Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash payments

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

The black market is huge and represents a large part of our economic activity.

Drugs for example. How would they be paid for?

You cannot say that banning cash will have the side effect of making drug use disappear.

Drugs will have to be paid for using something else.

Perhaps bitcoins or another crypto currency but most likely we'd see a return to gold and silver.

In Asia, gold chains are made by machines and sold for little more than the gold content would cost. Transactions can be carried out using individual links from the large gold chain.
    Silver is better than gold as it's worth about 10 to 15 times less.

It's definitely more difficult and cumbersome to use metals rather than paper money. That's why paper money was invented in the first place!

But people need cash and Ireland will not go fully cashless for decades if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Muhammed_1 wrote: »
    The black market is huge and represents a large part of our economic activity.

Drugs for example. How would they be paid for?

You cannot say that banning cash will have the side effect of making drug use disappear.

Drugs will have to be paid for using something else.

Perhaps bitcoins or another crypto currency but most likely we'd see a return to gold and silver.

In Asia, gold chains are made by machines and sold for little more than the gold content would cost. Transactions can be carried out using individual links from the large gold chain.
    Silver is better than gold as it's worth about 10 to 15 times less.

It's definitely more difficult and cumbersome to use metals rather than paper money. That's why paper money was invented in the first place!

But people need cash and Ireland will not go fully cashless for decades if ever.

You sound like a car dealer complaining about Tesla selling direct.

It'll happen, illicit payments will just be marked as something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

How would drugs be bought and sold in a cashless world?

It just doesn't work.

I know that drugs would continue to be sold but how?

Could banning cash solve the drugs crisis?

It's a classic case of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Muhammed_1 wrote: »
    How would drugs be bought and sold in a cashless world?

It just doesn't work.

I know that drugs would continue to be sold but how?

Could banning cash solve the drugs crisis?

It's a classic case of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object!

Who ****ing cares if a drug addict can't get their fix??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Op it sounds like you are calling the wrong tradesmen. Anyone not giving receipts is dodgy. Cash only is another tell tale sign. My concern is a cash only no receipt guy is probably not paying tax, vat and is probably on the dole. None of this is too much of a concern to you though it is illegal. Statistically this guy has no insurance and isn't registered, reci, rgi etc. Id be concerned about the quality of the work too.
    Tell them that you don't have cash but can do a bank transfer there and then online in front of them. Most tradesmen now carry card machines. I'm paying 60 to 70 Euro per month for one of these machines.
    Cash is simpler and I prefer it but I also take cards, cheques and bank transfer.
    Some tradesmen have two receipt books. One for jobs they are putting through the books and another for cash jobs. So a receipt isn't a guarantee that he is declining the job to the taxman. Even if you pay by cheque these can be cashed down the pub
    Asking over the phone for them to bring proof of insurance will weed out most of the cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Where?

Try book a tradesman online. All offering card payment. Mobile machine. Takes payment anywhere. I think you can even take card payments with an iPhone app

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

pami_81 wrote: »
    I usually have no idea beforehand if the work is going to cost €30 or €600.

Asking for money after a job has been completed without giving a quote first is a crime called extortion in this country.

A tradesperson cannot demand payment for a job unless you have agreed for them to go ahead at whatever price beforehand.

They can give you a rough quote and you can agree to that, but if they go over the max they quoted, you can just say no thanks. They can then undo the work where possible but it often isn't.

GarIT wrote:
    Asking for money after a job has been completed without giving a quote first is a crime called extortion in this country.

This is false.
    If the homeowner doesn't ask for a quote then you don't have to give one. The responsibility is on the homeowner to seek the price first. The tradesmen then gives a quote or an estimate. A quote being a definite price an estimate being a rough idea of what what it might cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

GarIT wrote: »

A tradesperson cannot demand payment for a job unless you have agreed for them to go ahead at whatever price beforehand.

They can give you a rough quote and you can agree to that, but if they go over the max they quoted, you can just say no thanks. They can then undo the work where possible but it often isn't.

Care to quote the statute????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Try book a tradesman online. All offering card payment. Mobile machine. Takes payment anywhere. I think you can even take card payments with an iPhone app

Few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

most of my jobs are paid with cash or cheque

i dont think they would be too happy to see an extra charge on the bill to cover the machine and % commission

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most of my jobs are paid with cash or cheque

i dont think they would be too happy to see an extra charge on the bill to cover the machine and % commission

I assume you can write off the cost of the machine. Commission is 2% with Sumup. I don't even have a chequebook anymore, and will generally go for someone who can take an electronic or card payment over someone who insists on cash.

Advertisement