Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony accounts compromised - upgrade your security

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

F1ngers wrote: »
    Tell Sony your account has been compromised.
    When you get your account back, set up 2-step verification.

How the hell are these hackers able to change ones email address without having access to the persons email account? Surely a confirmation email to the persons email address would be a very easy fail safe to implement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Enter your email address and then check any usernames you use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

How the hell are these hackers able to change ones email address without having access to the persons email account?

What make you think they don't have access to your email account associated to your PSN sign-in?
    Surely a confirmation email to the persons email address would be a very easy fail safe to implement

Have you checked back through your emails to see if there is any "your password has been changed" emails from Sony.
    I know when I change my password that I get a notification email from Sony confirming same.
    Once they change your password, it's a no-brainer to change the email address so that you're locked out of your account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

What make you think they don't have access to your email account associated to your PSN sign-in?

Have you checked back through your emails to see if there is any "your password has been changed" emails from Sony.
    I know when I change my password that I get a notification email from Sony confirming same.
    Once they change your password, it's a no-brainer to change the email address so that you're locked out of your account.

There was an email yesterday and it sure wasn't me that changed it

There was an email yesterday and it sure wasn't me that changed it

So your sign-in to PSN was compromised.
    Check here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Get onto Sony and they will have a look at it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just seeing this now scary stuff

Sony really need to invest in security twice in 2 years
    thankfully i dont have my cc linked to my account.

then again they did have passwords stored in a plain text document
    so it shouldnt really surprise me at all.
    you'd just think your 50 euro a year would be put to some use

dunworth1 wrote: »
    just seeing this now scary stuff

Sony really need to invest in security twice in 2 years
    thankfully i dont have my cc linked to my account.

then again they did have passwords stored in a plain text document
    so it shouldnt really surprise me at all.
    you'd just think your 50 euro a year would be put to some use

This has nothing to do with Sony though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

We don't really know to be fair.

Sony says its nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

We don't really know to be fair.

Sony says its nothing to do with them.

And no one has provided any evidence to contradict Sony over the past few weeks ... so I guess we have to believe Sony to date ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

And no one has provided any evidence to contradict Sony over the past few weeks ... so I guess we have to believe Sony to date ;)
    We are still waiting to hear if an investigation is launched into the hack by the information commissioners office in the UK.

Evidence can only be found at PSN UK so I wouldn't expect Sony to come out and highlight their inadequacies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

We are still waiting to hear if an investigation is launched into the hack by the information commissioners office in the UK.

Evidence can only be found at PSN UK so I wouldn't expect Sony to come out and highlight their inadequacies.

You are making a lot of assumptions once again in your obvious flaming statements Failsafe .

1 / You use the word " Hack " You or no one else has provided any information to show any evidence of a " Hack " at Sony .

2 / If there is no " Hack " at Sony , then you will never find any evidence at " PSN UK "

3 / What are the " Inadequacies " that you claim Sony has ... or is this just your opinion ?

Why can't you just go away and let it go . You just keep annoying everyone in here with your constant jabs at Sony . If there was any evidence even mentioned on the entire web about a potential hack at Sony , I'm 100% sure you would of brought it to all out attentions by now . You at this lark about 2 weeks now and you have come here with nothing but your opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

as failsafe mentioned we do not actually know if its sonys issue yet
    I'd rather be safe than sorry and going by sony's track record
    people are currently taking a pretty bug gamble.

sony are currently denying but who's to say that they are not having an internal investigation at the moment a company like Sony will do everything in its power to keep the bad press away especially so close to the big sales period

yes I'm aware that there's no proof they have been hacked but there's none that they haven't either

dunworth1 wrote: »
    yes I'm aware that there's no proof they have been hacked but there's none that they haven't either

That's a good enough reason to lock this thread.

Just going round in circles.

As soon as someone has conclusive proof of a "hack", you can PM me and I will reopen the thread.

Change your passwords, regularly on all your sites you frequent and use 2-step verification wherever it is enabled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement