 or nothing.

Not really to pushed on how fast or slow the car is as it's going to be my first car so long as it's reliable and gets me to and from work and isn't too hard on juice. Think iv my mind set on a corolla. Anything to look out for with them? :)

Nah, mechanically theres not much that goes wrong. Gearbox bearings can go. It would make it very whiney. They're a little whiney anyway so drive a few.
    Try and get one with a bit of spec. The 06 Luna model is well equipped. Most of the uk specs are generous too.
    I wouldn't bother with Irish Terra or Strata models.

Civic is a great alternative, even basic models are well equipped. Rear visibility isn't great though, parts can be dear, and insurance isn't as cheap as it should be.

I wouldn't dismiss the ceed or i30, they're easily as good as a corolla in most ways, better in some areas like safety, and you'd get a newer example for your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

Try stretch for the 1.4tsi engine in the golf, lovely looking car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

shygal wrote: »
    Try stretch for the 1.4tsi engine in the golf, lovely looking car

And a whole other world of pain reliability wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

And a whole other world of pain reliability wise.

'Stretch' and '1.4tsi', see what he did there?

The only issue with those cars is the potential for timing chain stretch. Other than that they are a fine engine, very smooth and plenty of poke. If the chain has been done then it is a sound car.

'Stretch' and '1.4tsi', see what he did there?

The only issue with those cars is the potential for timing chain stretch. Other than that they are a fine engine, very smooth and plenty of poke. If the chain has been done then it is a sound car.

Roughly how much more would you be paying for a tsi engine?

Kevin2012 wrote: »
    Roughly how much more would you be paying for a tsi engine?

I wouldn't even consider the 75bhp version TBH.

I wouldn't even consider the 75bhp version TBH.

Yeah from what iv seen on this it's a different no anyways my minds made up thanks people :)

Are most golf's 1.4 TSI not 122bhp? We had a regular 2006 1.4 which was around 75bhp I think.

• Advertisement

Research the chain though, mine was done at 90,000 under warranty. I'd be looking at full warrantied cars within the VW dealer network. If it sounds in any way rattly run away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The MkV Golf 1.4 Tsi was only available from 2007 onwards. It was available in 122bhp, 140bhp and 170bhp. The 140bhp and especially the 170bhp gave way more problems than the 122bhp version.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

I had a petrol 1.4 vw golf Mk5 for years and it was grand for most driving. Unless you are doing large miles of motorway driving, the 1.4 is good. I always thought that they where well built.

Advertisement