Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted by a Cyclist MOD WARNING post #44

Options
  • 16-11-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I often see and hear of cyclists getting abused by motorists as they show up on their helmet cams. I wanted to share what happened to me this morning for constructive feedback.

I was driving with my pregnant partner and our toddler to the rotunda this morning across through Phisborough direction and right at the Witworth road where crossguns snooker club is a taxi was pulling out to turn right at the yellow box. I see this every morning as the nudge out to check the oncoming traffic.

Anyway a handful of cyclists where flying down the road while the cars where travelling at snail pace. They all seen the taxi coming across the yellow box for his right turn and just maneuvered around him as he was waiting for the all clear to turn.

Anyway this mad aul lad took exception to it and cycled directly to the taxi and was banging on the car panels as hard as he could. I was sitting directly facing it and the taxi man and his passengers where waving this looney off and drove away.

The crack pot then stood in the box as the taxi drove off, blocking me and the queue behind me still screaming and shouting. I beeped at him and singled to get a move on which he took exception to. I rolled down my window and say cop on ye idiot, move yer f'ing bike he's gone and you're holding up the road. The buses and all where beeping, a little bit like a nutter having a meltdown.

I ended up cutting around him because he was freaked and only got as far as that shopping centre traffic lights when I seen him cut across the road and bang on my window then. I rolled it down and he was leaning into my car. I told him to get the 'feck' of my car. He then looked in, seen the toddler and missus and actually gave me a box in the head. No joke or messing around, an actual box in the face. I jumped out of the car like a looney myself and he cycled as quick as he could off and I set chase on foot. The other half had to jump into the drivers seat.

Anyway he got away as my legs are what they once where. We've just finished in the hospital, my face isn't really swollen and I didn't call the gardai because number 1 we where in a rush and number two bikes don't have registrations. But now my tooth bridge which is cemented in has been disturbed, it's loose and feels like it's about to drop out. So obviously off to the dentist with me but it's defo as a result of this box he gave me although it didn't feel super hard.

What's happening in the world when people have outbursts like this. Granted I set chase on foot like a mad man but it was just the shock of getting the box. Would you bother reporting it, is there any point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Sounds like a pair of eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I'm getting the popcorn ready!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

amcalester wrote: »

Good feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Sit and wait for him the next morning . Follow him to where he is going . Give the garda a call or return the unwanted gift he gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Joshua5 wrote: »
    The crack pot then stood in the box as the taxi drove off, blocking me and the queue behind me still screaming and shouting. I beeped at him and singled to get a move on which he took exception to. I rolled down my window and say cop on ye idiot, move yer f'ing bike he's gone and you're holding up the road. The buses and all where beeping, a little bit like a nutter having a meltdown.

What's happening in the world when people have outbursts like this. Granted I set chase on foot like a mad man but it was just the shock of getting the box. Would you bother reporting it, is there any point?

You shouldn't have got involved with someone you thought was a crackpot. Going looking for confrontations is not a smart move.

• Advertisement

Joshua5 wrote: »
    Good feedback

Why get involved? You said yourself you only got as far as the shopping centre traffic lights so how long was he really holding you up.

If someone is being an idiot on the road, stay back let them be and then when they've regained their senses proceed.

Beeping, shouting and cursing at someone who is obviously very riles up was a bit silly thing to do and was only going to exacerbate the situation.

So while the cyclist was being a dick, and shouldn't have punched you it could have been avoided by not getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The fact the guy was on a bike is irrelevant, treat it the same as you would if you were assaulted by someone on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The normal advice given to cyclists who feel they've been wronged is to avoid escalation because you never know how loopy the other party is.

I guess the same applies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

I sadly had something similar a few weeks ago... guy on a bike kicking a car and then standing in the middle of the junction in Douglas village shouting and roaring... he looked like an office worker in his 50's so not a usual nutter I was guessing...

Anyway when I and others beeped at him to move, he bangs on my window... I open it to tell him to stop... he says all motorists are pr@@cks, I am a bastard and my 7 YO daughter in the car is a c@@nt... I drove off at this point...

A few weeks earlier a Alfa type with a big red beard took exception to me beeping at him when cycling across my path as I drove out of a junction where I had the light... kicked my car, threatened to kill me and then said his bike was worth more than my "piece of sh@t" car

Lovely people cyclists!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

It's an assault irregardless of him being a cyclist. I had a lad banging on my car window last week in Kilkenny as I honked him for having no lights or hi vis. It was dark and just wanted to let him know that I couldn't see him, especially with traffic coming towards me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Get a grip will you. Cyclist looks into car, sees wife and child and boxes the driver? Perfectly understandable to get out in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh FFS.

I had a car driver threaten me once, should I think everyone sitting in a car is an asshole (something I do a lot more these days than sitting on a saddle)?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

what other types of cyclists are there, other than 'people cyclists'?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As above. Guy is obviously an imbecile and ideally would be done for the physical violence.

However, perhaps due to concerns and stress that come with pregnancy you were one edge. Swearing at him and beeping might be taken as a threat. To someone who is obviously an imbecile or an edge themselves he took it too far.

We need to stop saying "cyclist" "driver" etc and humanise it. This was a person on a bike. You were a person in a car. He was an asshole and you were maybe on edge.

Hopefully karma gets him

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great actions and language from adults around kids. The guy is an idiot but you engaged with him when you were on the way to the hospital with your wife and kid? If this guy hadn't a bike he'd still probably have hit you.

Anyway, there are idiots everywhere, on bike, buses, trains and cars. Engaging with them is the part to ignore.
    Hope your pregnant wife and toddler aren't too shook.

Lumen wrote: »
    Oh FFS.

I stand by what I say... SJWs calling my 7 YO a c@@nt? My experience is that it is cyclists doing this... no car drivers threatening me or abusing me...

givyjoe wrote: »
    Get a grip will you. Cyclist looks into car, sees wife and child and boxes the driver? Perfectly understandable to get out in that case.

The OP did initiate the contact, still the guy on the bike is obviously an arsehole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Why get involved? You said yourself you only got as far as the shopping centre traffic lights so how long was he really holding you up.

If someone is being an idiot on the road, stay back let them be and then when they've regained their senses proceed.

Beeping, shouting and cursing at someone who is obviously very riles up was a bit silly thing to do and was only going to exacerbate the situation.

So while the cyclist was being a dick, and shouldn't have punched you it could have been avoided by not getting involved.

Human beings are imperfect, easy to say don't get involved but when someone gets a punch in the face its a lot easier said than done.
    Don't consider myself a hardman or a fighter of any sort, but I reckon I'd do the same had it happened to me. I wouldn't be proud of it but I'm not sure that I'd have any control over it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I had a car driver threaten me once, should I think everyone sitting in a car is an asshole (something I do a lot more these days than sitting on a saddle)?

Big man... come over here and say that... as another cyclist roared at a car as he blocked the south mall one day...

• Advertisement

I stand by what I say... SJWs calling my 7 YO a c@@nt? My experience is that it is cyclists doing this... no car drivers threatening me or abusing me...

Ive had lots of folks in cars threaten me. Ive seen lots of folk in cars threaten other drivers too. People get threatened on busses all the time too. Stop generalising. Some people are d!cks regardless of their transport method

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Aggressive idiot commits a crime - his mode of transport isn't really part of the equation. If it is any help, he probably follows the same route on a regular basis. As said you could try and spot him. What you do then is another question: follow and report, get a photo so you have something to show the guards.

You should have filed a report on the day and given a description. Do you have photos of any injuries at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Weepsie wrote: »
    The OP did initiate the contact, still the guy on the bike is obviously an arsehole

Reasonable contact though, i.e. stop blocking the junction and everyone else behind me too.

SJWs ........cyclists doing this... no car drivers threatening me or abusing me...

Cyclists are SJWs, you have that mentality? And you have been abused by other motorists, you just don't hear them as they do it from the safety of their vehicles.
    Big man... come over here and say that... as another cyclist roared at a car as he blocked the south mall one day...

Do you know that most murderers use cars as a getaway vehicle. I don't feel comfortable conversing with you, you being likely to track me down and kill me and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I sadly had something similar a few weeks ago... guy on a bike kicking a car and then standing in the middle of the junction in Douglas village shouting and roaring... he looked like an office worker in his 50's so not a usual nutter I was guessing...

Anyway when I and others beeped at him to move, he bangs on my window... I open it to tell him to stop... he says all motorists are pr@@cks, I am a bastard and my 7 YO daughter in the car is a c@@nt... I drove off at this point...

A few weeks earlier a Alfa type with a big red beard took exception to me beeping at him when cycling across my path as I drove out of a junction where I had the light... kicked my car, threatened to kill me and then said his bike was worth more than my "piece of sh@t" car

I had a guy say that about someone's car on this year's MB160. I told him he was an embarrassment and gives cyclists a bad name.

But even before that the OP was aggravating the situation by beeping, shouting and cursing at the cyclist who was obviously not going to react well to this.

So again, the cyclist was a dick but this could all have been avoided by the OP ignoring him and moving on once the cyclist had finished his tantrum.

I'm not trying to excuse the cyclist's behaviour here, but we're all accountable for our own actions and here the OP could have acted differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Maybe you just can't hear the car drivers doing it.

Not defending that guys actions but the reality is he did it because he is a c**t not because hes a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Never roll your window down and never get out of your car when altercations like this happen, first rules of avoiding road rage attack.

Reasonable contact though, i.e. stop blocking the junction and everyone else behind me too.

No problem with a driver blocking said junction though only moments before? I know where he's talking about. The junction gets blocked by cars constantly.

Its similar to how I get sh!+ for cycling in the bus lane from drivers yet they don't see a problem with private cars who are not supposed to be in them.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Human beings are imperfect, easy to say don't get involved but when someone gets a punch in the face its a lot easier said than done.
    Don't consider myself a hardman or a fighter of any sort, but I reckon I'd do the same had it happened to me. I wouldn't be proud of it but I'm not sure that I'd have any control over it.

The OP got involved before the punch was thrown by beeping, cursing and shouting at the cyclist.

Had he ignored him, then no punch would have been thrown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement