Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limit Windgates - Public Consultation

Options
  • 16-11-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Good Afternoon,

Wicklow county council have opened a public consultation period on speed limits in the county.
    Under the 2017 Special Speed limit bye-laws the council are not proposing to make any changes to the existing speed limit at the crest of the hill.

As part of the public consultation, residents who live in the vicinity of the crest of the hill at Wingates are making a submission for the inclusion of a local 50km/h zone at the hill crest.

This is to make the road safer for the local community and road users alike as there have been a number of accidents over the years in this area and access to and from the R761 remains very dangerous.

A copy of the residents submission is available to view at
    [URL="Http://tinyurl.com/j28npth"]Http://tinyurl.com/j28npth[/URL]

If you would like to lend your support we would be grateful if you would please email a message of endorsement for a local 50km/h zone at Windgates before 12.00pm Nov 25th to:

speedlimits@wicklowcoco.ie

Many thanks,

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats the current limit?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Whats the current limit?

60Km/h from just north of Windgates, over the top of the hill and as far as the Grove in Greystones where it becomes 50. On the other side from Windgates into Bray it's 80Km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

Loyatemu is correct but I'd add the following:
    it is 80km/h at the rathdown road kilruddery cottages junction on the Bray Side of Windgates.

The speed limit drops to 60 immediately at the houses on the crest so cars currently don't have tine or choose not to brake before the 60 zone. As a result cars are not driving at 60 over the crest.

We are requesting the speed limit to drop to 50 through the crest and to move the speed limit zone a few hundred meters north towards bray so cars have time to slow down before the junction and the houses on the main road.

The other point with noting is the council are proposing an increase from the grove towards Windgates from 60 up to 80. Information is available on councils website.

We believe this will make the existing situation worse at Windgates unless the speed limit at Windgates is addressed, so are requesting the 50 zone start a few hundred meters before cliff road.

R
    loyatemu wrote: »
    60Km/h from just north of Windgates, over the top of the hill and as far as the Grove in Greystones where it becomes 50. On the other side from Windgates into Bray it's 80Km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Email sent.

There have been deaths from speeding in this stretch of road in the past.
    There is limited visibility, hidden junctions, hill crests and narrow roads between the golf club and the Redford wide road and the lighting is minimal in this area.

Unfortunately, there are some road users who need a dangerous stretch signposted and marked as so before they will slow down & drive with caution.

Unless this limit is changed and clearly signposted there will be further accidents in the future.

one thing that's really needed on that road is a climbing lane for cyclists - it's a popular cycling route (particularly at the weekend), but you have very slow cyclists going up the hill and lines of cars stuck behind them. Invariably cars try to overtake even when there's traffic coming against them and then squeeze the cyclists in towards the ditch. Increasing the limit to 80 will only make this worse.

• Advertisement

We have referred to cyclists in the submission and have sought the support of local cycle and triathlon clubs for the reduced speed limit.

I agree with you entirely, however we have deliberately limited the recommendations of the submission to the remit of the public consultation which is the speed limit itself. But by all means feel free to include this in your email to the council.

I think it's a great idea, particularly where there appears to be space for such a cycle lane on both approaches to the crest.

R
    one thing that's really needed on that road is a climbing lane for cyclists - it's a popular cycling route (particularly at the weekend), but you have very slow cyclists going up the hill and lines of cars stuck behind them. Invariably cars try to overtake even when there's traffic coming against them and then squeeze the cyclists in towards the ditch. Increasing the limit to 80 will only make this worse.

it's listed as a route in the Dublin Cycling Network document, but lord knows when that's be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would favour extending the 60Km. zone northwards beyond the junction with Rathdown Rd.

If a short 50 Km. zone was sandwiched between the 60Km and 80Km zones I believe it would be ignored.

Hi Cerco,

We are requesting a 50km/h zone on the grounds that there is a local community in the area and the existing junctions are not safe at the current speeds. Maintaining a 60km/h zone still means there is insufficient sighting distance at cliff road (according to NRA guidelines), and higher speeds for the residents on the main road to deal with getting in and out of their driveways.

I agree extending the 60km/h zone north would help, but we believe a 50km/h zone would be safer and the use of townland type speed limit signage to remind motorists they are passing through a community would help further.

Cerco wrote: »
    I would favour extending the 60Km. zone northwards beyond the junction with Rathdown Rd.

If a short 50 Km. zone was sandwiched between the 60Km and 80Km zones I believe it would be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Not to disrail this thread (I think 50 on the crest is needed and the current 60 down to the Grove is a joke), but whats the point of putting in a cycle lane when we all know that the boyos from the cycling groups never use them, and usually insist on taking over the whole road, forcing drivers over the solid white line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've yet to see any lone, or group of cyclists, force a vehicle over "the solid white line". The driver makes the choice. If it's not safe to pass it's not safe to pass.

I would imagine what loyatemu is referring to is a widening of the road scheme with a painted / marked cycling lane to the left hand side, as opposed to a dedicated off-road poorly built poorly maintained "cycle lane".

Thanks for your comment.

We would be grateful if you would send an Email to speedlimits@wicklowcoco.ie stating the message regarding speed limits in your post to ensure your voice is heard.
    R

foe
    homer911 wrote: »
    Not to disrail this thread (I think 50 on the crest is needed and the current 60 down to the Grove is a joke), but whats the point of putting in a cycle lane when we all know that the boyos from the cycling groups never use them, and usually insist on taking over the whole road, forcing drivers over the solid white line

Advertisement