Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I pay tax arrears if my car wasn't insured?

Options
  • 16-11-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,

My car hasn't been insured or on the road for six months. My tax expired at the time and I never declared it off the road as I never renewed my insurance either.

I'm thinking of getting insured on the same car again, and just wondering does anyone know if I will have to pay arrears for the last six months when taxing the car again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you still own the car yes you will owe the arrears. If you were to sell the car to a friend and then buy it back from them a week later the arrears would be cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChinChanGamble

Thanks very much Atlantic Dawn. I had a feeling this would be the case. It says on the Citizens Advice that tax is for the use of the car on the road, I can't see how not being insured doesn't suffice that the car wasn't on the road, I'm not paying the tax for the purpose that it is for. The new rules for declaring the car off the road really applies to cars that are insured and can legally be on the road.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

What a ridiculous situation the government has for itself in for recouping car tax :D

After contacting my local tax office I have been informed that it doesn't matter if your car is insured or not you have to pay the arrears because it wasn't declared off the road. But, I have to have my car insured to legally have it on the road and pay the arrears!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If you are not going to use the car, you declare it off the road. Insurance is a separate issue. Tax is now owed so you have 2 options. First is to pay the arrears which is more expensive per month than if you had taxed it.

Second option is to "sell it". You don't actually have to sell it here tho. Just get the name changed on the log book. It takes a few weeks if you are changing it to one name and then back to your name again but it clears you of owing any arrears. So change it to a brothers name or any name really. Get the new log book and then change the name again if needed,as as insurance companies will insist on it being in your name or that of a spouse. You need to have an insurable interest in the car so it can't be registered to a Spongebob Squarepants and you insured as a main driver etc.

Takes time for sending back and receiving but clears arrears. If you have a wife then you will only need to change it to her name and it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If you are not going to use the car, you declare it off the road. Insurance is a separate issue. Tax is now owed so you have 2 options. First is to pay the arrears which is more expensive per month than if you had taxed it.

Second option is to "sell it". You don't actually have to sell it here tho. Just get the name changed on the log book. It takes a few weeks if you are changing it to one name and then back to your name again but it clears you of owing any arrears. So change it to a brothers name or any name really. Get the new log book and then change the name again if needed,as as insurance companies will insist on it being in your name or that of a spouse. You need to have an insurable interest in the car so it can't be registered to a Spongebob Squarepants and you insured as a main driver etc.

Takes time for sending back and receiving but clears arrears. If you have a wife then you will only need to change it to her name and it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

After contacting my local tax office I have been informed that it doesn't matter if your car is insured or not you have to pay the arrears because it wasn't declared off the road. But, I have to have my car insured to legally have it on the road and pay the arrears!

"""Sell""" car to a friend or family member
    Wait until the new logbook comes in their name
    Buy car back off them and resubmit logbook for you as new owner
    Insure car
    Get tax from that date
    Job done, no arrears.

Thanks for all the advice guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks very much Atlantic Dawn. I had a feeling this would be the case. It says on the Citizens Advice that tax is for the use of the car on the road, I can't see how not being insured doesn't suffice that the car wasn't on the road, I'm not paying the tax for the purpose that it is for. The new rules for declaring the car off the road really applies to cars that are insured and can legally be on the road.

Thanks again.

How does not having insurance with a private, commercial operator have anything to do with tax collected by the State ?

You just have to look at the Garda Traffic Twitter feed to see the amount of cars without insurance on the roads every day.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement