Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US VP- Elect Not invited to Sligo

Options
  • 16-11-2016 2:32am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see that there had been proposals to invite the US Vice-Presidnt Elect, Indiana Governor Mike Pence to visit Sligo by the County Council. Pence's grandfather is from Tubercurry.

Now, the County Council have stated that they are not inviting Pence to Sligo. It is beleved that the decision was made because some LGBT residents of the county complained because of Pence's homophobic views, being opposed to gay rights and advocating electro-shock conversion "therapy" for gay men.

But could the real reason be that the County Council is broke?

What do Sligonians make of all this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Proper order. Think it's unfair that the LGBT community are being 'blamed' also. Any sane person can see that this guy is scum. You don't need to be gay to realise his views are twisted.

We don't need to give him a platform for his hatred, the Americans have already given him far more than he deserves. Leave him there.

If he does come it will be widely protested, rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Probably worth pointing out that no invitation was extended in the first place but neither has it been categorically ruled out either. The original newstalk article was pretty misleading and had to be amended later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I see Pence is against equal pay for women, women serving in the military as well as being an opponent of LGBT rights.

Lovely man by all accounts.

If Sligo CC do extend an official invitation to Pence then utter shame on them!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

As a Sligonian I would not wish our county or indeed the country to be associated with this horrible creature. If he was officially invited and afforded a civic reception it would be as if we admire and support his abhorrent views.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I see Pence is against equal pay for women, women serving in the military as well as being an opponent of LGBT rights.

Lovely man by all accounts.

If Sligo CC do extend an official invitation to Pence then utter shame on them!:mad:

Thankfully Sligo CC couldn't afford the price of the stamp for the invite, let alone the cost of hosting the abhorrent individual. Small mercies and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Is it not Cllr Jerry Lundy and the Tubbercurry chamber of commerce who are looking to invite Pence over?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I was and wasn't suprised that he wasn't invited. I don't think he'll like Sligo because of the LGBT parades that's always held here every August!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Is it not Cllr Jerry Lundy and the Tubbercurry chamber of commerce who are looking to invite Pence over?

That's what I heard too. Lundy is only interested in parish pump politics and does not see past his own doorstep the harm an invite like this causes the rest of the County. Pence (a well documented racist, homophobic, misogynist) wasn't 2 seconds elected when the clowns decided to issue an invite (or at least say they were going to) in the hope of raking in the money ala Baracks trip to Moneygall. If only they done a bit of research on who they were inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Thank you Plazaman-well said.
    Plazaman wrote: »
    That's what I heard too. Lundy is only interested in parish pump politics and does not see past his own doorstep the harm an invite like this causes the rest of the County. Pence (a well documented racist, homophobic, misogynist) wasn't 2 seconds elected when the clowns decided to issue an invite (or at least say they were going to) in the hope of raking in the money ala Baracks trip to Moneygall. If only they done a bit of research on who they were inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I don't want Pence, Trump or any of their kind being invited to Ireland, let alone Sligo.
    We proved to the world last year that we are a progressive nation, unlike giant swathes of the US where a very backward people still
    approve of racism, homophobia, neo-nazism etc. These are the people who feel best represented by Pence and Trump.
    And Lundy or any other councillor who invites them here to glorify them is no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 aidan203

Let we forget: Doctor Ian Paisley's visit to Sligo, November 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

aidan203 wrote: »
    Let we forget: Doctor Ian Paisley's visit to Sligo, November 2009
    Keep living in the past if you wish. Even SF have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'll repeat what I said on the AH thread, as I think its quite relevant.
    Gateway Town to the NW of Ireland, probably has more significance than the VP Elect, to a President Elect who will be no more than a pen pusher, a pawn, and someone to blame when it all goes tits up.

Not sure what bringing him to Sligo was going to achieve anyway, would have probably cost an already bankrupt or close to it CoCo a fortune, remember we were inviting him, so was at our cost. Amongst other things many road and town infrastructure improvements have been delayed due to costs, or money the CoCo does not have. Its possible that the objection to his LGBT and pro choice/life views, whilst valid, may be a cover up, with the cost being the true reason.

Basically what the OP said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

It's a free world thankfully and he can have his opinions and beliefs, but f**k me, if Sligo Co Co pay to have a character like him visit the county, when only a few weeks ago they were closing libraries..... I certainly wouldn't be rolling out a red carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

Who know there was so many delusional liberal nuts in Sligo? And given that the OP was suggesting people burn down Catholic Churches only last week, he is much more of a bigot than Pence ever could be. Pence is perfectly entitled to his Christian beliefs, if he was a Muslim most of you lot would be fawning over him. Shows how sick you people and Irish society have become. And for the record the Council never discussed this nor banned him, just more nonsense from far Left activists.

Mr Joe wrote: »
    Who know there was so many delusional liberal nuts in Sligo? And given that the OP was suggesting people burn down Catholic Churches only last week, he is much more of a bigot than Pence ever could be. Pence is perfectly entitled to his Christian beliefs, if he was a Muslim most of you lot would be fawning over him. Shows how sick you people and Irish society have become. And for the record the Council never discussed this nor banned him, just more nonsense from far Left activists.

Delusional? Here is where your post/rant made no sense:

1. You're equating having Christian beliefs with believing in conversion therapy for the LGBT community. I'm not sure anyone mentioned his personal faith, before you.

2. You say Pence is entitled to his beliefs, while trying to insinuate citizens in Sligo cannot express their own by expressing that they would not like public representatives to extend an invite to someone they severely disagree with in their name. Bizarre.

3. Again this is not about personal faith, so you assume to know posters thoughts on welcoming a Muslim of the same belief system as Pence? Show me a high profile Muslim invited to Sligo who advocates for conversion therapy and I'm sure the same people will respond in the same way. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

4. Not nonsense at all. Cllr Jerry Lundy is a representative of the council and as such had discussed extending an invite to Pence. He had to initially back track on the council inviting him and work with the Tubbercurry chamber of commerce for the invite instead.

Nothing I can say will increase the ridiculousness of someone who calls people delusional, and then goes onto prove themselves uninformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I cannot read anywhere in this quote above where it equates "Christian beliefs with believing in conversion therapy for the LGBT community". What Mr. Joe made is a factual statement that the man is entitled to his beliefs, which he is. It sickens me too how modern liberalism shuns and scorns anyone who even vaguely disagrees with their viewpoint and are not at all willing to accept other viewpoints.

Whatever about statements he has made during the campaign, he is a political leader and one should look at his achievements and leadership he has provided in the past in all arenas such as the economy, education, health care and so on. Because in every day life these are the things that matter most to people. You all say look at the bigger picture here, well I think most of you have actually missed it, I for one have no problem to welcome this man to Sligo as Vice President of the USA, what an opportunity it is to promote the county to our largest provider of inward investment and jobs, to showcase the county on worldwide TV and a large US audience for example. Bigotry can have its place, but get it in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

Red Sheds wrote: »
    I cannot read anywhere in this quote above where it equates "Christian beliefs with believing in conversion therapy for the LGBT community". What Mr. Joe made is a factual statement that the man is entitled to his beliefs, which he is. It sickens me too how modern liberalism shuns and scorns anyone who even vaguely disagrees with their viewpoint and are not at all willing to accept other viewpoints.

Whatever about statements he has made during the campaign, he is a political leader and one should look at his achievements and leadership he has provided in the past in all arenas such as the economy, education, health care and so on. Because in every day life these are the things that matter most to people. You all say look at the bigger picture here, well I think most of you have actually missed it, I for one have no problem to welcome this man to Sligo as Vice President of the USA, what an opportunity it is to promote the county to our largest provider of inward investment and jobs, to showcase the county on worldwide TV and a large US audience for example. Bigotry can have its place, but get it in context.
    I very much agree actions speaker louder than words in my mind. It is actually sad how much the modern Left and Liberals have changed, these days they just want to censor and ban everything that a loud minority of them disagree with. And thats all this is, because several people in this thread don't even live in Sligo. Back in the day, real Liberals were proponents of free speech, and against censorship of any description. How the tables have turned. You can be sure if the Leader of Saudi Arabia landed in Sligo, these people wouldn't be saying anything. It would be sad if a minority of these far left activists soiled the repuation of the Sligo area.

I very much agree actions speaker louder than words in my mind. It is actually sad how much the modern Left and Liberals have changed, these days they just want to censor and ban everything that a loud minority of them disagree with. And thats all this is, because several people in this thread don't even live in Sligo. Back in the day, real Liberals were proponents of free speech, and against censorship of any description. How the tables have turned. You can be sure if the Leader of Saudi Arabia landed in Sligo, these people wouldn't be saying anything. It would be sad if a minority of these far left activists soiled the repuation of the Sligo area.

Hi joe,

You seem to have cherry picked from one reply you liked, refused to reply to my points and then reiterated your nonsense from your original post.

Probably those liberals fault, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

Hi joe,

You seem to have cherry picked from one reply you liked, refused to reply to my points and then reiterated your nonsense from your original post.

Probably those liberals fault, eh?

Of course he did, he is free to do so, just like you cherry picked a reply you did not like and analysed by your own metrics. I am sure Joe, just like me supports and encourages expression of opinion and diverse viewpoints without personal judgement being attached to them.

• Advertisement

Red Sheds wrote: »

Of course he did, he is free to do so, just like you cherry picked a reply you did not like and analysed by your own metrics. I am sure Joe, just like me supports and encourages expression of opinion and diverse viewpoints without personal judgement being attached to them.

Of course Joe is entitled to do ignore posts he is incapable of replying to. Nothing I said suggested otherwise.

I simply enjoy when those shouting about PC going mad, for everything, and also about lefty liberals being delusional cannot or won't reply when the inaccuracies and nonsense in their own thoughts and posts are highlighted.

If Joe, like you, enjoys personal expression without judgement being attached, presumably immediately calling people delusional isn't the greatest example of expression without judgement. Made worse by the 'delusions' being true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

"I'm sick of these over-entitled princesses who think that any failure by anyone else to welcome views they disagree with is "censorship". "
    Found that on the opener of the after hours thread... On mobile though and forget the posters username to credit. Seems appropriate though!

Anyway considering Sligo voted for the marriage equality bill hardly surprising someone who actively works against equality didn't get an invite. Good to see some politicians show some morals for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Plazaman wrote: »

I don't think the Tubber chamber invited him either. It was one person associated with the chamber who was asked and gave his views in what looked like an official invitation. AFAIK no official decision has been made yet in Tubber and a lot of the locals and chamber members would be very strongly against him visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Jayop wrote: »
    Tubber and a lot of the locals and chamber members would be very strongly against him visiting.
    You'd probably find as many people who'd welcome him as those who'd be against him visiting with the vast majority not caring either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You'd probably find as many people who'd welcome him as those who'd be against him visiting with the vast majority not caring either way.

I've not spoken to a single one who'd welcome him.

Advertisement