Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head lamp /light for running

Options
  • 16-11-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

My husband has asked me to get him a head light for running on dark evenings through the winter...he only started in the summer so neither of us would be up to speed with brands or which stores / websites supply them. ..did a quick search on Amazon and there are thousands to choose from! Any recommendations welcome. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

My husband has asked me to get him a head light for running on dark evenings through the winter...he only started in the summer so neither of us would be up to speed with brands or which stores / websites supply them. ..did a quick search on Amazon and there are thousands to choose from! Any recommendations welcome. Ta

It really depends on how and where he plans to use it.

Keep an eye on Amazon over the next week and a bit for 'Black Friday' deals you might get lucky. Petzl and Silva are reputable brands and it's usually finding a balance between how bright you want it (lumens/candle power), how light you would like it to be, lighter usually means less power and battery capacity versus separate battery pack, etc.

I have 2 Petzl's, the Tikka XP2 which I think is only 60 lumens, but fine for urban and park running and also the Reactik which is over 200 lumens and auto adjusts the brightness depending on the conditions. Both work off an internal battery, which is rechargeable in the Reactik and both are lightweight.

I also have a mad yoke from China that could light up a runway, but it eats batteries.

I'm sure others will chip in with other options also.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Thanks for that.
    It's just park running for now so will have a look at your suggestions. Think I would start with a lightweight one until he gets used to it...the KS again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Thanks for that.
    It's just park running for now so will have a look at your suggestions. Think I would start with a lightweight one until he gets used to it...the KS again...

I picked up my LED lenser H7R for half price on amazons Black Friday sale last year, it has rechargeable batteries. Good for nighttime trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have a €3.99 headlamp from Lidl/Aldi that works perfectly fine for running on roads and a Led Lenser for almost 20 times the price for when I'm heading into mountainous territory.

Funnily enough I actually prefer the cheap one as it's so light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I picked up my LED lenser H7R for half price on amazons Black Friday sale last year, it has rechargeable batteries. Good for nighttime trails.

I have a H7R, its a fantastic light but a bit heavy for park running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I picked up the headlamp/pocket torch combo pack from Aldi yesterday for €7.99. There's a really good beam from the head lamp. A big improvement on the one I got in Lidl a few years ago . I only run on the roads so it's perfect for my needs. The little pocket torch will be just the job as well for the walk home from the local after a few!

Advertisement