Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age discrimination when letting a room.

Options
  • 16-11-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I just put up an ad on daft. I specified the age range I'd like to share the letting with. It went live no problems, but I checked back on it and the age range has been removed (I'm guessing by Daft admins as I definitely didn't do it.)

I know it's illegal to discriminate by employment status but is it also illegal to discriminate by age? This is news to me. I just don't want to share with teenagers or young party animals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You can't put that in your advert due to equality laws, but you should be able to weed out the party animals/teenagers in their responses to you. I always state my age in a reply to letting adverts. And if I was a young wan again, I wouldn't want to be sharing with old fogies anyhow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why would you need to advertise the age when you can simply reject applicants any spurious grounds?

Also I think its a bit silly to use age as a barrier. Apart from the legalities, age is no indication of suitability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

AFAIK you are entitled to discriminate against whoever you want when you are letting a room in your own house. I say it is the same with subletting.

At the end of the day you can google and look up people on facebook, linkedin, twitter etc. If they are too old/young for you, dont reply to their ad

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you are in the middle of nowhere or looking for insane money, you are likely to get sufficient demand to let you pick whoever you want without having to skirt around either legalities or Daft rules by specifying up front. Giving a reason for not picking someone is not required and opens you up to problems.

Advertisement