Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony accounts compromised - upgrade your security

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thanks. Will ring them. But aside from my PS+ auto re sub there has been no financial activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Right. Rang them. Turns out my PS+ wasn't auto renewed. It was a different payment for €20 that was taken from my paypal. They have fixed my account and are investigating the unauthorised payment.

Thanks for the help gents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see no evidence that Sony was hacked and I have discussed this issue with a number of people that I know and know of with none being affected.

The it doesn't affect me or people I know argument isn't really all that helpful to anyone that is affected by this.
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    I provided you with a confirmation that Sony themselves have stated there has been no hack. I'm pretty sure they know how to check their own systems and a statement from Sony is still more proof than anything provided against them.

I wouldn't be too quick to take Sony at their word considering Sony denied any hack back in 2011 for a few days before actually admitting it all the while peoples personal information was leaked. I've seen other companies do worse as well, videogamesplus.ca just flat out ignored the issue and didn't post any warnings when they were hacked, I only knew I was affected at the time when someone helpful here PM'ed me my email and password for the site.

You might be right but it's also strange that only PSN has been targeted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The it doesn't affect me or people I know argument isn't really all that helpful to anyone that is affected by this.

I wouldn't be too quick to take Sony at their word considering Sony denied any hack back in 2011 for a few days before actually admitting it all the while peoples personal information was leaked. I've seen other companies do worse as well, videogamesplus.ca just flat out ignored the issue and didn't post any warnings when they were hacked, I only knew I was affected at the time when someone helpful here PM'ed me my email and password for the site.

You might be right but it's also strange that only PSN has been targeted.

PSN is been targetted because of all the websites that have popped up selling games on accounts etc. There is serious money to be made in it so they will attack it where possible, if I bought lets say BF1 for 80 and my account was compromised. They can sell my details on for 30 a go and the demand would be quiet high for a game only released with such a discount so they could make hundreds in a matter or hours.

The thing is Sony have looked into it, they have made a statement on the matter which is more than anyone else has done because everything else has just been wild speculation so far with zero facts. The whole purpose of this thread is to highlight the fact that peoples accounts may not be secure and not only their playstation accounts but any of their online accounts. What it has turned into blatant sony bashing which is ridiculous and for that reason alone I wont be bothering much with the playstation forum anymore which is a shame considering I have contributed alot of good to the forum over the last few years. So on that note I hope everyone secures their accounts and I will prob see you all in other areas of boards :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's probably some truth in that but I doubt it's because of the prices they can get for content. I'd say the very late and only recent introduction of 2 step verification has made hackers have a crack at it knowing most people won't have activated it yet making it an easy target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

There's probably some truth in that but I doubt it's because of the prices they can get for content. I'd say the very late and only recent introduction of 2 step verification has made hackers have a crack at it knowing most people won't have activated it yet making it an easy target.

What is this supposed to mean? With the introduction of 2factor it's never been more secure, without it, it's no less than its ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yes, that seems most likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is no definitive evidence it wasn't a hack. There is no definitive evidence it was a hack.

Can we at least agree after thousands of words that that's pretty much the situation as it stands? :pac:

PSN is been targetted because of all the websites that have popped up selling games on accounts etc. There is serious money to be made in it so they will attack it where possible, if I bought lets say BF1 for 80 and my account was compromised. They can sell my details on for 30 a go and the demand would be quiet high for a game only released with such a discount so they could make hundreds in a matter or hours.
    The same websites also sell Xbox games on profiles and Xbox hasn't seen any spike in compromised accounts across social media channels however I get what you mean that profiles are very valuable commodities now that we purchase many games digitally. Thats why I think its very important that the matter at PSN be looked into.

I don't really understand the defense against this. Surely its a great thing to ensure the highest standards are being met.

The thing is Sony have looked into it, they have made a statement on the matter which is more than anyone else has done because everything else has just been wild speculation so far with zero facts.

I really would not trust any online company to police themselves and be in a position to exonerate themselves from any wrong doing in relation to a potential breach of personal data. A vague statement from Sony has no weight what so ever.

Evidence, facts, proof cannot not be obtained until an investigation commences.

dudeeile wrote: »
    What is this supposed to mean? With the introduction of 2factor it's never been more secure, without it, it's no less than its ever been.

Sony announce they are introducing 2 step verification and it's like a beacon to hackers that it's not yet implemented. So they attack Sony before the well runs dry while people still haven't it set up.

It's actually a way more likely scenario than a hack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What it has turned into blatant sony bashing which is ridiculous and for that reason alone I wont be bothering much with the playstation forum anymore which is a shame considering I have contributed alot of good to the forum over the last few years. So on that note I hope everyone secures their accounts and I will prob see you all in other areas of boards :)

Just on this point: this forum has never and will never be a place for only endless positivity about Sony, even if by its very nature it will of course host many Playstation fans. Nor is it a place for relentless negativity, and numerous mod actions have been taken in response to that. Frankly, we have been accused of being both too generous to Sony fans and to Sony critics recently, so I hope the reality is a middleground :pac:

As I said in a previous post, as mods we are fully aware of how posters have behaved both recently and in the long-term, and have discussed that at length. Bans have been issued in several cases. We will continue to do so.

Hands up: I personally don't see any real evidence Sony's servers have been hacked. Nor do I think it is anyway unreasonable to call for an investigation into the matter, as there has been an irregular amount of compromises. Posters are fully entitled to express the latter opinion. If that crosses over with a pattern of negative trolling (as it has in one or two cases), that will be taken into account - but at the same time we can't restrict people from posting for suggesting what is hardly an outrageous request :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just on this point: this forum has never and will never be a place for only endless positivity about Sony. Nor is it a place for relentless negativity, and numerous mod actions have been taken in response to that. Frankly, we have been accused of being both too generous to Sony fans and to Sony critics recently, so I hope the reality is a middleground :pac:

As I said in a previous post, as mods we are fully aware of how posters have behaved both recently and in the long-term, and have discussed that at length. Bans have been issued in several cases. We will continue to do so.

Hands up: I personally don't see any real evidence Sony's servers have been hacked. Nor do I think it is anyway unreasonable to call for an investigation into the matter, as there has been an irregular amount of compromises. Posters are fully entitled to express the latter opinion. If that crosses over with a pattern of negative trolling (as it has in one or two cases), that will be taken into account - but at the same time we can't restrict people from posting for suggesting what is hardly an outrageous request :)

Ah I said before I will blame Sony and rip into if they are to blame but I'm not out running around with pitchforks calling for Sony to be punished without proof of wrongdoing and digs about them been an underhanded company. Look I honestly dont care anymore, less and less people are using the playstation forum these days and there's a reason for that and now I will be joining them as this is my last post in the forum. I'm not going to waste my own time anymore in here because that's all I have been doing by the looks of it so I'm out, good luck

• What reasons??? The PS forum looks as busy as its ever been
    I just don't understand this type of comment
    I can agree with retro, I think the introduction of the two step process flagged it for hackers as a quick win because of potential vulnerability

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BigJimsCack

Ah I said before I will blame Sony and rip into if they are to blame but I'm not out running around with pitchforks calling for Sony to be punished without proof of wrongdoing and digs about them been an underhanded company. Look I honestly dont care anymore, less and less people are using the playstation forum these days and there's a reason for that and now I will be joining them as this is my last post in the forum. I'm not going to waste my own time anymore in here because that's all I have been doing by the looks of it so I'm out, good luck

Jesus....don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Ah I said before I will blame Sony and rip into if they are to blame but I'm not out running around with pitchforks calling for Sony to be punished without proof of wrongdoing and digs about them been an underhanded company. Look I honestly done care anymore, less and less people are using the playstation forum these days and there's a reason for that and now I will be joining them as this is my last post in the forum. I'm not going to waste my own time anymore in here because that's all I have been doing by the looks of it so I'm out, good luck
    Asking for an investigation is more than warranted and reasonable in this case. There is sure to be some serious money involved regarding fraudulent charges so I have no doubt one will take place.

An investigation is to establish the facts. I can only see this as a very positive move for all parties.

I think affected PSN customers deserve comprehensive answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Oh great looks like I'm the latest to get my account hacked on the playstation network

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Oh great looks like I'm the latest to get my account hacked on the playstation network

Sucks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

How much did they take? Really nervous about leaving any link to a card on psn

Really nervous about leaving any link to a card on psn

Well don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

How much did they take? Really nervous about leaving any link to a card on psn

Just set up the 2 step verification, it's simple to do and should solve most people's issues going forward.

I'm still thinking it's a leak from another site as my psn email and password are seperate from everything else I use online as I have had it so long, and use this particular email only for psn.

• Advertisement

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'm still thinking it's a leak from another site as my psn email and password are seperate from everything else I use online as I have had it so long, and use this particular email only for psn.
    Wouldn't that actually be evidence that the data was compromised direct from the source at PSN UK :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Wouldn't that actually be evidence that the data was compromised direct from the source at PSN UK :confused:

Has his data been compromised...............:confused:

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Has his data been compromised...............
    Ah, I see. I thought it was a poster earlier who was compromised.

Wouldn't that actually be evidence that the data was compromised direct from the source at PSN UK

I don't see how as I haven't been hacked, my point was that for the guys who maybe use the same email and passwords elsewhere online that activating 2 step verification would be a sensible precaution to take.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I don't see how as I haven't been hacked, my point was that for the guys who maybe use the same email and passwords elsewhere online that activating 2 step verification would be a sensible precaution to take.
    Its a good point however some PSN users have stated on the previous thread that they had a specific email account for PSN and then we also had some people confirm that they did use the same email and password as other services so Its a bit of a head scratcher

I hope we get to the bottom of it. It would be interesting to know.

With 2 step verification finally up and running I'd say the party is now over for hackers on the PSN network.

Mine was compromised but I do use the email and password elsewhere, still getting a little strange that it appears to be psn affected and that's what there changing the details on.

I don't think they've taken anything (yet!) But I'm keeping an eye on it

SeanHarty wrote:
    Mine was compromised but I do use the email and password elsewhere, still getting a little strange that it appears to be psn affected and that's what there changing the details on.

I did see a lot of these Sony "hacks" start to happen around the time of the data dump on the dark Web of theb 280 minion yahoo hacked account details.

Obviously I'm no expert but I'd imagine that's where a lot of the details used against Sony came from.

As for Sony lying about being hacked I have my doubts as back at the time of the big breach Sony just stayed silent until they had no choice but to deal with it.
    This is exactly what yahoo did this time, they stayed quiet despite being informed until all the chatter on dark web made its way to mainstream.

The fact Sony have came right out and said basically it's not us lads. Makes me doubt they've been hacked as it would get them crucified if it ever came out they were in fact breached.

Any way just my 2c on it.
    And remember to activate 2 step verification it's simple and secures your account

Thunk the only things I use that same password and email combo on is psn and Gmail but I could be wrong. Don't even have a yahoo account so it wasn't through that hack anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

I went to play my ps3 tonight and my ps3 prompted me to log into my network, this was surprising as it usually automatically connects. I couldnt remember my password so I went online to change it. When I put in my email address a message came up that said invalid email address. I know this is not the case and this is definitely the email address I used to sign up to the PSN network originally. I then decided since the system was recognizing this email address as invalid just to sign up from scratch . The sign up through the net on my laptop worked but when I went to log into my account on my ps3 I got another message saying you can not sign in using another persons user sign in ID(email address) This is a joke, its me . I am the user. How can Sonys systems be so backward. It definitely looks like I have been hacked , any recommendations to solve the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Tell Sony your account has been compromised.
    When you get your account back, set up 2-step verification.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement