Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP scheme - rent paid in arrears

Options
  • 16-11-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I have tenants (2 years) in receipt of rent assistance. As per the tenancy agreement signed at the outset the rent has always been paid monthly in advance. Last month the tenant informed me she was being changed over to the HAP scheme and asked me to complete forms and provide information for submission to local county council which I did. On reading the booklet I noted the rent was to be paid on the last Wed of each month and having my suspicions that this was likely to be in arrears tried contacting the council to confirm. Despite numerous attempts I didn't get to talk to anyone in the housing unit at the time and so let the matter go.

Since then, a representative from the housing unit has interviewed the tenant and informed them that I effectively wouldn't be paid any rent during November and next rent would be paid in December. The tenant did try to argue the case that the rent was always paid in advance but they said this is how HAP works. I managed to talk to someone in the housing unit today and they just repeated same.

Can I just ask what have other landlords done? Have you just accepted moving from receipt of rent in advance to in arrears or has the tenant (or indeed the local authority) paid the months rent in between the changeover?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevincb

It's the tenant that signed the lease. Therefore the tenant is responsible for payment. If HAP pay on tenant's behalf on the last Wed of each month it means either the rent is in monthly arrears each month or the landlord is not holding a deposit. Dilemma.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

HAP is paid to the landlord by the LA on the last Wednesday of the month. That's how I get it from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread is 7 months old, think the OP is sorted

Advertisement