Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bikes on commuter trains

Options
  • 16-11-2016 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was stopped getting onto a commuter train this evening at 3.30 pm with my bike (not a fold up).i was told it's a new rule because of train congestion. I eventually did get on the train after much pleading., with the station manager. The by laws have not changed to reflect this.they state no bicycles between 4 and 7. Also it should be noted nobody was standing on the train . I think this is excessive to say the least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As per Irish Rail Website:
    Bicycles on DART Trains

Iarnrod Éireann welcome bicycles free of charge on off peak DART services. Bicycles that are folded and covered can be carried on all Commuter and Dart services with no time restrictions. Bicycles are not permitted on DART services before 09:30hrs and between the hours of 16:00hrs and 19:00hrs Monday to Friday. Customers can travel with bikes all day Saturday and Sunday.

Bicycles on Commuter Trains (outlined below)

Iarnrod Éireann welcome bicycles free of charge on off peak Commuter services. Bicycles that are folded and covered can be carried on all Commuter services with no time restrictions.

Bicycles are not permitted on Commuter before 09:30hrs and between the hours of 16:00hrs and 19:00hrs Monday to Friday. Customers can travel with bikes all day Saturday and Sunday.

Dublin Northern Commuter service extends from Dublin's Pearse Station via Dublin Connolly Station to Dundalk.
    Dublin Longford Commuter service extends from Dublin's Pearse Station via Dublin's Connolly Station to Longford.
    Dublin Dunboyne / M3 Parkway services extends from Dublin's Dockland/ Connolly Station via Clonsilla to Dunboyne/ M3 Parkway.
    Dublin Southern Commuter service operates from Dublin's Connolly Station to Gorey Station.
    Mallow – Cork – Cobh – Midleton Commuter services extends from Mallow to Cork, Cork to Cobh or Midleton.
    If you are travelling with your bicycle, please note the following:

Please note that Iarnród Éireann reserve the right to refuse to carry more than two bicycles if there are only two bike spaces available on an Intercity service with only two spaces so it is advisable to book in advance online.
    The carriage of bicycles on Commuter services is at the discretion of station staff.
    At certain times (e.g. major sporting fixtures /concerts), it may not be possible to permit carriage of bicycles on DART or Commuter services.

You were on the edge there, with it being 3.30, but they may have seen it as winding up within the 4-7 window.
    Ideally there would be the facilities for it on all trains, but alas there's no joined up thinking around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Irish Rail wrote:
    The carriage of bicycles on Commuter services is at the discretion of station staff.
    He was entitled to refuse you...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

moggie123 wrote: »
    I was stopped getting onto a commuter train this evening at 3.30 pm with my bike (not a fold up).i was told it's a new rule because of train congestion. I eventually did get on the train after much pleading., with the station manager. The by laws have not changed to reflect this.they state no bicycles between 4 and 7. Also it should be noted nobody was standing on the train . I think this is excessive to say the least.

I had something similar on a Saturday morning recently. Told me I couldn't take bike without an online booking. Online booking wasn't available. Train was empty (two people in whole carriage, one of whom had seat c13 which auto-reserves the bike space even though he had no bike).

Had to plead (in front of strangers and embarrassed junior staff) that had a family emergency and needed to take the bike to travel 20 miles home from nearest station.

Clowns.

Advertisement