Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing hard to reach ivy

Options
  • 16-11-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

We've recently moved into a new house which has a large growth of old ivy in a corner behind a shed. I don't know how it's doing it, but it's managed to grow into a large clump to a height of about 15 feet. Leaving it isn't an option, it's a problem for our neighbours as well as our shed.

I can see one large stump (I didn't realise ivy could grow a stump this big!) and a whole bunch of smaller shoots behind the shed - unfortunately they are pretty hard to reach. I can just about reach the large stump with a hand saw.

What's my best way to try and remove this? I was thinking cutting the large stump and painting on some SBK brushwood killer - would that be enough to kill off the other shoots? Is it worth my while trying to cut down the ivy that is reaching for the sky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

hmmm wrote: »
    We've recently moved into a new house which has a large growth of old ivy in a corner behind a shed. I don't know how it's doing it, but it's managed to grow into a large clump to a height of about 15 feet. Leaving it isn't an option, it's a problem for our neighbours as well as our shed.

I can see one large stump (I didn't realise ivy could grow a stump this big!) and a whole bunch of smaller shoots behind the shed - unfortunately they are pretty hard to reach. I can just about reach the large stump with a hand saw.

What's my best way to try and remove this? I was thinking cutting the large stump and painting on some SBK brushwood killer - would that be enough to kill off the other shoots? Is it worth my while trying to cut down the ivy that is reaching for the sky?

Once you cut the supply of water from the roots if it does not have another water source it will die back. best waiting till the dryer weather if there is such a thing. An inch and even less of the stuff will root though its very resourceful.

Advertisement