Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Just the club session for me this morning J cracking day for the K Club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sat 25/3 - BHAA K Club 10k, Straffan

Pre Race

After a four year absence, I finally returned for a second crack at one of the BHAA's most popular races. On a beautiful sunny morning, I arrived in plenty of time to register and do all the needful in comfort. One small thing occurred to me somewhere around Lucan; I didn't bother with suncream, having apparently taken care of everything else. Sure it's Ireland in March, are you having a laugh?

Plenty of Boardsies in the 429 runner field. I had a chat with adrian522, to discover that he was aiming for 42-43. Stick with him and a PBs mine, I'm thinking! Optimistic I know, considering how fat and out of shape I'm feeling lately. I also met jake1970 for the first time, wearing the above Boards top. Nice to meet you, you'll get those four seconds next time no doubt. RedRunner was there too, in good form as he continues his comeback towards peak fitness. I was also pleasantly surprised to bump into fellow DCM 2016 graduate FITZA; sadly not running, but there to support.

There was also a nice tribute to the late BHAA stalwart Maurice Timmins before we got away; this was the first race since his passing.

The race consisted of a 1.8k run out of the grounds before turning right, followed by two 2 mile loops before coming back in the way you went out. RayCun's profile illustrates it below.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/170153967

Out

A slight change to previous years here. Instead of going straight through the roundabout, we went left and around the back road. adrian522 shot off down the hill straight away, and I didn't see him again. So much for that plan :rolleyes: I tried to keep it steady up the narrow drag, having also maybe started a little further back than I should have. Even so, I was picking off some familiar faces earlier than I'm used to (when I catch them, that is!) A Revenue guy who I know well from these races was doing his damnedest to hang on, with a couple of surges to get ahead of me briefly. I knew I'd get rid of him soon enough though, and so it proved.

Loop 1

The course is as flat as you're going to get really, just as well as far as I was concerned. I was making up plenty of places overall, and feeling fairly comfortable even though I was pushing myself harder than I have been of late. We reached the half way point shortly before the end of the loop, but I was thinking there was still a lot more to do. Around the 4k mark, I passed a young lad who was already walking. FITZA gave me a shout as we ended the first spin and turned left for another go.

Loop 2

It got noticeably warmer as the race went on, my own effort levels notwithstanding. The other issue here was that there was barely any breeze, except for along the shortest part of the triangle/loop. I was starting to really feel it here, and slowed to a walk as I took water on board somewhere between the 6 and 7k markers. I'd lost a few places as a result, but I knew there were still plenty more I could catch; although maybe not the aforementioned, who slowly pulled clear. There was a work colleague and another guy with whom I've had some good battles up ahead, and I was catching both of them. Plenty of incentive, stay with it! I was also having a battle with an Eir runner; we passed each other several times through here. Finally, around the 8k mark, I caught and passed the two lads. No talking though. Start getting into chit chat and I'm gone. Concentrate, less than ten minutes left!

In

Right come on, a mile and a bit and we're home! I could see a lot of runners ahead, but I was struggling as we slowly approached the 9k marker. Trying to stay positive, "less than 5 minutes, push on!" I dropped the Eir runner around here, and didn't see him again. I tried to pick up the pace and build towards a last push as we turned left back into the grounds. FITZA was here again, and gave me another shout "You're on 41:20". Ok, so with less than half a mile to go, something good might be on here!

The first part of the turn back in is downhill, but it's uphill to the finish, and I was mindful of this (in addition to my lack of fitness!) and hence reluctant to go full tilt just yet. Bottom of the hill reached, right that's it! Caprica gave me a shout here, and I blasted by a guy I'd been tracking for a while, as I saw the clock make its way through the 43s. Come on, you can beat 44! All the way up, MOVE IT!!!! I was gasping for air as I approached the gantry, but then I knew I'd beaten it, and was delighted but in a heap, as I found a spot on the grass to sit down and catch my breath.

43:53, which is a course PB, and my second fastest ever 10k (PB 43:32), over a minute faster than my Carlingford time from three weeks ago. Chuffed with that! I tucked into hotdogs, macaroons and cakes afterwards to celebrate. Top marks to all involved there :D

Next

I'm signed up for my first attempt at the Great Ireland Run, which takes place on April 9. A PB would really be a great achievement on such a challenging course. However, maybe the extra depth of field will bring me along further. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well raced J, nothing like a race to bring you on for the next push.

Great stuff J.....you have to be happy with that! Sounds like some spread afterwards aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice one J congratulations on the PB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice going yesterday, told you that you would improve on Carlingford. Keep her lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Great time J and a great race report (as always).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done WW!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well raced J, nothing like a race to bring you on for the next push.

Agreed, although earlier in the year I might have been guilty of racing to train, as opposed to training to race! My schedule's a bit more spread out over the next few months.
    Great stuff J.....you have to be happy with that! Sounds like some spread afterwards aswell!

I certainly am C! Especially considering the size of the Ned Kelly on me - before the race, never mind after :D Sorry you couldn't make it yourself. I highly recommend it.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Nice one J congratulations on the PB.

Cheers T, it was an actual PB for me the first time I ran it, in what was my third 10k attempt, way back in 2013. With a bit of structure to my training I could have taken the actual PB out yesterday. Not to worry, more chances to come.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Nice going yesterday, told you that you would improve on Carlingford. Keep her lit.

This was an absolute minimum requirement. Notwithstanding the fact that the K Club course would generally be considered as being more favourable, I knew that I didn't get anywhere near the best out of myself in County Louth.
    kin9pin wrote: »
    Great time J and a great race report (as always).

Thanks A, if only I had a goal race coming up, who knows what I could do :)
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done WW!

Thanks N, another man coming up to a goal race! Training going well for you too it seems. Raging I can't go to Conn this year!

Sun 26/3 - Dunboyne 4 Mile Club run, Phoenix Park

At one stage, the Dunboyne race was part of my schedule, although I hadn't stumped up the cash, perhaps in the back of my mind knowing something would go wrong. With the K Club and the BHAA Dublin City Council races swapping dates, I decided to stay with the K Club, and add in the GIR instead.

Of course, I *could* have gone to Dunboyne today as well. Looking through the results, I noticed a number of people took on the back to back. I'm just not training enough to consider it worth the risk, weak as my 4 mile PB is (27:58).

Instead, a small group of us headed off at 8 for a shorter than usual spin. This entailed firstly running down to OS road, then turning up towards Farmleigh and back along the tarmac path to Castleknock Gate. With nobody else appearing in the meantime, we ran back down Chesterfield, this time turning down the Furze Road and continuing through to Knockmaroon Gate.

From here, we followed the trail beside the walls of Mount Sackville and Farmleigh, before turning back down White's Road again towards OS Road and back up to Castleknock Gate. The pace was gentle enough by Sunday morning standards, so I picked up my own pace for the last couple of hundred metres.

I had a hurling match at 10:30, so I left the others to continue on while I headed for home. All things considered, a surprisingly decent week's work!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done yesterday, that's a good result and a good report!

• Advertisement

Nice one A, I'm just glad I resisted the temptation to try and follow you down the hill at the start. That might not have turned out as nicely!

I didn't make it to Parnell. It was one of those afternoons where something had to give. My own team won comfortably at least. Ah well, can't have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice going Wubble! Looks like a well raced race (and well fed post-race :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J, that was a great run in very warm conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great run J and a nice report to match. Me thinks your 10 km pb wont last too long. Enjoy the chase.

Singer wrote: »
    Nice going Wubble! Looks like a well raced race (and well fed post-race :D ).

Thanks B, I would recommend it! A competitive field (probably the strongest overall in BHAA) and top notch post race feed. I was 210th out of 429 finishers this time. Can't get much more mid pack than that :D
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done J, that was a great run in very warm conditions.

Thanks L, I'm still pleasantly surprised by it all. Looking back I probably should have grabbed some water on the first loop as well. It was only subsequently that the warmer weather began to have an impact on me.
    denis b wrote: »
    Great run J and a nice report to match. Me thinks your 10 km pb wont last too long. Enjoy the chase.

Nice one D, I hope you're right on this. It won't be for want of trying in the next while. My next two races (GIR and ARC Cancer Support) are both 10k. It will probably be the Fingal race in July (where I set my PB last year) before I have a strong chance to take it out however; DCM training, and the structure it brings, should hopefully be coming along nicely by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done J, I'll be running the GIR run as well so might catch you there. I did it before 3 years ago in my second 10K race, it's not the fastest course from what I can recall but will be going for a pb that day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, J! Love that race and sorry to miss it this year. Great result to have in the bag ahead of the next few 10k's.

diego_b wrote: »
    Well done J, I'll be running the GIR run as well so might catch you there. I did it before 3 years ago in my second 10K race, it's not the fastest course from what I can recall but will be going for a pb that day as well.

Thanks D, literally as well as figuratively? I know I was ahead in Raheny, but you've progressed a lot since!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done, J! Love that race and sorry to miss it this year. Great result to have in the bag ahead of the next few 10k's.

Thanks G ! Yes indeed, having finished with the XC circuit I'm now having a stint on the 10k circuit :)

Mon 27/3 - Rest

My GIR race pack arrived in today's post. Great to have it all taken care of in advance.

Tue 28/3 - Rest

I'm very much up for the 3 Country Marathon weekend in Austria in October. It looks fantastic, as well as being endorsed by one of our most experienced boardsies! It'll be the half for me though, a nice gentle trot three weeks ahead of DCM.

Wed 29/3 - Club session, Morton Stadium

No DOMS to report from last weekend's race, although I'm still not 100% recovered from a nasty looking (not to mention somewhat uncomfortable!) dose of chafing. Even so, I reckoned tonight's run was badly needed with the GIR in mind.

After a 2k warmup including strides, we were set for 800/800/800/400/800/400. Coming down the home straight on the opening lap in our first eight, I was initially slow to react to a call of "Track!" from behind, then jerked to the side at an awkward angle and seemed to tweak something in my back. I stepped off and waited for the group to come around, before jumping back in. My next two 8s were shocking, with differentials of over 10 seconds between the lap times on both occasions. 400 was a bit better, as I had a more steady rhythm even if the time wasn't brilliant. The last 800 was a 400 for me, as I was really struggling and stepped off. However, I saved the best for last, and gave it a good hard push for the last 400. Nobody caught me on the home straight, although one or two certainly tried! An easy 2k warmdown and some stretches finished the evening off.

Overall, I'm happy enough, although I still look and feel "several" pounds overweight, coming up to a race which will have a large club contingent taking part.

Times: X/3:09/3:15/1:26/X/1:19

Thu 30/3 - 4 miles(ish) in 31:21

This was just an easy enough two turns of the loop that runs through Luttrellstown, Riverwood and past the Carpenterstown shops. I would have completed it in under 30, but I stopped to chat to a friend and fellow parkrunner near the end of my stint, and didn't bother stopping the clock.

Fri 31/3 - Rest

It will be. Of that I'm certain.

March Review

It's been another month with a lot of inactivity I'm afraid. 75 miles or thereabouts is not where I want to be later on in the year. That's for the month, for anyone just dropping in; some posters here easily beat that in a week! Life, study etc etc has impacted greatly of late, with just 16 days running out of 31.

One thing that has changed, is that I'm racing considerably less than at the start of the year. Just two races in March, with two soft parkruns in between. I was a lot happier with my K Club 10k, which was over a minute faster than my Carlingford attempt; that PB will surely go once the fitness and form comes back.

I managed to get to a few club runs too, but again, this is something that I will have to make more of a habit of come the summer. In the meantime, I have the GIR to look forward to next week, followed by exams towards the end of April. Thanks for reading! See ye later.
    J.

Sat 1/4 - Club session, Phoenix Park - First Cut Is The Deepest

I wasn't particularly looking forward to this, as (a) I don't make it to these very often, and (b) a few Friday night scoops weren't ideal preparation. Anyway, I took it handy running from the house to White's Gate (roughly 2 miles) to meet the coach, before we made our way to the area behind the Papal Cross.

The plan was 4 x 880 metre runs, with 2 mins (?) recoveries. We ran down one side of the triangle towards the Acres Road, following the grass cutting around, and back up to meet the coach. The second part was into the wind and completely exposed, with the first and third runs having longer stints into the breeze.

For my first time trying these, I wasn't too bad. 3:39/3:37/3:38/3:37, so consistent at least, even if I was gasping towards the end of them! After a few stretches, we went what our captain calls "the long way home", before I left the others at White's Gate and shuffled the rest of the way home on my own. Close to double figures overall for today's mileage I reckon. Tired but happy with how it went. So happy I even got the lawnmower out when I got home :D

• Advertisement

Sun 2/4 - Club long run, Phoenix Park

I wasn't sure how much I'd have in the legs, after yesterday's tough session which was exacerbated by having to run out and back. Being in college on Saturday afternoon meant I missed Liverpool's glorious victory over the bitters. Having said that, I minded myself better afterwards, no alcohol while watching MOTD later :eek:

I made it to Castleknock Gate for 8 AM, and about ten of us headed off down Chesterfield along the "usual" 5 mile route. Three of the lads went ahead, while the rest of us trundled along at about 8:15 for the first mile. Suited me just fine! Our pace didn't really deviate too much, although I started feeling a bit sorry for myself as we turned back onto Chesterfield. I fell off the back of the group as a result, but managed to regain contact shortly before the end.

I was in two minds about going again with the 8:45 group on the trails, but eventually decided I'd (sort of) tag along. I made no serious attempt to stay in contact with anyone; I just didn't have the energy. By the time we'd looped around the OS grounds, over to Knockmaroon Gate and through the Furry Glen, I could only see two of the 15 or so that started. They in turn reached the top of the hill around the back of the Cheshire Home before I'd even started the climb, and I didn't see them again. Having said that, I did keep going, along the path that runs along the back of the 15 Acres pitches to the Magazine Fort, and over towards Chesterfield before heading back to the start. Thankfully, one of our leading ladies caught up to me along Chesterfield (having left the main group at some stage) so I had some company to help me on my way up to the car.

About 12/13 miles for this morning, bringing it towards 30 for the week. My highest weekly mileage this year, and a significant enough jump from anything I've done lately. I'll have to manage this a bit better, once I (hopefully) start getting back in the groove come May. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

YNWA. Nuff said.

Mon 3/4 - Rest

Tue 4/4 - Rest

Last college lecture of the semester this evening. More and more runmuters en route, with the longer evenings and generally more favourable weather conditions.

Wed 5/4 - Club session, Morton Stadium

A few of us arrived early for this, so we decided to head out of the stadium and into the park behind it (Ososlo Park?) for a little tip around in the meantime. One or two hills, but not that bad.

As for the session itself, as most of us are lining up in the GIR, the coach decided to shorten it slightly. This time it would be (800/400)*3. We had the option of just doing the two of each, but I wanted to do the lot.

I was feeling strong in the first 800 (3:06), and amazed myself by keeping the lap times the same for both. I have an annoying tendency to go way too fast on the first lap, with the result being that my second lap times fall off the cliff. First 400, 1:26. Not bad, feeling the love so far. Second 800 I start to feel my hamstring getting tight going down the back straight on the first lap, but finish it out in 3:08 (6 second differential in lap times). After running the second 400 in 1:27, I decided, following a chat with the coach, that I wouldn't run the last pair. A wise move, as I was still feeling it during our cooldown laps.

Still a bit sore, so I've decided to just rest up between now and Sunday. However, I'll be volunteering on Saturday, as the BHAA roadshow visits St. Anne's Park for the 2 mile/4 mile races. Might see some of you there and/or on Sunday. Thanks for reading.
    J.

Sat 8/4 - BHAA Dublin City Council Races, St. Anne's Park

I got down nice and early for my volunteering stint, and after doing some setup work inside, got out onto the avenue. Separately, I bumped into The Muppet and Murph_D and had a bit of a chat; both in good form and looking relaxed. Beautiful weather for it indeed, far too good to be inside!

For the races themselves (ladies 2 miles, men 4 miles), I was marshalling at the corner nearest the Red Stables. St. Anne's was a hive of activity with the fine conditions. Apart from our races, the GAA U-14 football Féile was taking place. Luckily enough, I had a nice crowd passing through my corner. What was noticeable, particularly on the second lap for the men, was how warm it had got, following a cold start to the day. A lot of lads were struggling to cope, and I couldn't help thinking I might be in similar difficulty tomorrow if I don't mind myself.

I had a chat with Bungy Girl in the hall afterwards; she had cleverly kept her participation a secret in advance! She also won a prize in the quiz afterwards :) although I wasn't able to claim any for myself. The joys of being staff :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm back home now and in one piece. Reason I mention this, is that one of our other marshals (similar running standard to me) twisted his ankle while chasing a dog/child that had escaped from its owner/parent(s).

And so it's on to the Great Ireland Run. I'm due away at 11:20 in the orange wave, so it'll be after 12 by the time I finish. Plenty of water and suncream! Bye for now.
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great to see you earlier and the very best of luck tomorrow. If it's any consolation I don't think it's due to be as hot. I hope that poor marshal recovers quickly, that's very unfortunate. The volunteers had a tough job today with the park being so busy and so many dogs off the lead.

Good luck tomorrow J you will be finished by 12:02!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice catching up with you this morning . The best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Haha yeah that was Ososlo Park alright ;) hope you enjoyed running there! I try to keep it nice!

All the best for tomorrow!!! Give it socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow WW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoyed the chat today, J, good luck in the GIR.

Advertisement