Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove motorcycling from your thinking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

dont think they're wrong to say as such to yer man in his situation. Sure he says himself:

"Seems like a waste of money to have a car when I can't use it daily but I really like having it and we need two cars realistically."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a reading comprehension test. :pac:
    it's surprising how often I end up bringing two with me somewhere when the other car is in use

The correct answer is obviously "sidecar".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Their writers' criteria is ridiculous at the bottom of the article. The major criteria for choosing cars is 1) what cars do your really want 2) budget 3) how long you wish to keep the car and 4) will a motorcycle do instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Guy doesnt need a new car or bike....he needs a vasectomy...........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It would appear that a motorbike is the ideal solution. However the question is so poorly written that it's hard to be sure what he wants/needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

30k budget? And a city center commute? Crazy not getting bike. Dublin has a really low number of motorcycles compared with some other European cities. He shouldn't be writing a column for a national newspaper if he's so clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

"I'd buy new, not secondhand, in January/February if a new family is on the way next year. You will have a fresh and a safer car - the latter being of even greater importance with family on board"

What a load of nonsense, spend 500 euro on advanced driving lessons save yourself the 5 grand depreciation on a new sh!t bucket and you'll be way safer. These are the so called motoring experts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

CaptainR wrote: »
    "I'd buy new, not secondhand, in January/February if a new family is on the way next year. You will have a fresh and a safer car - the latter being of even greater importance with family on board"

What a load of nonsense, spend 500 euro on advanced driving lessons save yourself the 5 grand depreciation on a new sh!t bucket and you'll be way safer. These are the so called motoring experts?

I think this ''safer car'' nonsense needs to be shot in the head. They are crash tested up to a maximum speed of 60kph.. The chances of anyone making it through a head on 80-100+kph crash with their life, or without really serious injury are slim. Plenty think that buying a new car with a high NCAP rating will make them invincible on the road. Total nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not much point bitching about it here lads, preaching to the converted etc.
    Write in to the Indo rag and complain in a fair and reasonable manner about the blinkered and apparently unjustified advice being given out by the two in question.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Irish public in general hate or are completely oblivious to motorbikes.

• Advertisement

The first part of my commute involves filtering up the N11 car park. I can understand why people would want to avoid that; it's bordering on the wrong sort of exciting (although for me it's preferably to the alternatives).

I was wondering today whether there might be a case for a motorcycle lane on the outside of these dual carriageways, for which space can be made by narrowing and strengthening the central reservation. There's easily enough room to create a 1.5m lane there.

Seeing motorcycles buzz past safely on the right whilst they sit stationary in their cocoons might change a few minds.

The next phase would be converting one lane of the inner N11 to motorcycles only, followed by the remaining lane. :pac:

edit: oh, it's a thing in Manila

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2016/11/14/1643518/motorcycle-lane-policy-4-major-roads-starts-today

They're quite keen on safety there, they strongly recommend the wearing of shoes whilst motorcycling.

"The MMDA said motorcycle riders should wear proper attire, including a helmet, long pants and shoes."

Motorcycle-Lane.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Guy doesnt need a new car or bike....he needs a vasectomy...........:D

They might not be his :eek:

Anyway, I think they got it right. I don't think the writer suggested putting the bike out of his head for safety reasons. I think it was said, because the guy said that 2 cars were needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

He should spend money on the proper gear, training and awareness and then pick up something like a Deauville for 3-4k. I commute and save myself around 4-5 hours per week compared to car drivers doing a likewise journey. No need to be spending huge money on a bike that is going to be destroyed on our terrible roads.

Oodoov wrote: »
    He should spend money on the proper gear, training and awareness and then pick up something like a Deauville for 3-4k. I commute and save myself around 4-5 hours per week compared to car drivers doing a likewise journey
    How's the handling with two kids on the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I don't get his question. His wife has a car, he has a car, and he wants a motorbike for his commute? if he has 30k to spend just take 5k of that and get started on a bike and spend the rest on whatever else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »

There is a family car... Probably has no need for 2 cars tbh.

listermint wrote: »
    There is a family car... Probably has no need for 2 cars tbh.
    That's not what he says himself.

I have found myself that it's "difficult" or at least inconvenient to get along with only one family car. When one was off the road for a few months we had to rely on other people quite a lot for things like getting one of the kids to sports matches (which are often in very different places at the same time).

Then there's the case where one of us gets stuck at work unexpectedly.

Depends a lot on where you live and where you need to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Lumen wrote: »

For sure not ideal in every situation but an absolute no brainer if it's a straight forward run in and out of work in a cage. Even in weather like today it meant me leaving for work at 8:20 to be in work for 8:50 on the bike would have had to leave at 7:30 in a car and lucky to be in at 9. Thinking about it now i'd save close to 6hrs every week on transport alone that's 288hrs or circa 7 working weeks every single year.

Have to say though the proper gear makes all the difference and i invested almost 1300 euro on goretex boots, jacket and pants a couple of years back and it's been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oodoov wrote: »
    For sure not ideal in every situation but an absolute no brainer if it's a straight forward run in and out of work in a cage. Even in weather like today it meant me leaving for work at 8:20 to be in work for 8:50 on the bike would have had to leave at 7:30 in a car and lucky to be in at 9. Thinking about it now i'd save close to 6hrs every week on transport alone that's 288hrs or circa 7 working weeks every single year.

Have to say though the proper gear makes all the difference and i invested almost 1300 euro on goretex boots, jacket and pants a couple of years back and it's been brilliant.

And more time at home, with said family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

franer1970 wrote: »
    Guy says he has to commute by train to work in Dublin as there’s no car parking space, wonders if he should get a motorbike.
    So-called motoring writers at the Indo reject that idea out of hand, recommend renting a space.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/car-or-motorbike-second-farm-car-change-or-wait-which-suv-for-me-35217835.html

Is motorcycling now considered such a ridiculous proposition that it must be “removed from our thinking” as they put it? :mad:

A bloody ignorant comment by the journalist imho -and I've just dropped him a note to enlighten him.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement