Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted by a Cyclist MOD WARNING post #44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Joshua5 wrote: »
    Come on now. This is petty. The guy was blocking the road, the entire road. I was first in line and I might add I wasn't the only one beeping. The buses where beeping, cars you name it.

Should we all have waited for him to compose himself or for his medication to kick in? I started to move forward in my car and cars where even beeping me to progress. Of course I would beep and wave him on. Thats just stupid

Yes you should have waited. The guy was confrontational as you saw. He had no beef with you and would have moved off. Beeping at someone while moving towards them and shouting your own abuse is threatening.

You were not part of the initial altercation and you triggered the altercation that you had. It would never have happened if you controlled your temper.

I am not defending the guy as he should have let your anger pass and not got even more riled up himself. Even if he exchanged words with you he should not have hit you.

If you do get the guards to take a statement from you please make sure that you include the full story that you have been drip feeding here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No, I'm not sure the name of the road, but coming from the cemetery direction I went passed with Whitworth Rd onto the bridge. You know when you are in the right lane to filter in.

Straight after with Whitworth theres a pub and cross guns snooker hall. That road directly on the canal that leads to the main road has the yellow box.

The taxi was coming out of that road and turning right towards hearts corner. Does that make sense? As soon as he turned right the road in front was clear as it gets backlogged at the lights by the centre. That show long I was waiting for this chap to move on an he still didn't.

If he was turning from the road directly along the canal at the snooker hall, there is no right turn there between 7am and 10am (or something) which may be what got the cyclist riled up. Doesn't justify the bloke punching you in the face and two wrongs don't make a right but....
    Only asking because there are a fair few no right turns a long there so my initial reaction was the taxi was taking an illegal right turn (which would piss me off if I was in the car, never mind on the bike)

I would report it btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

AnneFrank wrote: »
    if someone is clearly riled you don't beep at him shaking your hand at him, especially when you have your wife and child in the car....

Just for reference....

gary-larsen.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm getting the popcorn ready!! :)

What do you think of it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

If he was turning from the road directly along the canal at the snooker hall, there is no right turn there between 7am and 10am (or something) which may be what got the cyclist riled up. Doesn't justify the bloke punching you in the face and two wrongs don't make a right but....
    Only asking because there are a fair few no right turns a long there so my initial reaction was the taxi was taking an illegal right turn (which would piss me off if I was in the car, never mind on the bike)

I would report it btw...

I just reported in now in person after hearing the daylight robbery from my dentist to cement the tooth back in... Felt like reporting him also. I just want the cost for my tooth repair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

givyjoe wrote: »
    Get a grip will you. Cyclist looks into car, sees wife and child and boxes the driver? Perfectly understandable to get out in that case.

If driver kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have happened ;) hence one of them is as big an eejit as the other.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If driver kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have happened ;) hence one of them is as big an eejit as the other.

Great logic, man holds up family on their way about their business and gets beeped at. Irrational man follows family and bangs window and sucker punches driver. Great logic, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

1bryan wrote: »
    what other types of cyclists are there, other than 'people cyclists'?
    Types of people ;)

Great logic, man holds up family on their way about their business and gets beeped at. Irrational man follows family and bangs window and sucker punches driver. Great logic, well done

Were you hoping for a reasonable response from an "Irrational man"

beauf wrote: »
    Were you hoping for a reasonable response from an "Irrational man"

I was hoping he'd move on since the issue he had also moved on. It's called common sense. I had no issue with his problem with the taxi man. But as soon as he left he should have moved on instead of having his frenzy because he was getting beeped left right and center. Granted I was top of the queue and beeped but its rush hour and people have places to be. The chap not only wouldn't let it go once the taxi man left but then he followed me down the road and had a second wobbler.

• Advertisement

You forgot the part about you threatening the irrational man by driving at him while beeping at him and shouting abuse. Not exactly as rosy as you are trying to make out now. No one agrees that he was right to punch you. However, you created the situation with a guy who you knew to be of questionable stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sometimes, no matter how much in the right you are, self preservation takes precedence.

The guy was clearly unhinged based on his previous altercation with the taxi and still steaming.

There's absolutely no excusing his actions, but best not to poke at the wound with a stick and just keep the head down until such a person clears off.

You forgot the part about you threatening the irrational man by driving at him while beeping at him and shouting abuse. Not exactly as rosy as you are trying to make out now. No one agrees that he was right to punch you. However, you created the situation with a guy who you knew to be of questionable stability.

I was driving at him, you've some imagination. I moved forwards and beeped. Snails pace... I never shouted abuse either, I tried the beep and wave on and when he refused I told him to cop the fck on and went around him. Hardly abuse. Now when he followed me down the road and started banging my car paid for with my hard earned wages I took exception and rolled down the window and told him where to go.

You'd make a good defense lawyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I just reported in now in person after hearing the daylight robbery from my dentist to cement the tooth back in... Felt like reporting him also. I just want the cost for my tooth repair

You'll have to take a civil case against him to get costs. The Gardai/ DPP will just bring assault charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

OP, you should report it at the garda station that covers the area. They may catch him, may not. They may know him already, or not. He may do it again, at which point your previous report might come in handy.
    In any event it will take you less time than you'll spend on this thread.
    Also, you need to brush up on your running skills.

I was hoping he'd move on since the issue he had also moved on. It's called common sense. ...

from an ..irrational man...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

I often see and hear of cyclists getting abused by motorists as they show up on their helmet cams. I wanted to share what happened to me this morning for constructive feedback.

I was driving with my pregnant partner and our toddler to the rotunda this morning across through Phisborough direction and right at the Witworth road where crossguns snooker club is a taxi was pulling out to turn right at the yellow box. I see this every morning as the nudge out to check the oncoming traffic.

Anyway a handful of cyclists where flying down the road while the cars where travelling at snail pace. They all seen the taxi coming across the yellow box for his right turn and just maneuvered around him as he was waiting for the all clear to turn.

Anyway this mad aul lad took exception to it and cycled directly to the taxi and was banging on the car panels as hard as he could. I was sitting directly facing it and the taxi man and his passengers where waving this looney off and drove away.

The crack pot then stood in the box as the taxi drove off, blocking me and the queue behind me still screaming and shouting. I beeped at him and singled to get a move on which he took exception to. I rolled down my window and say cop on ye idiot, move yer f'ing bike he's gone and you're holding up the road. The buses and all where beeping, a little bit like a nutter having a meltdown.

I ended up cutting around him because he was freaked and only got as far as that shopping centre traffic lights when I seen him cut across the road and bang on my window then. I rolled it down and he was leaning into my car. I told him to get the 'feck' of my car. He then looked in, seen the toddler and missus and actually gave me a box in the head. No joke or messing around, an actual box in the face. I jumped out of the car like a looney myself and he cycled as quick as he could off and I set chase on foot. The other half had to jump into the drivers seat.

Anyway he got away as my legs are what they once where. We've just finished in the hospital, my face isn't really swollen and I didn't call the gardai because number 1 we where in a rush and number two bikes don't have registrations. But now my tooth bridge which is cemented in has been disturbed, it's loose and feels like it's about to drop out. So obviously off to the dentist with me but it's defo as a result of this box he gave me although it didn't feel super hard.

What's happening in the world when people have outbursts like this. Granted I set chase on foot like a mad man but it was just the shock of getting the box. Would you bother reporting it, is there any point?

To answer your question. Report it if you have a good description of the cyclist. There's a very good chance he commutes through the same spot at that same time.
    I work from home now and I don't miss when I was commuting by car or bike, often coming across the freakshow acts like you and that cyclist displayed. Best of luck with your next altercation :)

Also, you need to brush up on your running skills.

they went like jelly after a few hundred meters, best bit of advice all day

laraido wrote: »
    To answer your question. Report it if you have a good description of the cyclist. There's a very good chance he commutes through the same spot at that same time.
    I work from home now and I don't miss when I was commuting by car or bike, often coming across the freakshow acts like you and that cyclist displayed. Best of luck with your next altercation :)

I thought personal insults where not allowed on Boards... I won't even try to rationalize with that statement. Best of luck working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I've been following this thread from the start, and it is time I gave my two cents.

Person on bicycle was in the wrong, for the original with the taxi, and the latter leading up to and including the assault.
    You were in the wrong. You can't claim that the use of the horn on the car was for safety reasons, if you then proceeded to tell him to "cop the f*ck on". You were frustrated at the lack of progress, but it is not grounds to do what you did. You escalated it, and it ended badly. You have reported it to An Garda Siochana, and you are right to do so, but that's as far as this goes.

Unfortunately, you are now on here disagreeing and getting indignant with anyone who believes that you shouldn't have acted in the manner in which you did. You seem desperate for justification that you were absolutely in the right, and are annoyed that yyou are not getting it, which, in all honesty, is not covering yourself in glory.

I think it may be time for you to wrap it up and move on.

P.S. Congrats to you and your wife on the baby.

• Advertisement

I was driving at him, you've some imagination. I moved forwards and beeped. Snails pace... I never shouted abuse either, I tried the beep and wave on and when he refused I told him to cop the fck on and went around him. Hardly abuse. Now when he followed me down the road and started banging my car paid for with my hard earned wages I took exception and rolled down the window and told him where to go.

Ah you flatterer :D I wouldn't though. I'm too honest. If I was appointed to defend someone and they tell me that they drove towards a man on the road while shouting out the window and beeping I'd have to say it to the judge. Just like if I knew that someone punched someone else regardless of the lead up I'd have to say that too. I honestly don't think I'd make much money as a result :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I thought personal insults where not allowed on Boards... I won't even try to rationalize with that statement. Best of luck working from home

Sounds like you only want to hear the opinions of people who agree with you:confused::confused:

Learn from it & Move on bud, you were very wrong , they were very wrong, end of story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No, I'm not sure the name of the road, but coming from the cemetery direction I went passed with Whitworth Rd onto the bridge. You know when you are in the right lane to filter in.

Straight after with Whitworth theres a pub and cross guns snooker hall. That road directly on the canal that leads to the main road has the yellow box.

The taxi was coming out of that road and turning right towards hearts corner. Does that make sense? As soon as he turned right the road in front was clear as it gets backlogged at the lights by the centre. That show long I was waiting for this chap to move on an he still didn't.

I knew where you were talking about. Canal bank road I think it's called. There are a few wrong here though.
    • Taxi can only go into box if turning right (which he is doing), but is not hindering the movement of traffic - This he is doing unless he doesn't regard bike traffic as traffic.
    • The cyclist was in that sense as entitled to give out for being hindered as you were as entitled to give out to the cyclist, but the cyclist really shouldn't have bothered and been patient
    • You shouldn't have bothered and been patient, same goes for the people beeping behind
    • The cyclist should have gone on their merry way but was obviously an eejit, the swearing at them didn't help no doubt. You escalated it a little, they went well overboard and need either anger management or some sort of counselling

So no parties in this covered themselves in glory, least of all the guy on the bike who should be done for assault. Taxi driver should learn that cyclists are traffic too, but cyclist should just learn to read traffic and slow down.

None of this is helped by it being a miserable morning. Traffic towards phibsborough was woeful today and people just are in bad moods in the morning generally.

If it helps in anyway, that guy is probably going to have some serious stress related illness

Sounds like you only want to hear the opinions of people who agree with you:confused::confused:

Learn from it & Move on bud, you were very wrong , they were very wrong, end of story.

Not at all, there are three parts to this event which I believe is getting taken out of context.

1- Altercation between cyclist and taxi man (Sat patiently until the incident moved on)

2- Incident was over for the world, taxi man left the scene so no reason for the cyclist to be still ranting and blocking the road. Yes I beeped, yes I waved him on. Yes when he was still having a wobbler I rolled down my window and said cop the fck on. and then I diverted around him when safe to do so and drove on until the next set of lights.

3- he cycled down and instead of continuing he proceeded across lanes, came to the drivers door and banged on my car window ranting. I rolled the window down I told him in colorful language to get away from my car, he stuck his head in the window and sucker punched me and cycled off.

Thats the ten minutes of my morning excitement. I'm not disagreeing with anyone other than the people that are saying I instigated it. I was not in the taxi, I was not on the bike. I was merly held up by the incident, waited and when it passed expected to move forward. He didn't let me and I went around him and went about my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Weepsie wrote: »
    I knew where you were talking about. Canal bank road I think it's called. There are a few wrong here though.
    • Taxi can only go into box if turning right (which he is doing), but is not hindering the movement of traffic - This he is doing unless he doesn't regard bike traffic as traffic.
    • The cyclist was in that sense as entitled to give out for being hindered as you were as entitled to give out to the cyclist, but the cyclist really shouldn't have bothered and been patient
    • You shouldn't have bothered and been patient, same goes for the people beeping behind
    • The cyclist should have gone on their merry way but was obviously and eejit, the swearing at them didn't help no doubt. You escalated it a little, they went well overboard and need either anger management or some sort
    So no parties in this covered themselves in glory, least of all the guy on the bike who should be done for assault. Taxi driver should learn that cyclists are traffic too, but cyclist should just learn to read traffic and slow down.

None of this is helped by it being a miserable morning. Traffic towards phibsborough was woeful today and people just are in bad moods in the morning generally.

If it helps in anyway, that guy is probably going to have some serious stress related illness

that's a bit mean ! personally, i hope he's reading this having a laugh to himself. At worst he had a bit of road rage and would have brushed it off till someone butted their nose in, when clearly they should have just laughed and waited a minute for him to move off.Life's too short to lose the rag over silly things like this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

AnneFrank wrote: »
    that's a bit mean ! personally, i hope he's reading this having a laugh to himself. At worst he had a bit of road rage and would have brushed it off till someone butted their nose in, when clearly they should have just laughed and waited a minute for him to move off.Life's too short to lose the rag over silly things like this

It's not mean. Someone who sees fit to escalate to physical violence has as far as I'm concerned some deeper issue. Anger management, or talking to someone could only help. Stress can be seriously hazardous to health too. Perhaps at least a realisation that they are so angry over something so small will do them good.

I used to get angry and flippant when I felt aggrieved at another road user. I still do from time to time, but learning to calm it down. It's not worth it. Some people are happy to keep going into the red zone of rage. I'm not, as you say, life's too short and there are more worthy things to be angry about

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

To me it looks like you poked the bear and paid the price. The guy was clearly already seeing red. There was no need to add fuel to the fire.

On the other hand you may be able to cross paths with the culprit again. The chances are he is a local or a commuter and will use that route regularly. You could probably report the assault to the gards and ask them to check the local businesses for CCTV...you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 raycre

Sounds like the guy on the bike was to blame. Managed to start two arguments back to back. There's no excuse for him hitting both cars or punching you even if you did beep him or eff him out of it. Total overreaction. He obviously cant control his temper. You should report him for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Not at all, there are three parts to this event which I believe is getting taken out of context.

1- Altercation between cyclist and taxi man (Sat patiently until the incident moved on)

2- Incident was over for the world, taxi man left the scene so no reason for the cyclist to be still ranting and blocking the road. Yes I beeped, yes I waved him on. Yes when he was still having a wobbler I rolled down my window and said cop the fck on. and then I diverted around him when safe to do so and drove on until the next set of lights.

3- he cycled down and instead of continuing he proceeded across lanes, came to the drivers door and banged on my car window ranting. I rolled the window down I told him in colorful language to get away from my car, he stuck his head in the window and sucker punched me and cycled off.

Thats the ten minutes of my morning excitement. I'm not disagreeing with anyone other than the people that are saying I instigated it. I was not in the taxi, I was not on the bike. I was merly held up by the incident, waited and when it passed expected to move forward. He didn't let me and I went around him and went about my business.

I cycle that route most mornings (no it wasnt me !!) and I see the same people every morning , so chances are hell be on that route tommorow again if youre so interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Roadhawk wrote: »
    To me it looks like you poked the bear and paid the price.
    the price you pay for beeping at someone is assault?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement