Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second gun.

Options
  • 16-11-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks,
    I am new to boards and relatively new to shooting.
    I was thinking of buying a second gun (existing gun is an air rifle) and I am curious to know if a second gun license is the same cost as the three year one that I have now.
    I have the air rifle seven years or so and wanted to get into hunting a few rabbits. Perhaps you could advise on a reasonable .22lr that would suit a beginner.
    Hope you can help and thanks.

walyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

walyo wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I am new to boards and relatively new to shooting.
    I was thinking of buying a second gun (existing gun is an air rifle) and I am curious to know if a second gun license is the same cost as the three year one that I have now.
    I have the air rifle seven years or so and wanted to get into hunting a few rabbits. Perhaps you could advise on a reasonable .22lr that would suit a beginner.
    Hope you can help and thanks.

walyo

The gun licence is €80 for 3 years, same as your air rifle. A bolt action CZ is a good starter gun. Most gun shops will have some sort of .22 CZ in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 walyo

Thanks BattleCorp,
    I did search for that information but could not find the answer.
    Have you an opinion on the 10/22 semi. (good or indifferent)?

walyo

Thanks BattleCorp,
    I did search for that information but could not find the answer.
    Have you an opinion on the 10/22 semi. (good or indifferent)?

walyo

I have a Ruger 10/22 myself. Great gun. I have my one pimped up for target shooting.

I'm a big fan of lads getting a bolt action as a first gun. In general, bolt actions are slightly more accurate and they are safer too. Much easier to make a mistake and leave a round in the chamber with a semi.

You won't go wrong with a 10/22 and it is more versatile, can be easily adapted, upgraded etc.

Without modifications, what length barrel should I be looking for, or does the standard 10/22 have a set barrel length?
    Thanks for your patience.

Without modifications, what length barrel should I be looking for, or does the standard 10/22 have a set barrel length?
    Thanks for your patience.

To be honest I can't remember what length my factory Ruger barrel was. I think it was around 18 to 20 inches. I don't think the 10/22 factory models come with a big selection of barrel lengths. Any of the ones I have seen all seem to have roughly the same barrel length.

Have you ever shot a semi-auto rifle before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I have a Cz 455 .22lr as my first rifle. It came fitted with a 4-12x50 scope and is very accurate out to 80 yards for a beginner. Why I chose this rifle was because the barrel can be swapped to a .17hmr if I want to go up a calibre without changing rifles. I was quoted €240 for the .17hmr barrel a heck of a lot cheaper than a new rifle. I also picked up a decent bipod which is a great aid for accuracy.

Luckysasha, can you swap over the barrels yourself? Is it a five minute job? Thanks for the information.
    BattleCorp, 18 or 20" would seem fine as I understand the .22 would have it`s limitations.
    No, never used the semi-auto. Just a very weary 1890 (made in 1906). A lovely little gun that I had to do significant work on to bring it back to life. If funds would allow, I would buy one in the morning. Alas, that wont happen in a hurry.
    Any advice I get is greatly appreciated and the more I get, the better it will help me.While I understand the bolt action would assist accuracy, having another in the chamber could make up for the lack of accuracy and ever increasing wobbles.
    Thanks again,
    walyo

BattleCorp, I would love to see a photo of your pimped out 10/22.

walyo

Yep simple enough process to change barrels. There is actually a couple of YouTube videos on the subject. Only thing to be aware of is if you have 2 barells you need two licenses one for each calibre.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Yep simple enough process to change barrels. There is actually a couple of YouTube videos on the subject. Only thing to be aware of is if you have 2 barells you need two licenses one for each calibre.
    At 240 euro + 80 for the license, I think I would take the second gun option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Would swapping barrels from .22 to 17hmr not require a magnum .22 action?

No action is the same. All it requires is the removal of a plug to accommodate the bigger .17hmr magazine. I think you can swap the barrels to .22lr magnum and win mag also. Have a look on you tube there are very good reviews of the different options and procedures for swapping barrels

Advertisement