Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill overcharged

Options
  • 16-11-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, the last Bill received has been extremely higher than usual. I usually pay €160, but this last bill was €796. After trying to get in touch with the company, the answer was that there has been an estimation from 08/15 til 08/16.i have checked all my bills, and they all have been also estimated during this period. My question is, why do I have to pay another estimation when all my bills were estimated?? The amount they have taken is ridiculous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi maximo1523,

Thanks for your message.

ESB Networks and Gas Networks Ireland read all electricity and gas meters, respectively, regardless of the supplier, such as Electric Ireland.

They aim to read these meters four times a year, and estimate the readings twice a year. However, depending on the accessibility of the meter (such as the meter being located inside the property, the gate being locked, a dog, etc.), the number of estimated readings may increase.

If you would like to discuss the meter reader, or meter reading process, we would recommend contacting ESB Networks (their contact details are available here) or Gas Networks Ireland (contact information online here) directly.

Bills are issued from a supplier when they receive an electricity reading from ESB Networks, or a gas reading from Gas Networks Ireland. Accurate readings indicate your actual usage, while estimated readings are generated when a reading cannot be provided.

Bills are issued from one reading to the next reading. Once a correct meter reading is provided, this will take into account any under, or overestimation, and ensure that you are billed up to your correct usage.

If the bill in the amount of €796 was based on an accurate reading then this could indicate that the estimated readings between August 2015 and August 2016 were underestimating the amount of electricity or gas being used at your property. When an accurate reading was then taken the additional usage that had not been charged previously, would then be charged up to the correct reading.

Alternatively, could you advise if the bill in the amount of €796 was based on an estimated reading? If so, could you please send us a private message with the following details?
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    • An accurate meter reading taken by yourself, and the date the reading was taken
    We may then be able to issue you with an accurate bill, up to the reading provided.

Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Advertisement