Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave entitlements

Options
  • 16-11-2016 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Thanks in advance for any help,

Due the 31st December and calculated maternity leave finishing the 2nd December and back in for last day of school, 2nd June.

Is this correct? Someone was questioning it today suggesting there was 20 days and 9 days of public holidays I could add on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Emmser wrote: »
    Thanks in advance for any help,

Due the 31st December and calculated maternity leave finishing the 2nd December and back in for last day of school, 2nd June.

Is this correct? Someone was questioning it today suggesting there was 20 days and 9 days of public holidays I could add on?

That would include all of your holidays and bank holidays for the whole year presumably. So if you did add them on then you wouldn't have any holidays left to take. That may suit you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

pilly wrote: »
    That would include all of your holidays and bank holidays for the whole year presumably. So if you did add them on then you wouldn't have any holidays left to take. That may suit you though.

As in I wouldn't be entitled to all of my summer holidays? What about the bank holidays, should I be adding on the ones I am missing due to maternity leave?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Emmser wrote: »
    As in I wouldn't be entitled to all of my summer holidays? What about the bank holidays, should I be adding on the ones I am missing due to maternity leave?

Yes, you should add on the bank holidays. Sorry, I've just realised this is a teachers forum so I'm not quite sure how teachers holidays work.

But just say for example I was a normal worker. I could take my maternity leave plus my 20 days holidays plus any bank holidays that happen while I'm on leave, therefore returning around the end of June but I wouldn't have any more holidays to take.

Sorry I don't know more about teachers holidays and how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This was asked a few years back and you can indeed take your bank hols etc but you must take them during school closure times.
    Reality is that you get 26 weeks which is min 2 before and 4 after.

Also remember that our holidays are technically school closure periods as opposed to holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

TheDriver wrote: »
    This was asked a few years back and you can indeed take your bank hols etc but you must take them during school closure times.
    Reality is that you get 26 weeks which is min 2 before and 4 after.

Also remember that our holidays are technically school closure periods as opposed to holidays

So just 26 weeks and no more regardless of bank holidays falling during it etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Correct. Same as giving birth on 14 June and being on leave from 1 June to 1 dec.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

26 weeks means u can prob take ur maternity at start of Dec and come back last day of school in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Im a post primary teacher due in January. I'm also finishing on 2 Dec and last day of leave will be 2 June. Its 26 weeks and no extra days but it does feed right into the summer hols which is lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Absolutely no other entitlements for teachers. 26 weeks exactly. Bank holidays have been gone for three years or so now

Advertisement