Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony accounts compromised - upgrade your security

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Why anyone wouldn't use 2fa on any and every service that allows it is beyond me. The second it was available I activated it and have it set on everything else that allows it too. Sony took far too long to introduce it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jonnycivic wrote: »
    THERE STILL HAS BEEN NO PSN SECURITY BREACH!!!!

And you can prove this I assume. (You can't)

The expert you quoted cannot confirm it either. He just confirmed that there was no sign of the data on the dark web when the hack had reached its peak.

Every online platform is vulnerable to penetration and the PSN network has a rather poor security record. If we are led to believe people used the same login credentials across varies services how was PSN the only online service to be compromised with fraudulent charges?
    Sony still haven't given any appropriate & detailed response yet (weeks later) which isn't good IMO.

I'd like to see an investigation by an independent body. Probably the UK data commissioner. They'll get to the bottom of the issues at PSN.

• jonnycivic wrote: »

How do you know this? Some of us think otherwise.

What's also interesting and quite odd is that a couple of digs were let fly in the previous thread before it got shut down because people held a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

The expert you quoted cannot confirm it either. He just confirmed that there was no sign of the data on the dark web when the hack had reached its peak.

Every online platform is vulnerable to penetration and the PSN network has a rather poor security record. If we are led to believe people used the same login credentials across varies services how was PSN the only online service to be compromised with fraudulent charges?
    Sony still haven't given any appropriate & detailed response yet (weeks later) which isn't good IMO.

I'd like to see an investigation by an independent body. Probably the UK data commissioner. They'll get to the bottom of the issues at PSN.

Why would you drag up a week old thread for that answer ... :confused:

I know loads of ppl with Ps4 and not one has had any problems with their accounts ( at least 4 in direct family + all my son's school mates which is in the 20's + ) . I have made it my business to ask as many as I could about the issue and asked my son to ask in school also . I do believe that his is all a personnel security issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Why would you drag up a week old thread for that answer ... :confused:

Usernames check out, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, you bring me proof that Sony have been hacked then we can continue this conversation... until then go and troll elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's also interesting and quite odd is that a couple of digs were let fly in the previous thread before it got shut down because people held a different opinion.

If you have a problem with posts then go ahead and report them, I'm sure the mods have already seen the posts so you may quit with the trolling!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note Please do not make any accusations of trolling or otherwise on thread, it is not appropriate and only drags discussion in unwelcome directions.

If you have a problem with posts or a poster, please report them. Rest assured we look at and note all of them. We are very much aware of the sort of carry-on that has been taking place over the last couple of weeks - with users from both sides of the argument involved - and have and will continue to take action where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You can't set up an investigation by an independent body without there being proof of wrongdoing. So far, weeks later, there is still no proof. And if the issue is being caused by something outside of Sony's control, how could they give a detailed response? They've already said that they see no way in which it was done through PSN, and considering how it's only affecting UK & Irish people lends weight to the theory it's not a hack of PSN/Sony itself.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

Penn wrote: »
    You can't set up an investigation by an independent body without there being proof of wrongdoing.
    The very nature of an investigation is to establish proof and uncover facts. We wouldn't hear of many investigations occurring in all areas if proof had already been established.
    The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner may investigate complaints made by the general public or carry out investigations proactively. The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner may, for example, authorise officers to enter premises and to inspect the type of personal information kept, how it is processed and the security measures in place. A repository of case studies is available on the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner website
    The UK have the information commissioner with similar powers.

So far, weeks later, there is still no proof.
    Sony is not going to provide any proof highlighting negligence. Which is why I firmly believe there should be an investigation to take a good look at the PSN Network. With the sheer number of compromised accounts and fraudulent charges I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of one shortly.

Surely we can at least agree that an investigation by the UK information commissioners office into the issues at PSN Network would be a great move for PSN network customers.
    And if the issue is being caused by something outside of Sony's control, how could they give a detailed response? They've already said that they see no way in which it was done through PSN, and considering how it's only affecting UK & Irish people lends weight to the theory it's not a hack of PSN/Sony itself
    IMO, its happening frequently enough to warrant an investigation.

We don't know if its out of Sony's control so an investigation would be the ideal thing to conduct. Regarding a detailed response Sony have now had a few weeks to look at this hack and if they don't know where the compromised data is coming from that is not good sign by itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mod note Please do not make any accusations of trolling or otherwise on thread, it is not appropriate and only drags discussion in unwelcome directions.

*snip*

The very nature of an investigation is to establish proof and uncover facts. We wouldn't hear of many investigations occurring in all areas if proof had already been established.

Sony is not going to provide any proof highlighting negligence. Which is why I firmly believe there should be an investigation to take a good look at the PSN Network. With the sheer number of compromised accounts and fraudulent charges I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of one shortly.

Surely we can at least agree that an investigation by the UK information commissioners office into the issues at PSN Network would be a great move for PSN network customers.

We don't know if its out of Sony's control so an investigation would be the ideal thing to conduct. Regarding a detailed response Sony have now had a few weeks to look at this hack and if they don't know where the compromised data is coming from that is not good sign by itself.

So Sony now apparently need to have access to external companies servers and all to be able to tell that your data was taken from one of these companies??
    They dont know where the compromised data is coming from because its not coming from their domain its coming from someones elses to which they have no access so they cannot confirm that your data came from there either!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Alright folks, I just want to make the current situation crystal clear here and what we're doing about it.

It's easy to see there have been shall we say tensions between groups of posters on this forum in recent weeks. We are fully aware of the various accusations being thrown around about groups of posters and individuals, and have been keeping a close eye on them. Several users - from both sides of the argument - have been warned, infracted or banned as a consequence (both recently and in the longer term), and while we try to use 'light touch' moderation wherever possible, we will take action where appropriate to ensure posters aren't disrupting the forum for others.

Being critical of Sony or Playstation is not in-and-of itself trolling - this is not a forum for constant sunshine and roses about a multinational company, and there's plenty of situations when they don't deserve much defending. Relentless negativity, however, or needlessly aggressive posts can be incredibly disruptive, and rest assured we are keeping an eye to see if and when that line is crossed. We keep note of any such patterns in posting, too, lest accumulative action be warranted. If we don't visibly act on a reported post, that doesn't mean we haven't noted it.

In this particular thread, there is clearly strong feelings on both sides. There are legitimate concerns and legitimate defences. Please respect that.

If you feel a poster is being less than sincere or difficult in their approach: please try to ignore it. It's really the easiest way to deal with it. Report it if needed, and you don't have to reply. Trolls by definition thrive on the outrage and strong reactions they provoke, so if you think someone is trolling just report it. As much as we encourage debate, nobody benefits from a couple of posters just constantly shouting back and forth at each other. Don't say anything that will put yourself in line for mod action either, as we really don't want to have to issue cards or bans on that basis.

Hopefully that clears everything up. I would encourage everybody to try and relax a little bit, as any more overt attempts at causing hassle or pointless provocation will be acted upon - after all, we are just talking about a video game console! Thanks to all regular contributors for keeping this a busy and active forum that needs very little mod attention most of the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You're talking about a full-scale investigation of a company, not checking about one or two individual cases. That requires a hell of a lot more evidence behind it in order to justify it.

Not if there doesn't need to be. And when Sony were hacked before, they admitted so, sorted it out and took it on the chin. They risk far more by trying to hide it and having it come out than by admitting it, ensuring people have to change passwords/security settings, and move on.

How frequently is frequently? Let's not forget, the percentage of people this has happened to is relatively small considering how many people have PS4s, even if you isolate the UK & Ireland alone. Obviously more people are going to post/tweet etc that their account has been hacked than those whose haven't.

Wikipedia has 3m PS4s sold in the UK up to Jan 2016, so let's say it's 4m now. How many PS4 users have been affected by this? For argument's sake, let's take it as 10,000 as an example, even though I don't believe it's anywhere near that high.

10,000 would equal 0.25% total PS4 users. Quarter of one percent.

This isn't the hack of 2011. This is a small number of accounts having issues, some of which Sony have said they put the block on themselves due to suspicious activity, and lifted the blocks once they confirmed the account was with the right owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I don't believe it's that bad numbers wise I just feel for those of us affected

It's a shame it's an issue at all really.

After what happened in 2011 people are naturally very cautious re Sony's security.

I now don't use cards I buy credit it's much safer

So Sony now apparently need to have access to external companies servers and all to be able to tell that your data was taken from one of these companies??
    They dont know where the compromised data is coming from because its not coming from their domain its coming from someones elses to which they have no access so they cannot confirm that your data came from there either!!!

They might or might not know where the compromised data comes from. Data leaves a trail. There will no doubt be a pattern amongst all the effected PSN network users.

My point is to come at this independently. We should not take PSN or any other online network on their word. I disagree with your statement.

As you mentioned proof yourself in earlier posts you still have no proof that Sony was not hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

As you mentioned proof yourself in earlier posts you still have no proof that Sony was not hacked.

That's the same argument that religion uses to prove God exists ( I say there is no god as I see no evidence of a God , you say ... but you can't prove that God does not exist . It's a meaningless argument because you can posit anything you like and I will have to disprove it , and with quantum laws , just about anything is possible )
    I see no evidence that Sony was hacked and I have discussed this issue with a number of people that I know and know of with none being affected .

Where is your evidence that Sony was hacked ?

They might or might not know where the compromised data comes from. Data leaves a trail. There will no doubt be a pattern amongst all the effected PSN network users.

My point is to come at this independently. We should not take PSN or any other online network on their word. I disagree with your statement.

I provided you with a confirmation that Sony themselves have stated there has been no hack. I'm pretty sure they know how to check their own systems and a statement from Sony is still more proof than anything provided against them.

I provided you with a confirmation that Sony themselves have stated there has been no hack. I'm pretty sure they know how to check their own systems and a statement from Sony is still more proof than anything provided against them.
    That is not proof that PSN was not breached.

To be making posts saying with absolutely certainty that PSN was not breached you need to lend much more weight to your argument other than stating oh well, Sony said this....

On my side of the fence I am saying where there is smoke there is fire. I am not posting that PSN was compromised with absolute certainty however I am stating that there is more than enough disgruntled, defrauded customers to warrant an investigation of PSN to establish if things are air tight at PSN.

Surely you'd welcome that as a PSN user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

That is not proof that PSN was not breached.

To be making posts saying with absolutely certainty that PSN was not breached you need to lend much more weight to your argument other than stating oh well, Sony said this....

On my side of the fence I am saying where there is smoke there is fire. I am not posting that PSN was compromised with absolute certainty however I am stating that there is more than enough disgruntled, defrauded customers to warrant an investigation of PSN to establish if things are air tight at PSN.

Surely you'd welcome that as a PSN user.

At least there has been some statements made that claim there has not been a hack on Sony directly, hell I don't know if there has or has not but I don't go repeating idiotic arguments over multiple threads trying to put down Sony, I don’t think anyone here is flat of defending them either, they are just going on the facts to date.

This is a company like all the others, I owe them nothing. I come here for informative posts and a bit of banter. It has been said numerous times before, bring the evidence, not these obviously uninformed blind opinions.

• Advertisement

dudeeile wrote: »
    At least there has been some statements made that claim there has not been a hack on Sony directly, hell I don't know if there has or has not but I don't go repeating idiotic arguments over multiple threads trying to put down Sony, I don’t think anyone here is flat of defending them either, they are just going on the facts to date.
    I also would have preferred if there was only one thread discussing this hack. Its important to highlight that I did not create 3 threads to discuss this topic.
    dudeeile wrote: »
    This is a company like all the others, I owe them nothing. I come here for informative posts and a bit of banter. It has been said numerous times before, bring the evidence, not these obviously uninformed blind opinions.

There is more than enough compromised accounts and fraudulent charges to warrant an investigation.

The common ground at least we can all agree on here is the matter should be investigated. You can't procure evidence without an investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ugh. Went to the PS store last night and could not sign in. Check my emails and there is a mail on 08/11 to say my password has successfully been changed. I never requested a change.

I have mailed PSN now but not expecting a quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

gimmick wrote: »
    Ugh. Went to the PS store last night and could not sign in. Check my emails and there is a mail on 08/11 to say my password has successfully been changed. I never requested a change.

Had you not turned on 2 step login? Absolute essential when dealing with this to be honest.

Afraid not. And now when I go to try change my password its saying my email address is not valid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

madcabbage wrote: »
    Had you not turned on 2 step login? Absolute essential when dealing with this to be honest.

Think the problem is not everyone is aware of it. Sony only introduced it in August (apparently) but I only activated it recently after seeing people hacked in this forum and mentioning the 2 step login.
    Generally it gets sorted afaik but it can be a long drawn out process

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Don't expect a quick response from them, but change your password immediately yourself and turn on 2FA.

Don't expect a quick response from them, but change your password immediately yourself and turn on 2FA.

I cant as my email address is not even being recognised.

Strange as my PS+ renewed itself yesterday without any issues.

I cant as my email address is not even being recognised.

Strange as my PS+ renewed itself yesterday without any issues.

Are you still able to log on to the PSN on your PS4?

No. I cant access the store and when I turn on the PS it asks me to sign into PSN.

I was away on holidays for a few weeks and only turned it on for the first time in about 3 weeks yesterday.

• Advertisement

No. I cant access the store and when I turn on the PS it asks me to sign into PSN.

I was away on holidays for a few weeks and only turned it on for the first time in about 3 weeks yesterday.

OK then don't wait around for a response to your email, ring them immediately. You may be waiting for a while for someone to answer but that sounds serious. Also check activity on whatever payment method you have associated with the account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement