Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted by a Cyclist MOD WARNING post #44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I gobsmacked (no pun intended) at some of the responses to the OP!

No way did he deserve to be assaulted. It wasn't his fault and it's a big step from having a verbal altercation to getting punched. I've also noticed that the OP hasn't partaken in any of the usual finger pointing and bad mouthing of cyclists which is quite common is situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the price you pay for beeping at someone is assault?

And shouting profanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Well its not that simple...lets assess further...He didn't exactly just beep at someone it the way. He did however beep and approach a person who was already having a melt-down in the middle of the road. As he approached he engaged verbally with the cyclist. All of this would have added to instigating the assault.

If you were to beep at a person in a "regular" situation I'm sure this wouldn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Joshua5 wrote: »
    No, I'm not sure the name of the road, but coming from the cemetery direction I went passed with Whitworth Rd onto the bridge. You know when you are in the right lane to filter in.

Straight after with Whitworth theres a pub and cross guns snooker hall. That road directly on the canal that leads to the main road has the yellow box.

The taxi was coming out of that road and turning right towards hearts corner. Does that make sense? As soon as he turned right the road in front was clear as it gets backlogged at the lights by the centre. That show long I was waiting for this chap to move on an he still didn't.

This road? That's an illegal right turn during rush hour, he was probably cutting through from the North circular.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3642215,-6.2716932,3a,75y,178.09h,86.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1TvlDZnTppU1DdQ69qb7Gw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I've also noticed that the OP hasn't partaken in any of the usual finger pointing and bad mouthing of cyclists which is quite common is situations like this.

Is that because on the MOD warning on post #44...

• Advertisement

When that someone is obviously unhinged and acting violently I'd be inclined to leave them be.

It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Lunatic on bicycle confronts taxi driver... OP confronts said nutter on bicycle and gets punched in the face.

I'd report it but I'd also consider not doing dumb things in the future OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

There's a lot of victim blaming going on in this thread.

I wouldn't say the OP is an angel in the situation but I'd say there's few commenting who haven't had words with someone at some point in the past. A punch in the face is not an acceptable response for giving out to someone (though the person did sound like the type I think I'd bite my tongue at and ignore).

OP, you were right to report it, as others have suggested it's best to try & avoid this kind of situation in the future but I also think it's a bit of a jump to suggest you instigated this assault. Chalk it down to bad luck & hope this person gets their comeuppance.

On a final note the cycling forum seems like the wrong place for this thread as it's entirely inconsequential that the offender just happened to be on a bike.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    There's a lot of victim blaming going on in this thread.

I think everyone knows who is more wrong. I don't know what OP expected when antagonising someone who was quite visibly already irate. Nobody is justifying what the guy on the bike did, he's clearly a dope but it was a situation easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Look, maybe I've seen to many horror movies, but when I see some loolah in the middle of the road lashing out in an irrational and frothing at the mouth manner I tend to keep a healthy distance between them and me. I think the OP may be slightly more circumspect in future too.

I'm not saying that guy was some kind of yellow-eyed rage zombie from the likes of 28 Days Later, but did he attempt to bite you at all OP? Any blood vomit spray? Maybe just poor verbal expression and diction ("Rarrrgh!")?

Or perhaps with all this super moon stuff going on was he unnaturally hairy, wary around silver, or trying to relieve himself on a lamppost ("Arrroooooo!")?

I was also reminded of the very real life Clanwilliam Terrace Strangler who attacked a fellow out of the blue recently. This was the story a couple of months ago where a crazed middle aged businessman from Whitehall lunged at a guy on a bike and started strangling him with his helmet straps. Not the most likely looking street maniac, but they do come in all shapes and sizes.

There are a lot of nutters out there, try and spot them before they spot you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Well its not that simple...lets assess further...He didn't exactly just beep at someone it the way. He did however beep and approach a person who was already having a melt-down in the middle of the road. As he approached he engaged verbally with the cyclist. All of this would have added to instigating the assault.

If you were to beep at a person in a "regular" situation I'm sure this wouldn't happen.

Still doesn't mean the cyclist should hit him in the head.

No matter what the driver did, he didnt deserve a smack to the head and noone can defend the cyclists here

Still doesn't mean the cyclist should hit him in the head.

No matter what the driver did, he didnt deserve a smack to the head and noone can defend the cyclists here

I am under no circumstances insinuating that the driver deserved to be punched in the face nor am i defending the cyclist. I am however saying that the driver provokingly interacted in a pre-heated situation and was subject to an assault. He played with fire and got burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I am under no circumstances insinuating that the driver deserved to be punched in the face nor am i defending the cyclist. I am however saying that the driver provokingly interacted in a pre-heated situation and was subject to an assault. He played with fire and got burned.

The guy was standing in the middle of the box blocking the road
    "The crack pot then stood in the box as the taxi drove off, blocking me and the queue behind me still screaming and shouting. I beeped at him and singled to get a move on which he took exception to. I rolled down my window and say cop on ye idiot, move yer f'ing bike he's gone and you're holding up the road. The buses and all where beeping, a little bit like a nutter having a meltdown."

Now If I stand directly in front of you on your bike, and I am refusing to move and keep shouting, what you do ? Providing you can't get around me?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

I thought personal insults where not allowed on Boards... I won't even try to rationalize with that statement. Best of luck working from home

Nothing personal Joshua5. Best to forget and pause next time, hard as it might be in the spur of the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You'll meet plenty of nutters on the road cycling.
    Who'd cycle on Irish roads anyhow.

Aul drunks who are off the road usually cycle now that they are banned from driving a car.

I know a guy who's a transvestite and he shaves the legs,tells everyone he's doing it for speed when he's cycling....nice guy Open's up to his friends.
    Good idea comes hand in hand,ah I shave my legs because I started cycling....

Hmmmm I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

2gtpxkl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Spot checked past posts there of some of the people blaming the motorist for starting it, or saying it's his fault. All regular posters of the cycling forum, ie cyclists. Surprise surprise.

So there's only one opinion to side with? That's the OP's? What the point in the thread or asking a question if you can't provide your opinion on the matter? You will also find that NOBODY has sided with the cyclist in the OP.
    OP you are on a hiding to nothing here.

Mention a cyclist's bad behaviour and the kneejerk "but motorists are as bad" is instantly unleashed.

I think you are reading what you want, or a different thread.
    In fairness it was a pathetic dig in the jaw and an attempt of a sucker punch. As soon as I got out he was off cycling like a a world champion. If someone hits or attempts to hit you I think you should defend yourself.

If the cyclist stood his ground when you got out, you could argue self defense, but he turned on his heel and at that point you are after revenge, which wouldn't go down well with the Gardai either, however understandable your actions may be.

"Excuse me, could you get off the road please, I am in a rush to get to the hospital" may have worked better than insulting the cyclist. Cyclist is a complete tosser but you added fuel to the fire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: and then there were two. Too all posters please report posts rather than commenting on thread. Sending me abusive PMs is not tremendously helpful when you don't even point out the post your annoyed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

If you were attacked by a typical Dublin skanger, why did you put 'CYCLIST' in the title? Why not use his skin colour or race instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I'm curious as to what you would have done if you had caught the cyclist...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

So you got out of your car left in the traffic with your pregnant wife and child still inside? You deserve to be arrested along with the thug you were chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

First of all congratulations to the OP and his wife for getting a boy!

.... and in regards to the topic: I am living 10 years in this country and I witnessed a lot of complete and utter madness on this roads which in my opinion are due to a general disregard for the rules of the road by a fair share of the general public, no matter the form of transport.

My concern is the general aggression towards groups, not individuals but stereotyping groups by their choice of transport. This is even fueled by media (which is beyond me). If you behave like a tool, you probably are a tool and it does not matter if you are in a saddle or in a car seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not going to say something similar happened to me because I was not assaulted.

But I was stuck in traffic not moving, and a cyclist hits my side mirror and breaks the whole thing off, he must of gave it some whack at some speed because I wasnt even paying attention to him until I heard a bang.

I jumped out of the car to make sure he was alright but he sped off waving the middle finger at me as if I done something wrong.
    That little bollochs cost me 250 quid :L and I was worried if he was injured, it'll teach me next time haha.

Don't get involved with a lunatic OP, plus hes a coward, he knew you wouldn't catch him so he threw a cheap shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, its not like he could have took the bike and rode off on it. Oh, wait, that's dogs isn't it???

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I've been thinking the very same thing for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Great logic, man holds up family on their way about their business and gets beeped at. Irrational man follows family and bangs window and sucker punches driver. Great logic, well done

You obviously didn't read the full op, he did more than beep at him and why the fcuk would you open your window to a lunatic on the road?

I didn't realise that you were the op, which makes you even more deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

they went like jelly after a few hundred meters, best bit of advice all day
    You were probably lucky that you didn't catch up with him, if he can punch you off guard God only knows what he'd have done to you if you caught up to him, you're a very silly man with too much time on your hands.

Become the new champion of the commute

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Threads like this píss me off. They highlight the massive divide between cyclists and motorists and lead me to believe that the gap is widening. Comments and attitudes on this thread (and others) just make a lot of people with one sided views more entrenched.

I'm obviously wasting my time (as both a cyclist and a motorist) trying to afford each and every road user equal respect because so many are intent on not giving a toss.

If you're all such good drivers and cyclists then just get the fcuk on with it and behave on the roads like a responsible, adult road user.

I'm sick of threads that deteriorate like this, tbh.

And I'll also add, that no matter what the transgression there is NEVER any reason to punch ANYBODY. EVER.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play with the traffic.

OP - I'm sorry for the ordeal that you experienced today and I hope all goes to plan with the new arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think anyone (well anyone reasonable anyway) justified the punching in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement