Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted by a Cyclist MOD WARNING post #44

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cyclists are SJWs, you have that mentality? And you have been abused by other motorists, you just don't hear them as they do it from the safety of their vehicles.

Do you know that most murderers use cars as a getaway vehicle. I don't feel comfortable conversing with you, you being likely to track me down and kill me and all that.
    And I am out of here... cycling echo chamber...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And I am out of here... cycling echo chamber...

What echo chamber? The issue is that you realise you don't actually have a proper argument at all and you're just going the usual route of these things by generalising people based on a particular mode of transport they happen to be using at the time,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭coolbeans

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What echo chamber? Is the issue that you realise you don't actually have a proper argument at all?

Remember now, it's all about how the OP 'feels', not what actually happened. Logic and facts don't apply when lazy generalisations are so much more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

fyp

Assaulted by a Cyclist person on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

amcalester wrote: »
    The OP got involved before the punch was thrown by beeping, cursing and shouting at the cyclist.

Had he ignored him, then no punch would have been thrown.

Yeah, completely his own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

amcalester wrote: »
    But even before that the OP was aggravating the situation by beeping, shouting and cursing at the cyclist who was obviously not going to react well to this.

So again, the cyclist was a dick but this could all have been avoided by the OP ignoring him and moving on once the cyclist had finished his tantrum.

I'm not trying to excuse the cyclist's behaviour here, but we're all accountable for our own actions and here the OP could have acted differently.

Just to add to a few of the comments, it only happened this morning so I'm just wondering if it's even worth reporting. Like I just don't see the garda taking it seriously so it might be a waste of my time.

Secondly, the only thing I did to engage him was beep and wave my hand to signal to move on. He was freaking thats why I rolled down the window and started to say cop on. He was blocking the entire road having a wobbler.

I did drive off then and he cycled down and came across lanes to my driver side to confront and attack me. While I wasn't nice because he was banging my car and hanging into my window he was out of order with the sucker punch.

I probably shouldn't have took chase on foot, in hindsight I should have just let him hit me in the fact, bang my car, and be abusive towards me for asking him to move himself. God forbid you'd tell someone to cop on when they are being a jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Joshua5 wrote: »
    a little bit like a nutter having a meltdown.

Regardless of how he was making his way about, he probably was a nutter. OR just an asshole.
    ...I didn't call the gardai because...

No, you were assaulted. You should have rang the Gardai.

His bicycle wasn't the cause of your encounter, the guy was. As you said yourself, every other cyclist on the road was doing just fine. He'd likely have done the same if he was a pedestrian, motorist, motorcyclist or truck driver.

*Request to change thread title to 'Assaulted by a Nutter'.

I probably shouldn't have took chase on foot, in hindsight I should have just let him hit me in the fact, bang my car, and be abusive towards me for asking him to move himself. God forbid you'd tell someone to cop on when they are being a jerk.

In fairness, you had your pregnant wife and toddler in your car, why would you invite hassle like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

You did nothing wrong. Report this guy he needs to be punished for this.

PaulieC wrote: »
    In fairness, you had your pregnant wife and toddler in your car, why would you invite hassle like that ?

He gave me a box in the face while I sat in my car. He went out of his way to confront me for beeping and waving him on while he was blocking the road having a rant. It was a split second decision, when someone hits you you react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Just to add to a few of the comments, it only happened this morning so I'm just wondering if it's even worth reporting. Like I just don't see the garda taking it seriously so it might be a waste of my time.

Secondly, the only thing I did to engage him was beep and wave my hand to signal to move on. He was freaking thats why I rolled down the window and started to say cop on. He was blocking the entire road having a wobbler.

I did drive off then and he cycled down and came across lanes to my driver side to confront and attack me. While I wasn't nice because he was banging my car and hanging into my window he was out of order with the sucker punch.

The guy was being a prick, there's no doubt about that. The issue we have on here is because one cyclist does something bad a load of idiots hop on all cyclists and apply the "a blight on all their houses" rule. I give you for example George Hook. It's a logical fallacy and makes no sense and results in needless and dangerous hostility toward all cyclists, most of whom are normal human beings.
    I wish the OP a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you did report he probably cycles that route everyday at more or less the same time so if you a description the guards may be able to follow up. I know if I did anything similar on my route the guards wouldn't have much difficulty picking me out.

It appears he was looking for a fight for whatever reason, and when the taxi driver didn't engage and you did he diverted his attention to you. I'm not saying that you deserved to be assaulted, of course you didn't, but it could have been avoided.

Report it, and hopefully the guards will be able to track him down and charge him.

But, honest question, if a motorist had gotten out of his car and was shouting and roaring in the middle of the road would you have beeped at him?

I wouldn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The next person to generalise any group on this thread gets a straight red card and a permanent ban from this forum.
    Simples
    • All pedestrians are not the same
    • All cyclists are not the same
    • All motorists are not the same

Anyone saying different can rant somewhere else with their nonsense

He gave me a box in the face while I sat in my car. He went out of his way to confront me for beeping and waving him on while he was blocking the road having a rant. It was a split second decision, when someone hits you you react.

I've been there and know how you feel at that moment and long ago probably would have reacted the same way, but you have to remember that it's not just you now. Taking this to a far-fetched conclusion, but what if you had've caught up with him and he hit you again and knocked you out or worse, fatally assaulted you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

There has to be another forum more appropriate for this thread, it definitely doesn't belong in the cycling forum.

coolbeans wrote: »
    The guy was being a prick, there's no doubt about that. The issue we have on here is because one cyclist does something bad a load of idiots hop on all cyclists and apply the "a blight on all their houses" rule. I give you for example George Hook. It's a logical fallacy and makes no sense and results in needless and dangerous hostility toward all cyclists, most of whom are normal human beings.
    I wish the OP a speedy recovery.

I didn't mean to offend anyone saying cyclist. I was just putting context around the story. The tooth will be cemented back in tonight and the hospital visit with herself indicated it's a BOY!

I guess I just wanted to hear if people think I should report it. Herself says I should because the guy was a nutter but I'm not as bothered because it just involves effort and I don't think the garda will have the resources or even bother to investigate. How are they going to arrest him? That I suppose is the reason I say cyclist, how can you point one out when there is no reg of anything for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op contact garda or go into local station and report it. Try and remember time and if there were any busses in the area as CCTV could be got but that has to be done within 3 days or footage is gone.

Also any bank or shop CCTV so do it fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I didn't mean to offend anyone saying cyclist. I was just putting context around the story. The tooth will be cemented back in tonight and the hospital visit with herself indicated it's a BOY!

I guess I just wanted to hear if people think I should report it. Herself says I should because the guy was a nutter but I'm not as bothered because it just involves effort and I don't think the garda will have the resources or even bother to investigate. How are they going to arrest him? That I suppose is the reason I say cyclist, how can you point one out when there is no reg of anything for that matter.

Of course report it. People get assaulted all the time unfortunately. Out on the street, going about their business. People don't carry a reg on their backs. If only to get it on the record, but give the full story including your part. You may see him again and be able to get a pic of him or more detail. Likely nothing will happen, but it should still be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Had a similar situation last year, driver on the M50 kept switching lanes and it annoyed me. I ended up infront of him on the slip road and slowed down to annoy him, he then over took me and i gave him the finger as he went by, he then drove into me on purpose. got out and few words said then he drove off. reported to guards but heard no more about it.

Was a big wake up call for me how quickly things can escalate, if id just ignored what happened would not have ended in a confrontation. Its just not worth the aggro

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Trekker09 wrote: »
    It's an assault irregardless of him being a cyclist. I had a lad banging on my car window last week in Kilkenny as I honked him for having no lights or hi vis. It was dark and just wanted to let him know that I couldn't see him, especially with traffic coming towards me.

You couldn't see him?
    How do you know
    who you were "honking" at then?

Ah, probably a Ninja cyclerist.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Of course report it. People get assaulted all the time unfortunately. Out on the street, going about their business. People don't carry a reg on their backs. If only to get it on the record, but give the full story including your part. You may see him again and be able to get a pic of him or more detail. Likely nothing will happen, but it should still be reported.

I just rang the station closest to me to report it but they said I need to go into the local station where the incident happened. It's out of my way and on the basis that it's likely nothing will happen I'm not sure if I'm that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I just rang the station closest to me to report it but they said I need to go into the local station where the incident happened. It's out of my way and on the basis that it's likely nothing will happen I'm not sure if I'm that bothered.

That's wrong for starters but you are better going in to it. As they would be better to deal with that area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mooeire wrote: »
    I ended up infront of him on the slip road and slowed down to annoy him, he then over took me and i gave him the finger as he went by, he then drove into me on purpose. got out and few words said then he drove off. reported to guards but heard no more about it.
    did you tell the gardai that you'd deliberately slowed down to annoy him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Op, you should report it. At the very least you'll get your teeth paid for and the cyclist might learn to calm his behaviour down.

If it happened outside Phibsboro Shopping Centre then there's plenty of CCTV coverage there, you could try asking the shops or the shopping centre, not sure if they'll give it to you or not. The Dublin Bus might also have CCTV on it, some of them have it installed now. Dublin City Council also have CCTV in that area as well.

At the very least ask them to hold onto the footage, maybe use a solicitor to request that they store it rather than deleting it or recording over it.

Mountjoy is the nearest Garda station. If you get no success from the desk officer ask politely to see the duty sergeant to get things moved on a bit. Follow up on any progress after a couple of days.

People like yer man tend to be aggressive no matter what they are up to, he may have mental issues, more likely he's just somebody on a short fuse. I'd follow it up anyway.

Best of luck with the baby BTW !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Trekker09 wrote: »
    It's an assault irregardless of him being a cyclist. I had a lad banging on my car window last week in Kilkenny as I honked him for having no lights or hi vis. It was dark and just wanted to let him know that I couldn't see him, especially with traffic coming towards me.

You clearly did see him...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

did you tell the gardai that you'd deliberately slowed down to annoy him?

Might have left that bit out :) Stupid decision by me that i have learnt from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

You started by cursing at him, you are to blame for starting the altercation, no he shouldn't have hit you two wrongs don't make a right but learn from it before going off the handle at someone. YOU can sure as hell expect retribution in the world we live in today. It doesn't matter if he looked in and saw a kid and pregnant women because you were cursing in front of both your kid and pregnant wife, that is no different to hitting in my eyes.

Yes report it but it was brought on by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Spot checked past posts there of some of the people blaming the motorist for starting it, or saying it's his fault. All regular posters of the cycling forum, ie cyclists. Surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Strange that in a cycling forum alright.

I think it's been a fair enough thread (in parts) on what happened. He didn't help his cause but you don't expect that reaction either. OP has been given good advice about how to report it, where to report it and where might have CCTV of the incident. And all from cyclists!

• Advertisement

You started by cursing at him, you are to blame for starting the altercation, no he shouldn't have hit you two wrongs don't make a right but learn from it before going off the handle at someone. YOU can sure as hell expect retribution in the world we live in today. It doesn't matter if he looked in and saw a kid and pregnant women because you were cursing in front of both your kid and pregnant wife, that is no different to hitting in my eyes.

Yes report it but it was brought on by yourself.

I started nothing, we will have to agree to disagree. I was gong about my business, he attacked a taxi in front of me which was none of my business and didn't involve me. That was up until he held up the line of traffic which I was front of the line and had somewhere to be. I had every right to wave him on a beep.

As for the cursing, I drove on and got stopped at lights. He raced down to meet me and cut across the lanes to come to my drivers window and started banging on that. I rolled it down and told him to get the fck away from my car. The incident had nothing to do with me until he in fact went out of his way to attack. Hardly brought on myself... While he might not have liked what I said I didn't say it for no reason. I said it because 1- He blocked the road in his moment of having a fit and two because he banged on my window, got aggressive and he was told to go and you know what.

Whats your suggestion, sit there and let him hold me up. Let him bang on my car window and rant and rave at me for getting him to move. Cop on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement