Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ktm 950/990 tell me this......

• 16-11-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I've the horn on me for a Ktm adventure.... anyone had one? Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You want our opinions on our horns? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Better fun than any other adventure style bike but nowhere as reliable as say a DL1000 or Varadero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

goodlad wrote: »
    You want our opinions on our horns? :eek:
    Laughing my head off, I just re-read what I wrote........

Oodoov wrote: »
    Better fun than any other adventure style bike but nowhere as reliable as say a DL1000 or Varadero.

Varadero? Reliable? Pfffffft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I now a guy who bought one from nearly-new. Loves it. Bought a 2nd one. Loves it.

Apart from the clutch basket falling off the gearbox shaft and wrecking the engine cases it seems to have been quite reliable ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Had one for a month. Good fun but was very happy to be back to my GS afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Haven't had an adventure but have had a Superduke 990 and currently have a supermoto 950 R, they both share engines with the adventure 990 and 950 respectively. I never had any reliability issues nor have I heard of them being particularly unreliable, there are a couple of know problems like water pump and sprag clutch but nothing too major once looked after. Personally I prefer the carbed 950 engine, while not quite as powerful as the 990 it has beautiful smooth fueling, the 990 has power delivery like an on/off switch which can be annoying around town. Id pick the KTM over any of the other alternatives mentioned, unless you are over 60 and have lost the will to live, then go for a beemer GS :)

I bought an 1150 GS when I was 23. Still the best bike I've ridden by a long way. That's why every other manufacturer has been imitating them for the last 10 years.

But hey it's cooler if it's got KTM written on it. The lads will think you're deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I bought an 1150 GS when I was 23. Still the best bike I've ridden by a long way. That's why every other manufacturer has been imitating them for the last 10 years.

But hey it's cooler if it's got KTM written on it. The lads will think you're deadly.

Ye Beemer riders have no sense of humour at all, the smiley face at the end of my comment obviously meant I was joking jeez...

Seriously though, if the 1150 GS is the best bike you have ever ridden, you need to book a test drive on a few bikes

I'm currently a BMW rider..... f650gs (twin) lovely bike but I'm never happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rustynutz wrote: »
    Seriously though, if the 1150 GS is the best bike you have ever ridden, you need to book a test drive on a few bikes

S1000RR for starters :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Makes me sad to see ye lads arguing over which is the best bike to ride when I'm stuck on a ****king ER5 for the next 2 years.

S1000RR for starters :)
    I've never lived anywhere that an S1000 would be anywhere close to appropriate. I also tend to put up big miles on my bikes. For me it's a completely useless piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

+1 on the 1150gs. Have had about 20 bikes so far (including some japanese - vfr800, zx12r) but i think the gs combines the best handling, comfort, reliability and real world power in one package. Ok, if just looking at the stats it doesnt seem to make sense on paper (only 85hp) but you get to use every one of those bhp's on the road unlike other inline 4s where they make all their power from 7k rpm and upwards.
    Drove the 950 adventure and found the power delivery jerky at low speeds, but overall was a nice bike

I've never lived anywhere that an S1000 would be anywhere close to appropriate. I also tend to put up big miles on my bikes. For me it's a completely useless piece of kit.

Same as that! Connemara is no place for a s1000r (unfortunately) :) I like the 1150gs but they're long in the tooth now, as for the 1200.... I had one for a week in Romania and loved it but there was the nagging fear that it would break down and be very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

CaptainR wrote: »
    Makes me sad to see ye lads arguing over which is the best bike to ride when I'm stuck on a ****king ER5 for the next 2 years.

You think that's bad?
    I'm stuck on a Hyosung GV250 the last 5 years.
    Can't sell the damn thing, nobody wants it, but it just won't break down and give me a reason to upgrade! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

raven41 wrote: »
    +1 on the 1150gs. Have had about 20 bikes so far (including some japanese - vfr800, zx12r) but i think the gs combines the best handling, comfort, reliability and real world power in one package. Ok, if just looking at the stats it doesnt seem to make sense on paper (only 85hp) but you get to use every one of those bhp's on the road unlike other inline 4s where they make all their power from 7k rpm and upwards.
    Drove the 950 adventure and found the power delivery jerky at low speeds, but overall was a nice bike

Dl650 Dl1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's an argument it's not appropriate anywhere really, except on a track, but meh, we were talking about excitement not practicality.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

serious3 wrote: »
    Varadero? Reliable? Pfffffft

Courier friend put 180,000 miles on his in 7 years working dispatch in Birmingham and nothing went wrong besides the usual wear and tear. Put 38,000 odd on mine in 4 years commuting and ditto so yeah i'd say they fairly reliable. I'm sure horror stories are out there as with every bike though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CaptainR wrote: »

....quit yer bitchin' - I know a guy who has an ER5 and doesn't WANT to move off it !! :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Courier friend put 180,000 miles on his in 7 years working dispatch in Birmingham and nothing went wrong besides the usual wear and tear. Put 38,000 odd on mine in 4 years commuting and ditto so yeah i'd say they fairly reliable. I'm sure horror stories are out there as with every bike though.

One here I'm fed up of! Reg/recs, stator, cct, carb balancing, tps resets, fork seals.....list goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....quit yer bitchin' - I know a guy who has an ER5 and doesn't WANT to move off it !! :eek:

Its not even the ER5 per say, its the inability to choose anything else, for most people who window shop its a lack of funds that means they can only dream, for me its lack of funds and the law says im not allowed. The ER5 is grand, I'll definitely keep and run it into the ground even when I'm unrestricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was looking at getting a 950 years ago. Carb one suffered from carb icing, but I think the later ones were fixed. And it was also supposed to be the most uncomfortable saddle ever made, lots of people swapped them out. Other than that, great bike. I went for the GS at the time, but I don't do the same milage now as I did then so I'd go for the KTM if I had to choose now.

I'd say the multistrada would give it a run for it's money in the fun stakes.

Advertisement