Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff J good to see you back....also well done on the new job! You would also make a great mentor for the Novices this year!

Look after yourself after the ARC run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks A, I'm not sure that's the reason though? I've done back to backs, including 5k/10k, on numerous occasions, and at harder effort than this combo. Last year, over Easter weekend, I ran a hungover parkrun in 21:42, and then on the Monday I set a new 10 mile PB in the Brian Boru. Couple of other things spring to mind regarding today.

(1) Not enough water this morning or in the day(s) previous.
    (2) No cap - even by Irish standards, I have a shocking inability to run in anything approaching warm weather.
    (3) Even had (1) and (2) above been in order, I definitely ran this one harder than I had planned beforehand. I look desperate in the photos.

Overall, (another) one to learn the lessons from!

How are you feeling now J? Interesting observations, might be worth keeping a spare cap in the boot.. Any chance you were coming down with something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great stuff J good to see you back....also well done on the new job! You would also make a great mentor for the Novices this year!

Look after yourself after the ARC run!

Thanks C, nice to be back! Been very quiet yourself of late?
    How are you feeling now J? Interesting observations, might be worth keeping a spare cap in the boot.. Any chance you were coming down with something?

Not 100% at all today, very weak and struggled through work (although it being my first day in there in a month might have had something to with it). You're probably right on the last bit, the recovery run got knocked on the head, and I might amend or abandon tomorrow's session too. Legs are fine, not a trace of DOMS or hamstring tightness.

Thanks C, nice to be back! Been very quiet yourself of late?

Had a bit of a mad ten days but back out this evening....will get this week out the way and then update the training log!

Tue 2/5 - Rest

Have been struggling with some bug or other since (during?) the ARC. No chance of a recovery run, even though the legs feel grand; certainly don't feel like they were under excess pressure on Monday.

Wed 3/5 - Rest

Similar to above. Still not 100% so won't even be doing my own thing later, let alone travelling to Santry for the club activity.

However, as The Black Oil (and others?) correctly deduced, I have agreed to be the DCM 2017 Novices Mentor :D

Hopefully I can do justice to this role, following in the online (and actual) footsteps of many esteemed former mentors. I'll put together a thread starter this weekend, once I have a little more space and time. Looking forward to it!
    J.

• Advertisement

However, as The Black Oil (and others?) correctly deduced, I have agreed to be the DCM 2017 Novices Mentor :D

Hopefully I can do justice to this role, following in the online (and actual) footsteps of many esteemed former mentors. I'll put together a thread starter this weekend, once I have a little more space and time. Looking forward to it!
    J.

Hurray! You'll certainly do it justice, the mentees are in excellent hands and the very best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck with mentor role J, I am sure you will do a fine job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

An excellent choice for this year's mentor. Best of luck with it!

A brilliant choice.....I plan to pop in and out of the thread so just let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

J.

There is absolutely loads of good information in the previous year's threads posted by other mentors. Steal shamelessly!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

J.

Ah, that's fantastic! Brilliant choice and I know you'll really enjoy it! It's so much fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

+1 to all the "great choice" comments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Congrats on the new role, great choice of mentor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, J, great choice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Can't wait for this year's Novice plan featuring two races a week all summer :D

I think you'll do great, agreed with all the well wishes!

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

Once I get the Novices thread up and running, my plan is to concentrate more on that one, so updates here will be less frequent and/or less detailed.
    Singer wrote: »
    Can't wait for this year's Novice plan featuring two races a week all summer :D

I think you'll do great, agreed with all the well wishes!

:D Thanks B, that'll be filed under "Do As I Say Not As I Do" :D

I think I'll keep tales of those exploits to here, and hope none of this year's class find them ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nice one! You'll have those novices in good shape in no time.

Look, he's starting the stuff in quote marks already. Poor novices. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Great news J, the novices are in good hands. I'll be following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good stuff, good to see the newbies will be in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Congratulations, J! No better man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

The absolute very best of luck J. Plenty of energy, enthusiasm and experience to bring a group to their destiny on Bank Holiday Monday. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great news j . The novices are in good hands.

Thu 4/5 - Three very slow laps of Porterstown. Legs felt heavy, body felt sluggish.

Fri 5/5 - Rest

Sat 6/5 - BHAA RTÉ 5 Mile - Shouldn't Have Got Off At Sydney Parade

Following a nice feed of pints in town for my FBIL's stag night, I just about managed to scramble out of bed and grab the train to travel to my running Plan A for today. I questioned my wisdom more than once, particularly after I got off the Dort and headed along Nutley Lane to register on the RTÉ campus. There were free souvenir mugs to mark the 40th anniversary of the first running of this race. We would soon find out who the real mug was.

As for the race itself, I'll be brief, as it was a box ticking exercise, nothing more. I deliberately started at the very back, and didn't make a massive amount of progress through the field. I wanted to duck back into the changing rooms at the end of the first lap of four, and on the second lap I thought I was going to get sick. Well I managed to finish it out anyway.

38:05, if anyone's wondering.

Yes, it was that bad. Although there was a silver lining later when it transpired that we won two team prizes, so I got my entry fee back :)

As for the Novices thread...Manana, manana, as they say in Nerja :D laters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I hope you demanded a big fee for being the new mentor :pac:

Good luck with it and ENJOY!!!!

Nice one! You'll have those novices in good shape in no time.

Look, he's starting the stuff in quote marks already. Poor novices. :pac:
    kin9pin wrote: »
    Great news J, the novices are in good hands. I'll be following with interest.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Good stuff, good to see the newbies will be in good hands.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Congratulations, J! No better man for the job.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Great news j . The novices are in good hands.
    annapr wrote: »
    I hope you demanded a big fee for being the new mentor :pac:

Good luck with it and ENJOY!!!!

Thanks again all, really appreciated!

Sun 7/5 - Club run, Phoenix Park

First time getting out for this in over a month. Trail special which split into two groups early enough, and then going by the Furry Glen myself and PK left the second group temporarily to go down this particularly steep hill and immediately back up another. We met the others again at the top, but I never really recovered. I hung on till we passed the back of the Cheshire Home, and a solo 4/5 miles ensued as it got ever warmer and the dots in the distance got ever smaller. First sign of summer; all the white bellies are out :rolleyes:

Shuffling along the side of Chesterfield Avenue, and who do I see warming up in the middle of the road, but Murph_D preparing to smash the sub-6 barrier (and keep the Russian invasion at bay!) I was fairly wiped by the time I got back to Castleknock Gate, but still glad I got out. 27/28 miles for the week.

And the DCM 2017 Novices Thread is away!

Interestingly enough, one of the lads on the club run informed me that I'm in this photo. It's probably been there a while, but to find out today of all days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Interestingly enough, one of the lads on the club run informed me that I'm in this photo. It's probably been there a while, but to find out today of all days :D

It's a sign! You're looking fairly happy there all right. Although not as happy as yer man closest to the camera. I wonder was he that enthusiastic at 26 miles :D ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    It's a sign! You're looking fairly happy there all right. Although not as happy as yer man closest to the camera. I wonder was he that enthusiastic at 26 miles :D ?

Thanks G, first night's work done! That photo was taken in Kilmainham, I'm 99.99% sure (11.5 miles or so) David was still chuffed with himself at 26(.2) miles....he finished just ahead of or just behind me. I can't remember exactly, but he was definitely in the Asics clip of me crossing the line.

Mon 8/5 - "Rest"

No running, but the meadows that were the front and back gardens got cut down to size. The Novices thread saw a fair bit of action too.

Tue 9/5

Three slow enough loops around Carpenterstown/Riverwood. On the first loop, a really annoying teenager (with two dimwit pals) decided he'd cycle alongside me looking for a reaction. This went on most of the way from the roundabout near the new bridge to the Montessori at the bottom of Luttrellstown. Still, I resisted the temptation to knock him flying off his bike ease him gently out of my way, looked straight ahead, said nothing, and eventually the little saps cleared off. Me 1, dopey teenagers 0 :D

• Advertisement

I admire your self control!!!!!

Advertisement