Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadlift grip issue

• 16-11-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Was deadlifting last night and while not lifting massive weight (130kg) I was losing my grip on the bar. Is a standard (non Olympic) 6ft bar. Hands were not sweaty etc and use the mixed grip technique. Was not having any problem lifting the weigh however after 3 reps I couldn't keep my hands closed on the bar.

Is it possible to improve your grip strength and if so is there any specific exercises for this? Or is this just part of the lift as a whole and will improve as I lift more.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Rub some chalk on your hands or get some liquid chalk.

The knurling of the bar makes a difference too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was deadlifting last night and while not lifting massive weight (130kg) I was losing my grip on the bar. Is a standard (non Olympic) 6ft bar. Hands were not sweaty etc and use the mixed grip technique. Was not having any problem lifting the weigh however after 3 reps I couldn't keep my hands closed on the bar.

Is it possible to improve your grip strength and if so is there any specific exercises for this? Or is this just part of the lift as a whole and will improve as I lift more.

As Hanley suggested, or lifting straps.

Some people think you're cheating yourself out of something by using straps, but DL's are a back exercise so don't worry about relieving your grip of some of the work to hit your back harder.

There are tonnes of grip strength exercises, personally I think they're a complete waste of time. And I'm competitive in a sport which requires huge grip strength, if there was truly a grip strength exercise which worked or was worth the effort for the time one would put into it (the exercise) I'd be jumping all over it.

So in short, if you're training your back use chalk, liquid chalk as Hanley suggested is great or use straps. In time your grip/forearm strength will improve to a point at which your back is failing before your grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

First time using chalk was a revelation, smashed my max lift and number of reps.

Liquid chalk is less messy. If you use the blocks of chalk don't get it everywhere - keep it in a big plastic bag. Put your hands in the bag and chalk them up. rub off the excess while your hands are still in the bag.

Do NOT do this:
    powerliftingchalkcloudbw520.jpg

Had a fella one day try to tell me chalk was cheating (he was looking for excuses to not deadlift heavy).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thanks for the responses will look into chalk and straps.

Is a using a belt a purely person issue and not related directly to weight?

A lot of gyms frown upon loose chalk, and tbh a lot of times I don't blame them. It can be messy, and just like loose plates left about the floor if you're asking members not to use too much chalk (as illustrated in the photo above) you're pretty much wasting your time.

You can go for a chalk sock (or ball) like THIS (as an example).

You rub the sock/ball into your hands and it releases just enough chalk to grip up with.

Alternatively an old remedy was to beg, steal or borrow lol a pair of ladies tights, fill the foot, twist the material (so the chalk doesn't spill out), then turn it inside itself a few times with the chalk tightly compressed. With feel you'll know when to stop and use it like the bag in the link above.

But that's a very old trick, much easier to buy a sock/bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you're a masochist and don't particularly require any feeling in your thumbs you could learn to use hookgrip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks for the responses will look into chalk and straps.

Is a using a belt a purely person issue and not related directly to weight?

Liquid chalk is handiest and least messy option. Then chalk ball or block.

How do you mean a belt being a person issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Had a fella one day try to tell me chalk was cheating (he was looking for excuses to not deadlift heavy).

Geinuinely lol'd at that. Some people will literally look for any excuse to compensate for being weak.

Liquid chalk is handiest and least messy option. Then chalk ball or block.

How do you mean a belt being a person issue?

I meant is there a weight range where it is generally recommended to use a belt or is it purely a personal decision?

I meant is there a weight range where it is generally recommended to use a belt or is it purely a personal decision?

When you put it on is a personal decision. I might put it on for last warm up before working sets.

But the actual weight range is dependenton what your max is. It's all relative.

• Advertisement

When you put it on is a personal decision. I might put it on for last warm up before working sets.

But the actual weight range is dependenton what your max is. It's all relative.

So if say my 1RM was 150kg, what weight would it be advisable to use a belt?

Out of interest why do you use for a warm up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

If you're using the belt for your work set(s) it is worth using it towards the end of the warmup - where you're getting closer to the work-set weight. So you are warming up for the movement in the same way you're going to do the main part.

I generally don't use a belt for deadlifting until I'm above ~85% 1RM. It hard to say what is advisable for YOU, you need to get as feel for it yourself. Belt should help you lift more weight, but it does not protect you from poor technique.

Anywhere you can buy straps in the city center? Preferably south side, Grafton street area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

grip strength will increase over time ... I struggle with my grip and it what has been the limiting factor in increasing my PB.

As for the belt .. it is personal preference, I don't particularly like belts when doing reps unless it is in the 85% range .. when I am at competition I only put the belt on for the last warm-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anywhere you can buy straps in the city center? Preferably south side, Grafton street area.

Try D8 fitness. About 15 minute walk from stephens green.

It's more just to do the last warm up the same as I'd be doing top sets. But I don't always use it then. I might only use it for top sets.

It's not necessarily always a function of the weight you lift. If what you're lifting is heavy relative to your max, then put on a belt. It will help you brace properly if you use it correctly.

It's not a case of using the belt when you're at 75% of your max. Once you use it, you'll have a better idea of how it feels and when you might want to put it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Argos in Stephens green

Try D8 fitness. About 15 minute walk from stephens green.

D8 Fitness, spend in the industry and don't be wasting your money in Argos.. Plus the guys in D8 will give you lots of good advice too.

I think their canvass straps are either €8 or €10, or they've leather straps for €15.. Go with the canvass, I bought the leather recently and tbh the jury is sill out on them.

They're up Cork Street, about two hundred meters from the Kevin St, Cork St junction.

D8 Fitness, spend in the industry and don't be wasting your money in Argos.. Plus the guys in D8 will give you lots of good advice too.

I think their canvass straps are either €8 or €10, or they've leather straps for €15.. Go with the canvass, I bought the leather recently and tbh the jury is sill out on them.

They're up Cork Street, about two hundred meters from the Kevin St, Cork St junction.

Thanks. Agree 100% and normally would however when I checked my phone yesterday for replies I was literately standing outside Stephens Green so just popped into Argos as was limited on time.

Wow the straps made a big difference. After struggling to do 3x3 at 130kg on Tuesday, last night hit 3x6 at 130kg after doing 2x10 at 110kg.

One thing that was strange was that I found it easier to use a standard grip rather than the mixed grip I was using before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Thanks. Agree 100% and normally would however when I checked my phone yesterday for replies I was literately standing outside Stephens Green so just popped into Argos as was limited on time.

Wow the straps made a big difference. After struggling to do 3x3 at 130kg on Tuesday, last night hit 3x6 at 130kg after doing 2x10 at 110kg.

One thing that was strange was that I found it easier to use a standard grip rather than the mixed grip I was using before.

you kinda need to do double over hand with using straps .. I can't even think how you'd use the straps with a mixed grip.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    you kinda need to do double over hand with using straps .. I can't even think how you'd use the straps with a mixed grip.

Good to know. Learning everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I always use double overhand / standard grip with straps. It just makes sense :)

Advertisement