Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4iiii Power Meter

Options
  • 16-11-2016 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

After indepth research, I bought the 'precision' left crank only version over a week ago. First issue was putting the cap on. One of the plastic locking mechanisms bent as I pressed on the cap before turning it closed. After carefull straightening it up, I couldn't get a connection to the device unless I pressed down on the cap. Anyway, it began working just before my first ride and I also updated the firmware. I've got 2 rides out of each battery (4hrs) since and found out it works when the cap one way.

Anyone else have experience of this power meter? I'm hoping its just a faulty one I have, most reviews were good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Carguys

Dc Rainmaker gave a pretty positive review about 4iii you should take pics and seno to them and retailers, I'm sure that since they're trying to build a good reputation you will get some help, Im looking at them myself but on the fence, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

Carguys wrote: »
    Dc Rainmaker gave a pretty positive review about 4iii you should take pics and seno to them and retailers, I'm sure that since they're trying to build a good reputation you will get some help, Im looking at them myself but on the fence, let us know how you get on.

Yes, saw that. Been onto EvansCycles and they've asked me to send it back to them. Watch this space...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Coincidently the same thing happened to mine the past few weeks after changing the battery. The cap doesn't seem to close flush now. When everything's closed there is no connection, however, if I push down in the middle of the cap it then picks up a connection.
    I emailed 4iiii and they sent me out 2 replacement caps which arrived yesterday.
    I changed them over last night and still the same. However, just to try I put a small piece of bluetack between the cap and the battery (i.e. so the bluetack pushes the battery in a bit more to make the connection) and that seems to work. Not ideal, but thought I'd try that just to isolate what the problem is.
    Will email them back this week to see if the meter needs to be repaired or anything as it now doesn't seem to be the cap that's the problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

is the battery connection the same as stages? A small 'foil' connection? If so I was advised to bed it towards the battery to help the connection.

godtabh wrote: »
    is the battery connection the same as stages? A small 'foil' connection? If so I was advised to bed it towards the battery to help the connection.

I was advised something similar. Not sure what the Stages one is like, but this has 2 small 'prongs' at the base. I pulled them up slightly, but was fearful of bending them up too much as they looked fairly fragile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Welshkev wrote: »
    I was advised something similar. Not sure what the Stages one is like, but this has 2 small 'prongs' at the base. I pulled them up slightly, but was fearful of bending them up too much as they looked fairly fragile.

Sounds fairly similar.

My understanding of the stages cover in G1 is that it flexed to much opening/closing meaning it was no longer 'flat' and the gap between the batter and the cover meant there wasnt enough pressure to make the contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

Welshkev wrote: »
    Coincidently the same thing happened to mine the past few weeks after changing the battery. The cap doesn't seem to close flush now. When everything's closed there is no connection, however, if I push down in the middle of the cap it then picks up a connection.
    I emailed 4iiii and they sent me out 2 replacement caps which arrived yesterday.
    I changed them over last night and still the same. However, just to try I put a small piece of bluetack between the cap and the battery (i.e. so the bluetack pushes the battery in a bit more to make the connection) and that seems to work. Not ideal, but thought I'd try that just to isolate what the problem is.
    Will email them back this week to see if the meter needs to be repaired or anything as it now doesn't seem to be the cap that's the problem.

Thats what I was experiencing alright. But yesterday I found it works/connects with battery when I have the cap with logo upright and pedal at 3 o'clock. Went out for a ride and 1hr 15mins in the battery had gone from 100% to 8% again. This, aswell as the cap issue is unacceptable. Anyway, lets see what happens when I send it back...

laraido wrote: »
    Thats what I was experiencing alright. But yesterday I found it works/connects with battery when I have the cap with logo upright and pedal at 3 o'clock. Went out for a ride and 1hr 15mins in the battery had gone from 100% to 8% again. This, aswell as the cap issue is unacceptable. Anyway, lets see what happens when I send it back...

that sounds like water ingress. Big issue with stages and batter drain

laraido wrote: »
    Agreed - but for what it's worth, I've had mine close to a year now and this is the first such problem I've had with it, although that's not such a long time in the grand scheme of things. I've had to go back to 4iiii a few times (issue with a HR monitor I had from them) and their customer service is excellent in fairness to them.

Advertisement