Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Congratulations J, brilliant time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Nice to meet you last night J and finally put a face with the pseudonym. Congrats on the PB definitely hard fought for after the turnaround in that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

holy cow!!! excellent result!!!
    Great stuff J!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, J, very well done!

Thanks guys, still enjoying the feeling I'm making some real progress :D
    diego_b wrote: »
    Super time there J, delighted for you. Nice to catch up with you!

Nice one D, and likewise! Tougher going for you after the long drive. I'd a 25 minute walk from work beforehand. You're doing really well of late, keep it up!
    aquinn wrote: »
    Brilliant, absolutely fantastic. Well done.

At least I knew you this time to properly roar.

Cheers A! All I could do was a glance to the side IIRC. No talking!
    Well done and congrats on the PB.

Thanks M, and belated congrats on your own, a fine read!
    Singer wrote: »
    Great stuff J. It was fantastic watching you cross the line with sub-20 on the clock. I think you neglected to mention a big scream of delight when you crossed the line? :)

You looked close to collapse after finishing, definitely a sign of having given it your all - well done!

Yes indeed, amazed I could get a roar out of me at the end!

This is something I've had a problem with all the way through - keeping going even though I know I'm into the red. Historically, my reaction has generally been to ease off and/or basically pack it in. This time I actually got a fair few on the end as opposed to just coasting home.

I had this tune in my head. Apologies for the triathlon clips :eek:

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    That's a fantastic result J, blew it out of the water, great running and PB.

Thanks a million, 20 seconds off really feels like I nailed it. Over a minute quicker than my previous best 5k time this year (Castleknock).
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Fantastic performanc and result, well done :)
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Brilliant run and report J, delighted for you.

Thanks guys, some great work from yourselves lately too!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    That's some improvement on Jingle Bells! Savage time and great report! Really delighted for ya:D

Thanks A, it's a far cry from 24 hour races and whatnot, but still I'm thrilled with it, especially as JB is a fairly hefty downhill course :pac: Feels great to have a 5k PB starting with a 1.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Wow. Great result. Delighted for you.
    kin9pin wrote: »
    Congratulations J, brilliant time!

Thanks so much, really appreciate all the positive feedback :D
    Nice to meet you last night J and finally put a face with the pseudonym. Congrats on the PB definitely hard fought for after the turnaround in that wind.

Thanks L, you too! 3-4k is tough anyway if you're pushing like you should be in a 5k, but that wind was a lot stronger than I was expecting. It's a great race, where you've got lots of runners to push you along regardless of your standard; a great help to me last night.

So going forward there's a slightly different emphasis. Marathon training notwithstanding, it means I'm not seeking out random "fast" parkruns purely to chase that elusive sub-20. My 10k PB (currently 43:32) seems very weak compared to 19:43 for 5k, does it not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What, no Gaeilge for 'boom'?

What, no Gaeilge for 'boom'?

Au contraire...

Bheadh sé sin mar "BÚIREADH!!" :D

Here to help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Not trying to be a party pooper but consistently is now the aim, take care of current goal, don't loose focus now:) plenty of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Outstanding. Completely nailed it. I'm actually a tad jealous but also encouraged that it can be done with the right prep, the right attitude. And you did it - it's a terrific milestone that deserves to be celebrated, and I hope you did. Kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Brilliant stuff, J! delighted for you. I was marshalling on SB Bridge but too busy trying to hold off rogue pedestrians and cyclists to pay much attention to the race. Glad you got the sub 20 monkey off your back - with plenty to spare! Congratulations and bring on the 10k.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Not trying to be a party pooper but consistently is now the aim, take care of current goal, don't loose focus now:) plenty of time.

Absolutely! The overall goal being a sub 3:30 in DCM ;)
    Outstanding. Completely nailed it. I'm actually a tad jealous but also encouraged that it can be done with the right prep, the right attitude. And you did it - it's a terrific milestone that deserves to be celebrated, and I hope you did. Kudos!

Here's the thing. I got through that one by sheer bloodymindedness in the end. Not giving up. No stopping now. No distractions. No talking. It gave me the critical extra seconds. Probably the recent memories of Inishbofin sessions and running the steep way up Djouce mountain gave me that extra HTFU I don't normally have. Conquered the demons inside as well as out :)

Next time you go for it full on, I've no doubt you'll get it. I'm not sure how it would fit into your overall plan, but maybe being a sub-20 pacee in St Annes at the end of the month, as opposed to the regular pacer gig, will get you through that barrier.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff, J! delighted for you. I was marshalling on SB Bridge but too busy trying to hold off rogue pedestrians and cyclists to pay much attention to the race. Glad you got the sub 20 monkey off your back - with plenty to spare! Congratulations and bring on the 10k.

Thanks G, sorry I missed you! Too busy focussing on what was directly in front of me to be watching out for Boardsie marshals :D Not an easy job for you guys either. aquinn mentioned having a fair bit of hassle at her spot. Hope you're back in action yourself soon!

Fri 7/7 - Rest

Sat 8/7 - Donabate parkrun

It being a fine sunny morning, my wife decided to join me for the latest parkrun roadtrip, as we made our way to Newbridge House. Got there in plenty of time for briefings, and found a spot on the grass a couple of rows back from the front.

Kept it nice and steady throughout, with a pain free run the aim. As it turned out, I went along at closer to 10k pace. Got passed by a couple heading out around the farm, but this time I had no interest in chasing. Trying to keep my effort (such as it was) reasonably consistent was the aim here. A guy passed me going back through the forest, but again I let him off; I'd passed back the two or three that passed me earlier. A young lad kept trying to block me off and then surging ahead every time I passed him. This happened four or five times. I didn't say anything, just kept it steady. Before the bottom of the hill (did we go up one?) which takes you back to the main avenue back to the house, I passed him again, and by the time I'd turned at the bollard in front of the gate, he'd stopped to walk. Bit of a breeze on the run home. I was happy enough to keep going as I was, knowing I was well within my limits. However, with my wife watching I speeded up a little bit for the last 200 :D even though at that stage I had no chance of catching anyone or being caught.

Time: 21:43
    Position: 11/136 (2nd M40)

I enjoyed this one; even with the two u-turns, I'd have it among the easier Dublin parkruns. It would have been foolish to try go through the gears this morning, as the legs were still feeling a bit stiff from Thursday. The fact that I ran a slower time here than on a much tougher River Valley course, should illustrate how much effort I put into today's stint. I sweated almost as much in the process of cutting the grass after we got home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J, fantastic result. Congrats on the sub 20.

Absolutely! The overall goal being a sub 3:30 in DCM ;)

Here's the thing. I got through that one by sheer bloodymindedness in the end. Not giving up. No stopping now. No distractions. No talking. It gave me the critical extra seconds. Probably the recent memories of Inishbofin sessions and running the steep way up Djouce mountain gave me that extra HTFU I don't normally have. Conquered the demons inside as well as out :)

Next time you go for it full on, I've no doubt you'll get it. I'm not sure how it would fit into your overall plan, but maybe being a sub-20 pacee in St Annes at the end of the month, as opposed to the regular pacer gig, will get you through that barrier.

Thanks G, sorry I missed you! Too busy focussing on what was directly in front of me to be watching out for Boardsie marshals :D Not an easy job for you guys either. aquinn mentioned having a fair bit of hassle at her spot. Hope you're back in action yourself soon!

You're a gas man. There's no way the St Anne's brass would let me pace sub-20 before I've achieved 17:xx at least, which is, well, unlikely. But I appreciate the spirit of the post and yes, a lash will be given sooner or later. ;) Cheers.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done J, fantastic result. Congrats on the sub 20.

Thanks L, hope to see you back at full tilt soon :)
    You're a gas man. There's no way the St Anne's brass would let me pace sub-20 before I've achieved 17:xx at least, which is, well, unlikely. But I appreciate the spirit of the post and yes, a lash will be given sooner or later. ;) Cheers.

No hassle :) I might not have made the pacer/pacee thing clear enough :pac:

Fair play to the Cru and St Annes pr, having so many (yourself included) who are willing and able to do those gigs at the expense of their own runs :D

Oops - must read more carefully in future. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Oops - must read more carefully in future. :o

Me fail English ? That's unpossible!

:D

Sun 9/7 - Club long run, Phoenix Park

Arrived at Castleknock Gate bang on 8 o'clock. Not seeing any friendly faces there, off I popped for a solo run around the usual 5 mile loop that we cover at this time. Felt ok throughout this stint.

Back at base for 8:45, and about 10 clubmates gathered before we headed for the trails. Loads of congrats on my little milestone :D before we split into two groups. I made no attempt to hang on to the faster lads. Four of us kept it at a much more relaxed conversational pace, to bring my run up to 12 miles or so for the day. Only about 22 miles for the week, but that was mainly due to the race.

While looking for a plan to help one of our Novices, I found this 16 week Asics plan, which so far I like the look of. It has plenty of sessions included, and the mileage doesn't seem to be insurmountable.

I'll be volunteering at the BHAA 5k in Irishtown on Wednesday evening. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

PaulieYifter was spectating with about 500 to go. Or was it 600?

Just catching up now J. Very well done.

I wasn't spectating - I was hard at work stopping pedestrians from getting in your way I'll have you know ;)
    I missed you in your lovely MSB colours but I think the green and black suits you better :D

Just catching up now J. Very well done.

I wasn't spectating - I was hard at work stopping pedestrians from getting in your way I'll have you know ;)
    I missed you in your lovely MSB colours but I think the green and black suits you better :D

Great stuff P, thanks a million! Hopefully more improvements to come here. Very quiet yourself of late?

No easy task from what I heard! Nobody got in my way, a mark of fine stewarding :) Great event, very well organised.

Yeah I imagine it's hard to get used to seeing an old Erins Isle Junior B superstar running around in a different kit :pac: I must try the MSB singlet/Isles socks combo next time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

A bit late to the party here but brilliant going at docklands, fantastic result for you!! Well done.

Immortality Beckons! Week 1 of 16

Ok, so with DCM looming large on the horizon, I've decided to go with the Asics plan above. Lots of sessions in there, including some potentially very tough ones that I haven't tried before. Even so, beating a long standing target time has given me a dose of confidence.

In this context, "immortality" will be achieved by me running a sub 3:30 marathon :D

Or maybe I'm setting the bar too low? Time will tell.

Mon 10/7

Plan: 3m easy
    Actual: 0

Worst possible start. But I'll try and sugarcoat it somewhat. Between a goal race last Thursday, a parkrun, and a 12 mile LSR, having the night off might not have been the worst thing ever to happen. I'd all good intentions, but between (among other things) being caught late in work, and then stuck on a train for over half an hour due to some idiot driver hitting a railway bridge, I ended up having dinner instead when I got home, over three hours after leaving the office :mad:

Tue 11/7

Plan: 1M jog + 4 x 800@3:30 pace (400m jog recoveries) + 1M jog
    Actual: As above + 1 mile

I made my way to the grass track in Porterstown for this, the first session on the plan. Bit apprehensive as (a) I was tired after a long slow day in work, and (b) there were a few considerably faster athletes training/watching.

Eventually, I kicked into action. First rep felt very easy, although I went way too fast on the first lap, and eased right down for 3:29. Second one a handy 3:30. Last two felt a fair bit harder, due to general tiredness and an attempt to pick up the pace. Happy enough with the results though, 3:24 and 3:22. Few stretches at the end of the prescribed session; the extra mile was made up by my shuffle out and back from the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Looking forward to seeing how the marathon training progresses.....good luck with it...sub 3.30 seems like an achievable target.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heard about the bridge thing.

Looking forward to hearing how the Asics plan works in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

and then stuck on a train for over half an hour due to some idiot driver hitting a railway bridge, I ended up having dinner instead when I got home, over three hours after leaving the office :mad:

Get a bike!!! I'm not kidding :D the thoughts of getting back on that train are always enough to get me through the cycle on a cold wet morning!!

Best of luck with the Asics plan and the DCM target!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Just in catch up mode here J. With a km to go in future you now know that there is only opportunity :D. Superb, a fine gutsy run.

annapr wrote: »
    A bit late to the party here but brilliant going at docklands, fantastic result for you!! Well done.

Thanks A, sorry I missed you! Yes one of my finest running moments to date :D
    Looking forward to seeing how the marathon training progresses.....good luck with it...sub 3.30 seems like an achievable target.

Nice one C. You're shooting the lights out lately. I've a fair ways to go to catch up :)
    Heard about the bridge thing.

Looking forward to hearing how the Asics plan works in the real world.

So am I, let me tell ya. Seems a fair bit different from P & D, but if I get a result I'll not complain :)
    Get a bike!!! I'm not kidding :D the thoughts of getting back on that train are always enough to get me through the cycle on a cold wet morning!!

Best of luck with the Asics plan and the DCM target!

Thanks AM, I'm more likely to start trying runmutes later on than cycling in and out of work though. Quays are way too crowded for my liking :rolleyes:
    denis b wrote: »
    Just in catch up mode here J. With a km to go in future you now know that there is only opportunity :D. Superb, a fine gutsy run.

Thanks D, it probably helped that I didn't have any vipers to dodge around :pac:
    More days like it to come, fingers crossed!

Wed 12/7 - BHAA DCC 5k, Irishtown

The plan called for a steady (8:30 min/mile) 4 miler. However, I'd committed to volunteering over in D4, so no running for me. I enjoyed it, marshalling at the main car park entrance and giving great encouragement, if I say so myself :D

Finished up at about 9:30, having helped out with prizegiving etc (and of course had a few biccies) afterwards.

Thu 13/7 - Session, Porterstown Park

Plan: 9:00 min/mile + 2 x 8:00 m/m + 9:00 m/m
    Actual: 7:56/7:30/7:31/8:40 + 1 mile wu/cd

One of the easiest sessions in the Asics plan. The Boards plan has had harder ones already; I felt like a bit of a fraud doing this. Especially as I ended up making a bit of a horlicks of it.

A very slow paced jog up to Porterstown to begin. I was undecided whether to return to the grass track, but the sight of the cricketers on the infield meant it would be a tarmac job tonight. Straight into it I went. Probably a mistake, as I ended up going way too fast around and down to the bottom of the park. Even slowing to near walking pace at times, I still ended up faster than 3:30 PMP.

Second two laps were at least consistent, but closer to 3:17/3:18 PMP. I suppose I had a lot more energy in my legs, having had last night off. Even so, I hope it won't have too much of a negative impact in the long run. Slowed right down for the last lap, but even that was quicker than prescribed.

I'm going to deviate from the plan (again) for this weekend. I intend to go to the inaugural Fairview parkrun on Saturday. Apart from ticking another one off the list, I can approach it whatever way I want - a 3 lap course gives me plenty of scope. On the other side, I'll go a bit further than 8 miles on Sunday - I should comfortably attain low double figures with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

See you on Saturday! :)

And good luck with the DCM training.

Fri 14/7 - Rest (both plan & actual)

Sat 15/7

Plan: 3m inc hill session or circuit
    Actual: Fairview parkrun #1

A nice relaxing drive over to D3, where I found some handy free parking in Marino, before crossing the footbridge into Fairview Park. Beforehand I got to chat with volunteers Bungy Girl and annapr, while I also caught up with Annie Get Your Run, nop98, FBOT01 and Murph_D. I made sure to thank nop for recommending me for the Novices mentor position :D and also to congratulate D on his parkrun prémier position en France. I might also mention that I resisted BG's attempts to goad me into racing him :pac: First time pleasure of meeting Mrs Mc, laura_ac3 and aquinn. Loads of non boardsie friends and acquaintances in attendance too, so it made for a very relaxed buildup. After an easy shuffle around half of the lap, and a listen to an understandably nervous RD, we were ready to go.

With it being a three lap course, I had decided to treat it as a progression run. No idea what my lap times were, I just did what made me happy. I started off somewhere in the middle, and the opening few yards were at nearly walking pace. Even so, no need for a lad beside me to shout "Runners coming through, Track!" to people ahead of him as we turned alongside the Tolka. Who did he think he was, Eamonn Coghlan?! It separated out soon enough anyway, yet as I cleared that little group and made my way up BG Hill for the first time, oddly enough TRACK! was nowhere to be seen :)

Coming down the grassy slopes to turn left along the main path, I spotted Nop and Nop Jr ahead. Bragging rights at stake? :D That was fine, but what annoyed me was two ludramáns coming down the starting hill and tucking in about 50 yards ahead of me as if they had been there from the start :mad:

I caught red and black top before we'd even gone up BG Hill for the second time. Nop and Jr passed BG at the top of the hill, just before I did. So for the craic I gave a shout out "I'M COMING TO GET YOU NOP!" :D All in good fun :)

Yellow top was still ahead of me though. Surprised to catch up to FBOT at the end of lap 2. Quick chat and I was off after yellow top. Didn't care about anyone else, just wanted to get yer man. I could see him trying to get his arms going as we ran along the river. I had my moment to strike. Going up BG Hill, he was passing two guys on the right, oblivious to me passing them all on the left. I didn't see him again. I kept up a reasonable tempo from there to the end, but decided not to sprint the 50 yards or so along the grass to the finish. I did however go back to give aquinn a shout as she let her pacee drift ahead of her :D

Time : 22:35
    Position: 39/276, 5th M40

Caught up with most of the aforementioned Boardsies again afterwards (sorry if I left anyone out), as well as aquinn's beau P, who told me a fun story about how he was signed up for the Rock 'N' Roll HM :pac: Good aul laugh anyway, and hope I'll be back for another shot at it.

Nice going, J. Hopefully the ludramáns had just started late and did the three laps in the end. ;)

And plenty of time for racing next week. The form is with you at the moment, of course. I know who my money would be on. ;)

Nice going, J. Hopefully the ludramáns had just started late and did the three laps in the end. ;)

And plenty of time for racing next week. The form is with you at the moment, of course. I know who my money would be on. ;)

Fair play D, an enjoyable runaround. Sure you were hardly racing yourself, otherwise you wouldn't have let Killerz go by you, double buggy and all, the morning after running a marathon :pac: A lot of people not racing; apart from FBOT, I caught fletch just before the finish.

I'm guessing that was Ferris B that cajoled you into going for a run afterwards?

• Advertisement

Sun 16/7

Plan: 8m easy
    Actual: Club run, Phoenix Park

Week 1 of the Asics plan is quite soft, so I decided to push the mileage out a bit. Handy 5:00+ kms to start off for the opening 5 mile stint, then the next group joined us for some trail miles. I led out for a while early on (to keep the pace down as much as anything else :D) but later dropped into the middle of the pack. Pace here was 8:00-8:15 per mile mostly, but I was comfortable enough with it. However, about 9 miles in, I felt my hamstring getting a bit tight, so I eased myself out the back and shuffled back to base on my own. 11.5m approx, 8:00-9:00m/m. "Nice" bit of foam rolling when I got home.

Overall week 1 mileage stats:
    Plan: 27
    Actual: 26

Looking ahead, this Asics plan doesn't factor in any races at all. Seriously, do they know anything about me? :pac:

Which means that I have to do a lot more jiggerypokery in relation to next week. There's a very tough session of 200s on the plan for Tuesday. However, I've never run this kind of session before, and trying it for the first time in race week is almost certainly asking for trouble. I'll probably replace it with the steady run, and go to the club session on Wednesday. After that, it'll be mini taper time, in preparation for an assault on my PB set in last year's Fingal 10k. Thanks for reading!
    J.

Advertisement