Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual monitor setup 24 vs 27

Options
  • 16-11-2016 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi Just looking for advice on a dual monitor setup not sure if I should go for 24 or 27 inch.
    I need to be able to use my desktop pc and my macbook pro.
    I won't be doing any gaming on the monitors so it will mostly be used for work and programming where i need multiple windows open.

Also i'd appreciate if anyone could recommend specific monitors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get some cardboard, mock up the screen sizes and set them up on your desk. Dual 24's is big enough, 27's could really be pushing it on some desks in terms of space used.

My last setup was triple 24's, landscape on the middle monitor and portrait on the screens either side. Made reading code or documentation much easier with the longer vertical travel and it fit. But wreaked havok with fullscreen games for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Thanks I also had a look at ultrawide monitors which look really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Ultrawide sounds like exactly what you need, I do a lot of excel work on mine, LG 34'', can reasonably have three worksheets open side by side.
    A smaller Ultrawide and a vertical widescreen would be a very good fit also.

FYI - the new look boards site does not work very well!!! had to switch back to legacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Get some cardboard, mock up the screen sizes and set them up on your desk. Dual 24's is big enough, 27's could really be pushing it on some desks in terms of space used.

My last setup was triple 24's, landscape on the middle monitor and portrait on the screens either side. Made reading code or documentation much easier with the longer vertical travel and it fit. But wreaked havok with fullscreen games for me.

Is there a way to do this.....can it be preset???

Masala wrote: »
    Is there a way to do this.....can it be preset???

It can be preset very easily - simply right click on desktop -> screen resolution ->Orientation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Ultrawide sounds like exactly what you need, I do a lot of excel work on mine, LG 34'', can reasonably have three worksheets open side by side.
    A smaller Ultrawide and a vertical widescreen would be a very good fit also.

FYI - the new look boards site does not work very well!!! had to switch back to legacy!

thats the monitor I was looking at do you have the flat or curved version?
    Would a macbook pro retina 2014 be capable of running this monitor?

cintec wrote: »

I have the flat version, curved wasnt out yet when i bought mine but i think i would have stuck with the flat, curved would have stuck out more after wall mounting.

I would reckon as long as you aren't trying to drive the latest games or complex autocad you would be fine running it off the macbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cintec wrote: »
    I have the curved one, absolutely beautiful, and great for productivity. I prefer curved but like said curved isint good if you want to wall mount it. Curved is more wrap around for peripheral vision, works best in gaming but as that is not your intention stick with the cheaper flat version.

You should also consider a 4k screen, maybe 32", I plan on either a 4k screen or another 34" ultrawide for programming. LG also have a 37" ultrawide coming soon, higher rez again but same DPI as 34" version

Ultrawide is also great for movies if you plan on that

Should be OK with your Mac book, check its max resolution to be sure, 34" ultrawide is 3440x1440. My 34" LG also has a thunderbolt port so you might want that?

Advertisement