Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery safety

• 16-11-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Hi, I ve read a lot about battery safety for sub ohming. One of my sony batteries has the lining slightly cracked at the very rim at the top. Is this a safety risk?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

dball wrote: »
    Id be more inclined to dump a battery after its starting to show wear and tear. Its a good indication (for me) to dump it if its looking tatty .

from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98910925&postcount=1

and this:

http://www.ezsmoke.ie/mod-batteries-chargers/956-18650-battery-wraps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

thanks, the thing is its only a couple of weeks old and I've been alternating 2 batteries.

looks perfect except for the small crack at the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Menoetius wrote: »
    thanks, the thing is its only a couple of weeks old and I've been alternating 2 batteries.

looks perfect except for the small crack at the top

If you're happy using it then go ahead. But to be fair, for the sake of €10-€15, just replace it. The last thing you want is something like an 18650 blowing up in your face.

Thanks, I m not happy using it at all if there is a risk, was just clarifying the age /condition for some guidance.

They are the good Sony vt4 batteries too, so I m quite unimpressed if I need to dump one of them after a couple of weeks.

Thanks, I m not happy using it at all if there is a risk, was just clarifying the age /condition for some guidance.

They are the good Sony vt4 batteries too, so I m quite unimpressed if I need to dump one of them after a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

if its only a few weeks old I would re-wrap it. provided you know its a legit battery

bought from thebestshop so I'm guessing its legit, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Hi, I ve read a lot about battery safety for sub ohming. One of my sony batteries has the lining slightly cracked at the very rim at the top. Is this a safety risk?[/font]

Get a few of these to re wrap it.

http://picknmixdiy.com/battery-wraps-picknmixdiy-vaping-wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Get a few of these to re wrap it.

http://picknmixdiy.com/battery-wraps-picknmixdiy-vaping-wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Menoetius wrote:
    Hi, I ve read a lot about battery safety for sub ohming. One of my sony batteries has the lining slightly cracked at the very rim at the top. Is this a safety risk?

Battery wraps get damaged from constantly being removed and replaced in mods, if it's just the wrap that's damaged then I'd re wrap it and it's good to go BUT if the insulator around the positive end is damaged then dump it.

• Advertisement

thanks all!!

any links or tips as to how to rewrap a battery? there is absolutely zero damage to the battery, literally a small crack in the wrapping right on the rim of the battery.
    is it an easy DIY job to rewrap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

To be honest you can cut a small piece of insulation tape and "patch it" as a temporary repair, as long as the paper piece on the positive pole is ok. It may be tricky to wrap at that point and will probably need replacing regularly as it will be prone to falling off as its on the edge of the battery. Don't put on too much as it will thicken the battery and make it difficult to insert in the mod. Insulation tape is safe to use in this instance and I have used it myself on various occasions.
    The correct way to go is to get some battery wrap, its very easy to do.
    There are loads of videos on you tube showing how to do this.
    This is a link to a short how-to.
    http://guidetovaping.com/2015/12/31/how-to-re-wrap-18650-batteries/

Advertisement