Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious value for the hobbyist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I was actually pondering asking Santa for this, a lot of people say the best way to learn how to maintain a bike is build one.

The pro carbon version looks like savage value as well.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUNPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike-(unbuilt)

Done seem like a fun thing to do over the Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

diarmaidol wrote: »
    I was actually pondering asking Santa for this, a lot of people say the best way to learn how to maintain a bike is build one.

The pro carbon version looks like savage value as well.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUNPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike-(unbuilt)

Done seem like a fun thing to do over the Christmas!

I just came across this while searching for something else.

I've heard good things about Planet X but this seems like awesome value for money. So much so that the sceptic in me is adopting the 'too good to be true' approach.

Can anyone give me a decent reason NOT to buy this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I think it's smashing value , just checked their price on ultegra 6800 and it's the cheapest ive found yet. I'd nearly buy it for the groupset alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

If you are unable to build a bike to the quality of build you are accustomed to ...

I was close to getting the London Road Tiagra, but decided not to.

As an example to buy separately, by the time you get the frame and Ultegra Groupset you'd have about 32 GBP left for the finishing kit and wheels.

The down side is the fact that the bike comes literally in bits and with no break or gear cable.

In the end I got a bargain basement Genesis CDA 10. Just a bit cheaper , much lower spec, but I'll be sure to be riding it over the Christmas and not cursing getting it built ;-P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Building is not an issue. In fact I'd prefer to build it myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement