Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD opening packages

• 16-11-2016 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Why do DPD open parcels?,Ive had another parcel delivered to me today, it was a Laptop computer that my brother won at a his work company night out. He sent it to me to give as a gift for one of my kids as he had no need for the laptop.
    The thing is he packed it inside in a larger box, the inner box was still sealed and unopened. What I got from DPD was just the inner box. They had removed the inner laptop box, on top of which they opened the inner box too, removed the device. I could tell this because the Styrofoam packaging was forced back in.
    This isnt the first time this has happened to me, but I find it unacceptable and cant see the point in doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

Not a problem that I have ever had and I have daily DPD deliveries.

Maybe one particular driver likes to remove superfluous packaging that would take up valuable van space and (clutching at straws here) checks a boxes contents for breakables etc so as to stack more robust items first?

Edited To Add that yes, I would also find this practice unnacceptable

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

The Cuban wrote: »
    This isnt the first time this has happened to me, but I find it unacceptable and cant see the point in doing it.

Have you asked DPD why and told them as such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

idk, I was thing maybe it was customs but unlikely when it was just from the UK. Plus dont they usually retape the box up with their own seal.
    No this was done by DPC, they even put there own tracking label across the lid of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

idk, I was thing maybe it was customs but unlikely when it was just from the UK. Plus dont they usually retape the box up with their own seal.
    No this was done by DPC, they even put there own tracking label across the lid of the box

Reati wrote: »
    Have you asked DPD why and told them as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Why do DPD open parcels?,Ive had another parcel delivered to me today, it was a Laptop computer that my brother won at a his work company night out. He sent it to me to give as a gift for one of my kids as he had no need for the laptop.
    The thing is he packed it inside in a larger box, the inner box was still sealed and unopened. What I got from DPD was just the inner box. They had removed the inner laptop box, on top of which they opened the inner box too, removed the device. I could tell this because the Styrofoam packaging was forced back in.

The most likely reasons are either Customs have opened it as they are constantly in the sorting office or depots, or that the outer package may have been damaged in some way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I have had a few very annoying customs interventions in really innocuous packages.

For example, a friend of mine in France borrowed a load of REALLY expensive academic books from me and they were posted back by Chronopost (French La Poste's courier division). The books were all sliced down the spine with a blade.

Each book was worth over €150 one in particular was about €300.

I was absolutely furious with them but they just claimed it was beyond their control and a customs thing in case there was drugs in the spines ...

Absolutely wrecked the leather bindings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

An Post staff are often requested by customs to open packages (An Post have custody of the parcel, customs cannot open it) An Post reseal the package with sellotape marked opened/revealed by An Post. I think it might say for 'customs examination' If it bursts open they use different sealing tape. If the Customs seize the contents I think they send the letter. (Cigarettes, drugs etc), unacceptable that DPD would open and check parcels on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

If DPD open/reseal a parcel they usually have their own branded tape with a 'resealed by DPD' code on it.
    As far as I know, if that tape is on it, there should be a note on their system to show it was resealed and the reason.
    That's what a driver told me before.

Not sure if it's only for certain situations though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,284 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If customs opened it they would have put a sticker or seal on it saying they opened it.

I have had a few very annoying customs interventions in really innocuous packages.

For example, a friend of mine in France borrowed a load of REALLY expensive academic books from me and they were posted back by Chronopost (French La Poste's courier division). The books were all sliced down the spine with a blade.

Each book was worth over €150 one in particular was about €300.

I was absolutely furious with them but they just claimed it was beyond their control and a customs thing in case there was drugs in the spines ...

Absolutely wrecked the leather bindings.

Surely you'd be allowed to claim back from them!?

Don't they have scanners and other such equipment at their disposal to check for drugs? Surely if they just start slicing into the spines of books then that's wreckless/careless and they should be held accountable as such?

I'd be furious!

EDIT: On the topic though, never had DPD open a package, but did have one done by customs before. As said by others, it was re-sealed with their own specific tape that said it was them who opened it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Surely you'd be allowed to claim back from them!?

Don't they have scanners and other such equipment at their disposal to check for drugs? Surely if they just start slicing into the spines of books then that's wreckless/careless and they should be held accountable as such?

I'd be furious!

EDIT: On the topic though, never had DPD open a package, but did have one done by customs before. As said by others, it was re-sealed with their own specific tape that said it was them who opened it.

We tried to. Because it was opened by French security, nothing we could do.

Advertisement