Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted by a Cyclist MOD WARNING post #44

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

OP you are on a hiding to nothing here.

Mention a cyclist's bad behaviour and the kneejerk "but motorists are as bad" is instantly unleashed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

did you tell the gardai that you'd deliberately slowed down to annoy him?

Told you OP.

Never their fault, ever. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

joey100 wrote: »
    Strange that in a cycling forum alright.

I think it's been a fair enough thread (in parts) on what happened. He didn't help his cause but you don't expect that reaction either. OP has been given good advice about how to report it, where to report it and where might have CCTV of the incident. And all from cyclists!

I have had good advice which I appreciate. Slightly flabbergasted though at the mentality that you should let people disrupt your day and if you say something or do something you are to blame.

In perspective the cyclist was having a wobbler because the taxi he thought blocked him. I beeped the cyclist because he was blocking the road after the incident was over. Yet he had another wobbler.

So it's kind of contradictory to suggest I'm to blame when I was just held up by one guy ranting over another only to be followed and attacked. He went out of his way to kick and hit the panels of the taxi, he then blocked the road. He didn't like me waving him on and followed me to the lights and then proceeded to bang on my car window. Wheres the logic? I'm to blame for telling someone to cop on and fck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

You started by cursing at him, you are to blame for starting the altercation, no he shouldn't have hit you two wrongs don't make a right but learn from it before going off the handle at someone. YOU can sure as hell expect retribution in the world we live in today. It doesn't matter if he looked in and saw a kid and pregnant women because you were cursing in front of both your kid and pregnant wife, that is no different to hitting in my eyes.

Yes report it but it was brought on by yourself.

Retribution and escalation are two different things. While I agree that the OP was not right to start shouting at the person in question, and did initiate the altercation, physical assault is not responding in kind either; it is escalation, pure and simple. You may equate/not distinguish between profanity and physical assault, which is your prerogative, but in reality this is very subjective and I don't think most people would see them as being equal. If you start viewing verbal expressions of frustration as being the same as physical violence, then it's a small step to viewing assault with a weapon as being the same as a punch, which it rarely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

OP you are on a hiding to nothing here.

Mention a cyclist's bad behaviour and the kneejerk "but motorists are as bad" is instantly unleashed.

Did you read the replies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

You started by cursing at him, you are to blame for starting the altercation, no he shouldn't have hit you two wrongs don't make a right but learn from it before going off the handle at someone. YOU can sure as hell expect retribution in the world we live in today. It doesn't matter if he looked in and saw a kid and pregnant women because you were cursing in front of both your kid and pregnant wife, that is no different to hitting in my eyes.

This post is beyond moronic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Told you OP.

MOD VOICE: Congratulations

mooeire wrote: »
    Had a similar situation last year, driver on the M50 kept switching lanes and it annoyed me. I ended up infront of him on the slip road and slowed down to annoy him, he then over took me and i gave him the finger as he went by, he then drove into me on purpose. got out and few words said then he drove off. reported to guards but heard no more about it.

Was a big wake up call for me how quickly things can escalate, if id just ignored what happened would not have ended in a confrontation. Its just not worth the aggro
    did you tell the gardai that you'd deliberately slowed down to annoy him?
    Told you OP.

Where was there anything specific to a cyclist in this entire incident? Nowhere. Put away the axe, you'll not find a grinding stone for it here.

cython wrote: »
    Retribution and escalation are two different things. While I agree that the OP was not right to start shouting at the person in question, and did initiate the altercation, physical assault is not responding in kind either; it is escalation, pure and simple. You may equate/not distinguish between profanity and physical assault, which is your prerogative, but in reality this is very subjective and I don't think most people would see them as being equal. If you start viewing verbal expressions of frustration as being the same as physical violence, then it's a small step to viewing assault with a weapon as being the same as a punch, which it rarely is.

At what point did i start the altercation? If you can enlighten me. Was it as I beeped to move him on for blocking the road after I sat patiently while he banged the taxi and held up traffic or is it because I rolled my window down when he followed me down the road and started banging on my car window cursing. I'd like to see where you view the beginning of this altercation

Told you OP.

Who is 'their' in this case? That story was about 2 drivers, there were no cyclists involved.

Get the chip off your shoulder ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Told you OP.

Nonsense. You claim EVER, but you didn't even read all of this thread. Some people decide their bias and won't change their mind. Ever.

SteM wrote: »
    Who is 'their' in this case? That story was about 2 drivers, there were no cyclists involved.

Get the chip off your shoulder ffs.

I think he's referring to the fact that a number of posters are saying I'm responsible for the altercation. Something I actually can't get my head around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

... It doesn't matter if he looked in and saw a kid and pregnant women because you were cursing in front of both your kid and pregnant wife, that is no different to hitting in my eyes.

This thread has well and truly jumped the shark!

Op, you started nothing, the taxi or the nutter attacking the taxi started it, or the same nutter blocking the road and impeding your progress, ignore everyone trying to blame the victim, yes you made some mistakes too but HE got physical, HE is to blame and HE should be reported.

Joshua5 wrote: »
    At what point did i start the altercation? If you can enlighten me. Was it as I beeped to move him on for blocking the road after I sat patiently while he banged the taxi and held up traffic or is it because I rolled my window down when he followed me down the road and started banging on my car window cursing. I'd like to see where you view the beginning of this altercation

Quite frankly, when you beeped at him. Up to that point, you were a bystander. You then engaged with him. You may not have intended to start anything and intended to simply be on your way, but unless he is/was even more unhinged than you have described, the odds of this guy spontaneously taking a notion to come over to you were a lot less than the odds of you getting a reaction to beeping and waving at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

i remember one day walking on rathgar road and cyclist giving driver tons of abuse from what i could see had no basis. driver got out and fistycuffs naturally ensued. the cyclist went home with his tail between his legs and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Hopefully he'll keep at it.. won't be long before someone puts him right. Coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

joshua5 don't mind the stupid comments this was not your fault thats for sure there are some proper tools out there

cython wrote: »
    Quite frankly, when you beeped at him. Up to that point, you were a bystander. You then engaged with him. You may not have intended to start anything and intended to simply be on your way, but unless he is/was even more unhinged than you have described, the odds of this guy spontaneously taking a notion to come over to you were a lot less than the odds of you getting a reaction to beeping and waving at him.

When you are driving on a public road and someone impeded your journey you can beep and you can wave on. Driving is an activity requiring engagement with other road users, plain and simple. I waited long enough while he hit the taxi and held me up. I wasn't waiting any longer.

I think he's referring to the fact that a number of posters are saying I'm responsible for the altercation. Something I actually can't get my head around either.

I wouldn't bother trying to get your head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In you original post you say you beeped an rolled down the window and shouted profanities at him.
    That was before he followed you.
    That's when you started the altercation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just rang the station closest to me to report it but they said I need to go into the local station where the incident happened. It's out of my way and on the basis that it's likely nothing will happen I'm not sure if I'm that bothered.

This is BS. I was mugged a few years ago and told the same thing by a garda on duty over the phone. Went to my local station and told them and they and their superior got in contact with the station nearest where the mugging occurred and the station I contacted and ripped them apart for not taking my statement. The local station (in relation to the crime) then contacted me, picked me up and took my detailed statement.

You've been fobbed off by some lazy git who gives the good Gardai a bad name, I'd be asking to make the statement/report and having them forward it to the relevant station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The crack pot then stood in the box as the taxi drove off, blocking me and the queue behind me still screaming and shouting. I beeped at him and singled to get a move on which he took exception to. I rolled down my window and say cop on ye idiot, move yer f'ing bike he's gone and you're holding up the road. The buses and all where beeping, a little bit like a nutter having a meltdown.

This is where you went wrong. This is where you started it

You didnt just beep and wave him on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's his commute route. If you do truly want to identify him in order to report him to the Gardai then you know what route he takes.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother trying to get your head around it.

I guess I'm just curious, certainly not offended by it. I'm just curious about the logic... The guy had issues and I had somewhere I needed to be.

It's like saying if a car was parked in the yellow box blocking you would sit in silence, but replace that car with a raging cyclist (specific to this individual not cyclists in general) and I'm the cause for beeping. He was obstructing the road, he had his moment with the taxi man and it ended. Time to move on, beep beep, wave wave... Simple

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I guess I'm just curious, certainly not offended by it. I'm just curious about the logic... The guy had issues and I had somewhere I needed to be.

It's like saying if a car was parked in the yellow box blocking you would sit in silence, but replace that car with a raging cyclist (specific to this individual not cyclists in general) and I'm the cause for beeping. He was obstructing the road, he had his moment with the taxi man and it ended. Time to move on, beep beep, wave wave... Simple

Why not beep at the taxi by the way. Also obstructing you, and doing so before the bike?

This is where you went wrong. This is where you started it

You didnt just beep and wave him on

I did beep, I did wave him on. He refused to move and took exception to the beep and wave. I then rolled down my window and had the words. Sure I could have just sat there but its a road. I wanted to be somewhere and he was in my way. A beep, a wave didn't do the trick so what do you expect. He started it obviously by blocking me and the other hundred cars in because of a temper tantrum with a taxi man who had then already left the scene. Simple. Thats the starting point.

If he had of moved on when his issue moved on, no beep, no wave, no words. I hope this helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I just rang the station closest to me to report it but they said I need to go into the local station where the incident happened. It's out of my way and on the basis that it's likely nothing will happen I'm not sure if I'm that bothered.
    You won't waste the Gardaí's time, but you'll waste ours.... Thanks for that.

Should just talk to Joe.

When you are driving on a public road and someone impeded your journey you can beep and you can wave on. Driving is an activity requiring engagement with other road users, plain and simple. I waited long enough while he hit the taxi and held me up. I wasn't waiting any longer.

I was slowing to a set of lights, with two cyclists to my left. All good. One of the cyclists pulled out a wee bit too make room for another cyclist, i beeped (literally a blip) to let her know how close i was to her. She looked and saw how close she was to me, gave me the thumbs up and a smile to say thanks.

Que white knight behind her kicking the side of my car. I roll down to ask what's that in aid of? He screams in shouting that i shouldn't be beeping at cyclists.. so out i get to see if any damage and he tries to scamper away. I managed to grab his bag and hold him till i was sure the door was OK.

His bravery disappeared nearly as fast as his peleton :)

Just put it down to some people are wierd. No amount of debating will help you understand them or their way of thinking.

Caliden wrote: »
    It's his commute route. If you do truly want to identify him in order to report him to the Gardai then you know what route he takes.

What's going to happen? The cyclist will deny it and that's the end of that. It's not like there's video evidence either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

joey100 wrote: »
    Strange that in a cycling forum alright.

I think it's been a fair enough thread (in parts) on what happened. He didn't help his cause but you don't expect that reaction either. OP has been given good advice about how to report it, where to report it and where might have CCTV of the incident. And all from cyclists!

Thread is trending on Boards, so people not from a cycling background will see it.

Funny that the ones not saying its his fault arent cycling heads.

"Strange that" ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement