Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign calls for cyclists to hold insurance, pay road tax

Options
  • 16-11-2016 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

First Brexit, now this.....the Brits are doing a whole year of crazy.....

From the Irish Times......

A British online campaign calling on cyclists to hold insurance and pay road tax has been described as “ludicrous” by Irish cycling campaigners.
    The petition, which to date has been signed by more than 30,000 people and is entitled “Cyclists to hold insurance to use public UK roads”, says the UK’s roads are becoming unsafe “due to one particular community that feel they are eligible to cycle on public UK roads”.

The petition calls for cyclists to take a theory and practical test to obtain a cycling license, arguing that cyclists have no training in road safety. A note attached to the petition repeats the call for “cyclists to hold insurance and pay road tax” to use roads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jesus christ, even the wording of the statement reads like it was put together by an absolute moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

If cyclists want to use the roads then they should pay tax and insurance just like every other road user. It will happen here soon I'm sure of that. We cannot have a group of people paying it and others not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Must be EU laws against that. I'm sure you should be able to travel from other states into the UK without the imposition of such a tax...

,,,, Oh wait!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The troll has been dealt with - please do not respond further to his post

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Jawgap wrote: »
    First Brexit, now this.....the Brits are doing a whole year of crazy.....

From the Irish Times......

how did this make it into the Irish Times?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

When it happens I for one will be cycling in the middle of the lanes and not as far left as possible, to get the best benefit of my taxes.

how did this make it into the Irish Times?

To kick the hornets nest over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Beasty wrote: »
    Must be EU laws against that. I'm sure you should be able to travel from other states into the UK without the imposition of such a tax...

,,,, Oh wait!

Cyclist road tax check.......The border post-Brexit.....:D

second-world-war-ww2-pictures-images-photos-nazi-germany-checkpoint-strasbourg.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

It is motor tax, not road tax... what they want to tax cyclists for? Their emissions while farting on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OSI wrote:
    So pedestrians should need tax and insurance to?

Personally I think insurance wouldn't be a bad idea. Definitely not tax. Insurance wouldn't really work though. Each bike would need a license plate. Seems like a lot of hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Rokta wrote: »
    It is motor tax, not road tax... what they want to tax cyclists for? Their emissions while farting on the bike?

Oh, I know, let us introduce the Fart Tax! We'll inatall Fart-o-meters on all those farters and tax them by the pound escaping the rear vent. This is going to be glorious!

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

You're Cycling Ireland membership covers your insurance and road tax is based on emissions. So unless I'm wrong there is ZERO emissions from a bicycle.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Personally I think insurance wouldn't be a bad idea. Definitely not tax. Insurance wouldn't really work though. Each bike would need a license plate. Seems like a lot of hassle

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance covers you for a training spin.

The damages inflicted by cyclists and pedestrians are rather low compared to cars, physics and something with mass x speed etc.

Before anybody starts demanding insurance for cyclists, pedestrians and their dogs (!) they should see through that all motorists have insurance, 8% of all motorists in Ireland don't and believe me, it is not fun dealing with an accident caused by an uninsured driver.

Besides the point that the majority of cyclists do actually own a car and use one too.....

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Oh, I know, let us introduce the Fart Tax! We'll inatall Fart-o-meters on all those farters and tax them by the pound escaping the rear vent. This is going to be glorious!

/s

There should be an extra levy on cabbage and beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Insurance for what? Cars have insurance because of the high value claims are beyond the financial capabilities of most drivers.
    What would the insurance cover ? What would the excess be? It'd cost more to administer than it would to pay out

ted1 wrote: »
    Insurance for what? Cars have insurance because of the high value claims are beyond the financial capabilities of most drivers.
    What would the insurance cover ? What would the excess be? It'd cost more to administer than it would to pay out

No insurance company would offer such thing as it is complete non-sense. A public liability insurance would make sense in general however these are reserved for tradesmen and legal professions in Ireland, probably because of the high payouts.....

Go and find a bicycle insurance that covers theft alone and it is hard to find one because every man and his dog is after your bike with an angle grinder.

ted1 wrote:
    Insurance for what? Cars have insurance because of the high value claims are beyond the financial capabilities of most drivers. What would the insurance cover ? What would the excess be? It'd cost more to administer than it would to pay out

Well you could do serious damage if you ran into a five year old child but I was actually thinking of small insurance for yourself as a cyclist in case of falls etc.

Well you could do serious damage if you ran into a five year old child but I was actually thinking of small insurance for yourself as a cyclist in case of falls etc.

Cycling Ireland membership should cover that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Rokta wrote: »
    Cycling Ireland membership should cover that. :)

Would they cover commuter cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Seeing as motorists are only mandated to have third party cover, requiring cyclists to have insurance cover for themselves would be not just trying to extend the same rules, but in fact impose more stringent requirements, so the level playing field argument (flawed as it is) doesn't even extend to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This really is ridiculous, in a time when we should be encouraging more and more cycling for the health benefits alone.. There are suggestions like this..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Forget the insurance bit for a second, any cyclist that disagrees a lesson/licence in road safety and the rules of the road for the most vulnerable of road users is a stupid idea shouldn't be let use the roads. It's quite clear alot of cyclists don't have a basic understanding of road safety. Mind you the same could be said for some motorists, but that's another story.

You're Cycling Ireland membership covers your insurance
    It only covers you for "sanctioned" training/racing (under the auspices of CI)

dbagman wrote:
    Forget the insurance bit for a second, any cyclist that disagrees a lesson/licence in road safety and the rules of the road for the most vulnerable of road users is a stupid idea shouldn't be let use the roads. It's quite clear alot of cyclists don't have a basic understanding of road safety. Mind you the same could be said for some motorists, but that's another story.

I've always wondered why the rules of the road aren't taught in school. Even if you never drive or cycle pedestrians need to know too. Transition year would be a great time to do the theory test .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dbagman wrote: »
    .. It's quite clear alot of cyclists don't have a basic understanding of road safety....
    A recent report in the UK relating to accidents involving cyclists and motor vehicles found that motorists were responsible for the accident in 100% of cases.

I've always wondered why the rules of the road aren't taught in school. Even if you never drive or cycle pedestrians need to know too. Transition year would be a great time to do the theory test .

they were......

The Traffic School in Clontarf… a little piece of history

We'd a couple of trips here from school!!

Back in the 80s we were also brought to the traffic school in that vid above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What kind on insurance would I need if I fell? Out of work ? Medical ?
    Etc?
    Flesh it out , my medical insurance will cover if I fall, my work pays if I'm out injured.

You suggested compulsory insurance without actually thinking it through.

As for doing damage to a 5 year old , tell me how often if ever that has happened

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Back in the 80s we were all brought to the traffic school in that vid above.

You got a turn in the pedal cars......then you had to do a stint as a pedestrian.....then the really good pedestrians got another go in the pedal cars.....

......I never got a second go in the pedal cars.......

B@stard Guards!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote:
    We'd a couple of trips here from school!!

I was there myself around 1975 or so. The only school tour I ever had. Great laugh but not quite educational. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement