Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not embracing the vinyl revolution...

• 16-11-2016 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

:confused::confused:

I had started to build a little vinyl collection, and have a bunch of records (maybe between 20 and 30). All new. All taken out of their plastic. Some un played, as I’m still building a system. I have a power amp and need to put the rest together.

It has dawned on me that I’ll have to sink a bit more money into a system, and that there is so much music out there that I want to listen to, that I’ll never be happy, and I’ll spend an amount…. :(

I’ve started to think about just subscribing to something like Spotify, and catering for my existing CD collection by getting a decent system (CD player, speakers etc). Switch between digital files and CDs and just take it from there. Space won’t be an issue then either.

I could still possibly keep my poweramp and get a standalone CD player, but I’ll see.

Yes, though I’m passionate about music, I’m bucking the trend and breaking away from the vinyl love in :(

Am I mad!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I recently got back into listening to records, but instead of dropping a fortune on a new system I just resurrected the old late '80s HiFi that had been gathering dust in my Mother's attic - and bought a new stylus.

Dug out old LPs and singles and picked up some cheap as chips classics at fairs and second hand shops.

This didn't cost much at all and it sounds great. Much better sound than compressed digital IMO...especially old presses in good nick. I'm always wary of newer records.

I like the 'ritual' of playing a record too, more fun than pressing a virtual button or two. But both methods have their advantages for various reasons...I just buy records of certain acts I love, but CDs/streaming etc are fine for other acts/situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Nope, vynl thing is a fad. Got streaming sub last year and haven't looked back. Massive choice, convenience and steller sound quaility.

Ps get a chrome cast audio or apple airplay to complete the experiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Each to their own, I guess.
    For me, buying records over the last five years got me back into buying/listening to music again. As Kp said you can do it on the cheap to get you started. I got a Lidl turntable, and plugged into my old hifi. I now have a €50 turntable with a €25 stylus, €30 amp, €70 speakers (all second hand). Far from high end, but gets the job done.

I did the streaming for a couple of years, and found I got bored with it, and realised at the end of it all I don't actually own any of the music. I still use the free version of Spotify, I listen to my colletcion on Google Play when on the move or at work, and stick on records (and now cds again) at home. Is it a fad? Maybe, but it's made me fall in love with music all over again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

It's too expensive. Albums you bought on vinyl 20 years ago for a tenner are now on sale for €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I can't tell the difference between vinyl I have and mp3, CDs. I doubt 90% of people can, but the vinyl covers do look great :(

I'm going to sell what I have and get a nice little system to play CDs and hook up something to play spotify or mp3s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

seachto7 wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference between vinyl I have and mp3, CDs. I doubt 90% of people can, but the vinyl covers do look great :(

I'm going to sell what I have and get a nice little system to play CDs and hook up something to play spotify or mp3s

I think everyone needs to fins out what system works for them. I have a small player with built in amp. Sound is surprisingly good. I have about 300 records and have been collecting about 12 years, so nothing crazy. I also have a spotify account. I don't view them as competition...

For me I enjoy the fact that you can't skip songs o records and on older albums there is a concept and songs flow into each other. I will rarely listen to an album on spotify, mainly playlists.

Also feel free to PM me if you're selling any records! I'll give ya a fair price!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Nope, vynl thing is a fad. Got streaming sub last year and haven't looked back. Massive choice, convenience and steller sound quaility.

Ps get a chrome cast audio or apple airplay to complete the experiance.
    The vinyl "comeback" starting happening from around 2010, so six years is too long for it to be a fad.

What's making it look like a fad (and what will probably be its undoing) is the flooding of the market with cheap, crappy all-in-one record players. These are aimed at people who don't really listen to much music and who see vinyl as a novelty. To actually make vinyl worthwhile you need to get decent separates, otherwise there's nothing gained over other formats.

Chromecast audio is surprisingly good I must say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hmmm. Chromecast. I'm not sure what this is. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

For me, there's a huge difference in listening to music on vinyl and online / on my phone. I only restarted buying vinyl this year, and as a friend of mine pointed out, you need to be sure you want that particular album as most of them are over 20 quid a pop. That said, I have a wishlist and I'm happy to work through it over the next year or so, buying one or two records a month.

It is different. Not necessarily the sound, but the experience. When I listen to music from my phone into a bluetooth speaker for example, it's a small sound - it's in that room, right beside where I am in the room. When I put on a record, the sound seems to fill the entire ground floor of the house, making it a more immersive experience. You're less inclined to skip tracks, and you become more patient with the music.

I still have all my music on my phone via iCloud Music, hundreds and hundreds of albums. I use that when commuting (train or car). But at home it's a much richer experience listening to music on vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How else will I listen to all the Lizzy, Pogues/Rats/S-Steen/Stones and Punk stuff I bought in the 80's? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

seachto7 wrote: »

In my case whatever I'm listening to is usually straining to be heard above kids, washing machines, hoovers, people talking and so on - the general noise of a house full of young kids. MP3 (illegally downloaded I might add) suits me down to the ground.

I'm sure there is a difference in vinyl played through a proper set up, but you really need somewhere quite to play it in otherwise you're just wasting your time and your money.

Advertisement