Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks AM, I'm not always as cranky as I might seem from reading the logs or in real life ðŸ˜

Wed 10/5 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Long story short, I only got home about 10 minutes before this was due to start, so after a rapid fire change of clothes I jogged up, without even a water bottle as there was none in the house.

Well, it was my first time in over a month doing this session, and it felt every bit that way. 3x400 + 800 + 400 with 90 second recoveries. Stuffed.

A relatively large club contingent are racing the 6k in Navan tomorrow. Tempting and all as a nearly guaranteed PB seems (XC PB is 27:03), I have to decline this time!

Life got in the way of updating the Novices thread. Back on track tonight.

Speaking of marathons, most of the regular readers here will know I'm planning to run DCM again this year. The Boards plan for Novices was good to me last year, with a nearly half hour PB compared to Paris 2014. It would have been more, were it not for injury and illness.

However, this time around I'm looking for something a bit more substantial, with weekly highs of 50-55 mpw; this is what I need to be aiming for to go sub 3:30.

So the questions I'm putting to the floor are:-
    Can you recommend a successful marathon training plan suitable for a third time marathoner as slow as I am? What worked well for you, and why? Thanks in advance!
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/0736074600

Used the plan in here ( <55 mpw) for my second marathon, 3:29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck with the Novices Thread. I hope you realise that you will be dreaming about it in a few months. It takes on a life of its own, but in a good way and you will be a great Mentor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

RayCun wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/0736074600

+1 for that plan. I used to 18 week up to 55 mpw last year for Dublin and thought it was great. I'll be using one of the plans from the book again this year. I recommend buying the book as it has lots of info on how to run the session, pacing etc.

• Advertisement

+1 for that plan. I used to 18 week up to 55 mpw last year for Dublin and thought it was great. I'll be using one of the plans from the book again this year. I recommend buying the book as it has lots of info on how to run the session, pacing etc.

Thanks a million guys! I'll seriously look into that one. Two quick endorsements (including a superfast one from Ray) is very encouraging.

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck with the Novices Thread. I hope you realise that you will be dreaming about it in a few months. It takes on a life of its own, but in a good way and you will be a great Mentor.

Thanks A, so far so good, lots involved but enjoying it :)

Thu 11/5 - 5 miles approx. in 44 minutes

Not a particularly fast one tonight. Probably a good thing, as this was the first time since the end of February that I managed three consecutive days of running. I had to thumb back through the pages of this log to find that out!

This was the loop I ran in my very first run after moving here. Out along the Diswellstown Road, over the new bridge towards Clonsilla, before turning right at Power City and following the Snugborough Road to the top of Blanch village. Right and right again along Clonsilla Road, left to pass the Roselawn shops, right onto Delwood Road, then left across the railway line and down around the outside of Tír na nÓg and a leisurely finish.

Just glad to get it done in the end. I didn't look at the watch once; at this stage I'm only trying to build mileage up towards something respectable, before I can kick off the next marathon cycle with some confidence that I can actually make it work. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks a million guys! I'll seriously look into that one. Two quick endorsements (including a superfast one from Ray) is very encouraging.

Krusty used it for his marathon training too, back when he was mortal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

I used the 12 week up to 55mpw plan for both my marathons and I will probably go with the 18 week plan this year. I highly recommend the plan but it is tough and you would need a good base before starting.

• Advertisement

jake1970 wrote: »
    I used the 12 week up to 55mpw plan for both my marathons and I will probably go with the 18 week plan this year. I highly recommend the plan but it is tough and you would need a good base before starting.

It's sneaky tough though - the first 2 or 3 weeks are handy enough, but it builds fairly quickly and kind of catches you by surprise. Some of this LT session are tough especially the 7 miler. For me I think the some of the most important session were the midweek medium long runs - especially those on the Friday before Sundays long run. I found these great for building endurance. And run your recovery runs at recovery pace!!! I followed the 18 week plan for DCM 2016 and I'm going to follow the 12 week plan (sort of) for 2017. Have a real of my log if you want - it's all in there - the good, the bad and the ugly!!

Fri 12/5 - Rest

The club had a great night at the Navan 6k, with first lady, first team, and some category prizes too. Raging I wasn't there. Although even if I had signed up, as it turned out I wouldn't have been able to go anyway, due to life getting in the way.

Sat 13/5 - Porterstown parkrun

I weighed myself this morning, and discovered to my horror that I'm well over a stone heavier than I was for DCM. Back to my home parkrun after a month's absence. I wish I could say my clubmates' exploits inspired me today.

Sadly not so. Even though I wasn't going particularly fast, I deliberately slowed down before the end of the first km as my breathing (and pretty much everything else) was all over the shop. Two clubmates running on the grass tried to get me out of my slumber, to no avail. I just couldn't get out of first gear. I was reminded of that horrible choking noise when you don't get the gear change right in a car. 22:19 for 10th place, a full minute slower than my time in St Anne's two weeks ago. Awful.

Sun 14/5 - Rest (unplanned)

I am a patient boy,
    I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait

Self inflicted. Again. A late finish to poker night meant that there was no hope of making it to even the latest (8:45) of the club runs. And as the morning progressed, I wouldn't get out at all, as my head was still pounding, and we were going to the afters of a christening in the afternoon. More food and drink involved, although this was a much more sedate affair :D

It's been nearly three weeks since I finished my exams, yet I feel like my progress since has been pretty much negligible. Next week, the BHAA beach race takes place on Tuesday evening on Sandymount strand. I'm thinking I might as well give it a bash and see what happens. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Another +1. Superb book. Well structured with a lot of background that will be no loss for the Novice Thread as well. Having said that your own experiences are even more valuable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Back to my home parkrun after a month's absence. I wish I could say my clubmates' exploits inspired me today.

Sadly not so. Even though I wasn't going particularly fast, I deliberately slowed down before the end of the first km as my breathing (and pretty much everything else) was all over the shop. Awful.
    Next week, the BHAA beach race takes place on Tuesday evening on Sandymount strand. I'm thinking I might as well give it a bash and see what happens.
    J.

Maybe approach these Parkruns with a different emphasis. Dont see them as races - 'cos until you get fitter and faster, you'll continue to be disappointed.

Maybe for the parkruns, try a mixed approach.

PR1: Run the 1st lap at HM/ 2nd at 10k / 3rd at 5k
    PR2: Run 5 miles before hand and do the PR at tempo pace.
    PR3: Do alternate 800m fast/slow.

etc etc - rather than doing the same thing each week and expecting a different result, take ownership for it as a session and look to improve on elements of fitness.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Maybe approach these Parkruns with a different emphasis. Dont see them as races - 'cos until you get fitter and faster, you'll continue to be disappointed.

Maybe for the parkruns, try a mixed approach.

PR1: Run the 1st lap at HM/ 2nd at 10k / 3rd at 5k
    PR2: Run 5 miles before hand and do the PR at tempo pace.
    PR3: Do alternate 800m fast/slow.

etc etc - rather than doing the same thing each week and expecting a different result, take ownership for it as a session and look to improve on elements of fitness.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers A; Saturday was just "one" of those days where I wasn't feeling the love. The original plan was for a spot of parkrun tourism (car wasn't available) Strategy PR1 in particular looks like a good one to try for the next Porterstown PR. None of the others on my list are three lap affairs, but all strategies could still be employed. I don't intend to go close to full tilt at any of those, except maybe one depending on how fit I am when I get there ;)

To bring things up to date, following a crazy couple of days in work (with maybe more to follow) which has significantly reduced my time available to contribute here.

Mon 15/5 - Rest

Tue 16/5 - BHAA ESB Beach Race 5k, Sandymount

Pre Race

10 days on from a horror of a race in RTÉ, it was time for me to return to D4. A leisurely stroll from work brought me to the Clanna Gael/Fontenoy GAA Club for registration and changing before I headed for the beach.

Even with a 7:30 start, it was still very warm with the sun out. I headed for an out and back 2.5k warmup finding the shade as best I could, and resisting the temptation to go too quickly. A few easy stretches later, a couple of work colleagues (both of whom run with the Cru) arrived; a slower paced trot halfway out ensued, while Marthastew joined us on our way back in. I felt very comfortable through all of this, without any expectations of a strong run or a fast time.

First Half

The race consists of two runs out to a point some 1.25k southeast of the start along Sandymount strand and back in. I started around mid division, and after a tiny bit of congestion at the start, the field started to string out along the beach. It was tricky to get a decent pace up, as most of the sand was heavily ridged, and the more level sand seemed a bit heavier. Plus the wind was against us on the way out. Even so, I got a nice rhythm going, and although (as I expected) my workmate gradually pulled clear, I was making up plenty of places. The turn at the far end was fairly sharp, but I got a nice kick away from it, and caught one of the yellow top JDES lads and Nuala Reilly shortly afterwards. Keep going, plenty of room to improve! The wind was really strange. On the way back in, apart from just after that turn, it seemed to be either crossways or against you. Or maybe it was just me working a bit harder. I didn't look at my watch (or the official clock) as we turned around by the van; I was just concentrating on my breathing and form.

Second Half

A few more runners were coming back to me on the way back out, and again it was a case of straight past (no talking!) and onto the next. At half way I had got clear of a group, and it took a few minutes before I caught the next fella, a permatanned lad who was slowing up rapidly. Sharp turn in the wet sand again, and I'm coming back in.

There's a lad (Brian?) behind me getting a lot of shouts from a gang of girls who were jogging along the strand. How far was he behind me anyway? Never mind, there's more up ahead. I thought at one stage I might reel in Paddy P, who was about 50-60 metres ahead with a km to go, but a fella with a SA rugby top on him was the next guy I pulled in. With 500 to go, I'm feeling the weight of struggling through warm weather/wind/tricky sandy surfaces. Same for the rest of us though! Even so, I was making ground on a large group ahead, with another of the JDES boys at the back, and I was thinking I might get one or two. With about 300 to go, the one guy (was this the aforementioned Brian?) to pass me apart from the first few metres moved by, and I couldn't hang on to him. Didn't catch JDES or Paddy P either. 22:20 or thereabouts as I crossed the line.

Analysis

Although I ran about the same time as last Saturday in Porterstown, I feel like I gained a lot more from this one. Certainly I worked far harder, and it definitely felt more beneficial than the alternative, which would have been a shuffle around D15. Having more targets to chase gave me more incentive to get the lead out, although I wasn't a scorer tonight. It's not an easy race to run, and my spirits were improved on talking to the 3rd placer who had measured it 100m long.

Next

Officially my next "race" is the IKA Run For A Life on Saturday (probably the 10k). However, I'm intending to just relax and enjoy that one. Maybe, if the mood takes me, I'll turn it into some kind of progression run. After that, it's a return to Trinners for the track races in mid June. In the meantime, I have to try and get myself to a point where I don't feel like I'm going to be wasting my time and money investing in Pfitzinger. Thanks for reading!
    J.

Wed 17/5 - Club(s) session, Morton Stadium

As I came in off the M1 to turn right onto the Old Airport Road, I saw Mick Clohisey striding alongside the road. I just assumed he was out for a training run on his own. Little did I realise how busy it would be once I parked up.

A few of the lads, myself included, joined up with our National Senior Champion ladies, for a run through Ososlo Park before the session proper. On our way out, I saw HelenAnne from around these parts and gave her a shout.

I'm not sure how regularly it happens, but it was a bit nuts at times with Raheny training as well as us. We were based at the Clonliffe corner as usual, and another club group were in the opposite corner. You'd hear enough shouts of "TRACK!" with just our own, but this time we had to be really watchful, as Clohisey led the Hooper Troopers on one set of Raheny speed sessions, while they had another group which included HA. I think they were doing 300s?

Our own session was 800/800/400/800/800/400. Recoveries were anything from 75/80 secs to nearer two minutes, depending on when it was safe to go again! I was very apprehensive about these beforehand, especially with Tuesday's race in the legs. However, I was very happy with 3:06 for the first 800 and 3:10ish for the next two; the last was a tired 3:15. 1:27 & 1:26 for the 400s. Overall, pretty good going for me all things considered.

Thu 18/5 - Nice handy one this evening. I decided to try a new route of sorts in the beautiful weather. From the house to White's Gate, following the trail across to Castleknock Gate. Onto Castleknock Road, which I think I was running along for the first time since DCM 2016. Great memories!

I didn't follow the DCM course for long though, as instead of turning left at Myo's, I continued on over the M50, and then left through Laurel Lodge and Carpenterstown to finish off. I kept the pace fairly gentle throughout. Not sure how far that is, maybe 6 miles? Anyway, I enjoyed it and I'm building up the mileage again.

I did hit the foam roller after I got home though. Funny how it hurts so much more when you haven't used it in a while :D although that's something I'll have to continue to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That track setup sounds a bit scary!

How fast are your 800s and 400s supposed to be? Any guidance from the club brass?

Murph_D wrote: »
    That track setup sounds a bit scary!

How fast are your 800s and 400s supposed to be? Any guidance from the club brass?

Sure was. My first time being there sharing with another club. Did I mention there were sprinters from both clubs in attendance as well?

I definitely lost time on some of those runs, with all the bobbing and weaving between lanes. Roughly summarised, we do them at a comfortably hard pace with consistency being the main aim. I need to be doing them more regularly to get closer to 3:00 for these runs. Yet I can do 10:40/10:39 splits in St Anne's, having never run the course before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I only ask because a good few people in my club seem to do their repeats too fast, based on their race performances. You're pretty close to me at most distances, and 3:12 is the pace I'd generally be looking at (slower again with Hansen HM plan, at 3:15).

• Advertisement

Fri 19/5 - Rest

Sat 20/5 - IKA Run For A Life 10k, Corkagh Park

Pre Race

This was my first ever 10k, and the first race I "trained for", way way back in 2012. In those days, these races were in Parkwest. Nowadays, they're on a much nicer course in the Corkagh Demesne in Clondalkin. Since then, the IKA were the beneficiaries of my Paris Marathon efforts in 2014, while I make a bigger attempt than normal to get to this event every year.

I arrived fairly early to a quick and easy registration; most had pre registered. There were also 2.5k and 5k options available, but this time I chose the longest one, with the aim to treat it as a progression run. It lashed rain beforehand, but I got back out in it for a few strides after my warmup lap. The Raheny running warrior that is Dave Brady was there, so I had a chat with him before I set off. It being a charity fun run, the majority of participants were walkers, with lots of kids (there was a family rate), buggies and dogs in attendance.

Lap 1

I took it really slowly on the first of my four laps. There was a very exposed draggy section for about 400m shortly after the start of the lap, and then a bit of downhill before a steep hill about two thirds of the way through the lap. I kept it nice and easy, keeping the same effort up the hill and passing loads, not that it was a big deal. With about 300m to go, I caught up to a kid wearing a Transplant Team Ireland top and said to him "Great running, well done!" "Thanks" he replied, and then he took off. Could have been embarrassing if I was trying to race him! He got under 12 minutes, to be first of the one lappers across the line, with plenty of people, myself included, cheering him home.

Laps 2 & 3

These were fairly similar I suppose, with me sticking to the plan of trying to go a bit faster than the lap before, making up a place here and a place there while navigating my way through lapped runners and walkers. Fairly comfortable throughout, although the hill required a bit more work on the third lap. I got lapped by the 10k winner (a lad wearing a Russia top?!) near the end of this circuit, as I trundled through three laps in over 35 minutes.

Lap 4

Ok sure might as well try take it up another notch for the last one. Passed a girl before we got to the end of the drag into the wind, then as we passed the baseball pitch, I caught a fella who had headphones on and was looking everywhere behind him except where I was ;) He tried surging to stay with me a few times, but I kept it steady and he fell away after a minute or two. Passing the pet farm, I came up to a guy in a black top, who took a chunk off the corner as we turned for the hill. Interesting. Last time up the hill, and I had to push a bit more, and then practically stopped at the top as I reached a line of walkers. I got around them, and then went down the hill and passed black top. At the bottom of the hill, there's a 90 degree corner, before you go back into the forest for the last 500 metres. I noticed black top taking 15-20 metres off it, and that was it for me. I didn't say anything back, but I would make it my business to stay ahead of this fella. Out of the corner of my beady eye, I saw him taking another lump off the long left hander, and I decided I would push from there to the line.

I just couldn't get the logic. I did have to go off path a few times to pass walking convoys, as did quite a few others I noticed, but this was far different. We were somewhere in the middle of the field, nobody cared! Was I really that big a scalp? No! Not today, and not any time in the foreseeable.

Surge and surge and surge and surge and surge. Not long left. The organiser's standing on the corner before we turn into the finish. Sharp right, but there's the gantry right in front of me. Can't see black top. All the way. Might as well now, just a few seconds left. BOOM! I win :)

14th place in a time of 46:23, which is actually a lot faster than I thought I would run this. I was looking at 47 or 48. Happy with that.

Sun 21/5 - Club run, Phoenix Park

This was at a pace which varied from 7:45-8:00 minute miles as we rambled across the trails. Even so, due to two races in a week/relatively high mileage/general tiredness/mania brought on by patching/all of the above, from about two miles in I was hanging on to the back. The original plan was to do a full 10 miler. However, I'd lost about 20 seconds on the group as we reached the Magazine Fort. They were kind enough to wait for me there, but by the time we reached the Papal Cross, I was falling off again, so I pulled the plug and headed for Castleknock Gate. About 5.5 miles for this morning, 30ish for the week.

Next week will be a step back week, and then I've 3-4 weeks to make a decision on whether the 18 week Pfitzinger plan is going to be a runner. Thanks for reading.
    J.

Well raced and well done!! Go for the P+D plan. Just make sure to run the recovery runs at recovery pace and you'll be laughing. There's plenty on here who have done them so there'll be no shortage of guidance. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Is Fearr An Iarthar 2017 - Cuid A Haon

"The West is the best.
    The West is the best.
    Get here, and we'll do the rest."

Following the previous Sunday's club run, I took a few days break from running, knowing I had the hills of the beautiful island of Inishbofin to contend with :eek:

Thu 25/5 - 6 miles approx.

We were here for my SIL's wedding, and arrived in plenty of time for the ferry across from Cleggan. I had the bonus of some running company, in the form of a considerably faster clubmate, who happens to be one of SIL's VBFs.

On the hottest day of the year so far, in the afternoon I ran the mile plus from my accommodation to hers, and we then went on a 6k loop together. This loop has a lot of ups and downs, but thankfully we ran closer to my pace, and there were also a few stops for photos, bumping into friends etc. Couldn't have gone much better really. 30-35 minutes after we set off, got a few easy stretches done and then I ran at a slow pace back to my house.

Fri 26/5

Bit faster this time around. Clubmate met me about halfway, and we went in an anticlockwise direction this time, so the steeper climbs came earlier in our stint. Plenty of food and drink the night before, so I was occasionally struggling to manage the 5:00/km pace. I felt a lot better afterwards though, and a very enjoyable wedding followed :D

Sat 27/5

Rest

Sun 28/5

Barbecue and a lot more drink on Saturday, but I was up bright and early(ish) for what would be the first of two solo runs here. Considerably slower pace this time; it took me somewhere in the mid to high 30s to complete the 6k loop.

Mon 29/5

For my last run, I kept along what's known as the Low Road, and instead of turning up past the school or the community centre, ran to the Westquarter past Murrays, with a slight detour to stop at Lake Bofin and take a few photos. 5 miles approx. for this one, about 20 for my island trip in total. I love running there, and as I've mentioned more than once, the Inishbofin HM (held mid May) is very much on my list.

Tue 30/5

I picked the coldest day of the trip for a dip in the sea, having not done so on any of the other days here. Woke me up, that's for sure :eek:

Wed 31/5

Back home following the long drive east last night, I was originally planning some variation of 800s/400s on my own, as I won't get to the club session later. However, I was feeling a bit wiped after all the excitement of the last few days, so an alternative plan of sorts evolved.

I decided to ramble up to Porterstown Park and take it easyish around the "old" parkrun course. In spite of problems with the undercarriage (an old pair of shorts with the elastic gone in them) which required regular adjustments :rolleyes: I completed the first lap in 7:46. I thought it would be over 9 minutes to be honest, but I was happy enough at that pace, so I decided to pick up the pace for the next lap. 7:23 was the outcome, with the legs feeling great after their island exertions.

I had planned another lap, but I was getting more and more annoyed with the shorts, so cut the run short (see what I did there :D) and went home.

May Review

I think it's only now, that I'm starting to slowly build towards any kind of competitive level. Finding the right balance between training/racing/building mileage hasn't been easy. However, a few days running in one of my favourite places seems to be helping to bring the love back :)

Officially, I took part in four races this month. However, two of them were pretty much writeoffs - a badly hungover RTÉ 5 mile, and the ARC 10k which,
    unknown to myself beforehand, I ran through while carrying some sort of bug. It could have turned out a lot worse, mind you!

The beach race was so-so; while reasonably happy with how I ran on the night, there were still a fair few people ahead of me who I'll be training my guns on once my fitness improves. The IKA run worked out well, from the point of view of treating it as a session.

This month: 4 races, 1 parkrun.
    This year: 13 races, 8 parkruns.

Next up are the BHAA Trinity track races in two weeks time, with the Castleknock 5k to follow that weekend. Still undecided on marathon plans though; yes, I'm going to run DCM, but will I be in the proper shape to have a realistic chance of achieving what I want? Thanks for reading.
    J.

Thu 1/6 - Session, Porterstown Park

As mentioned previously, I decided to swap my attempt at a session around from Wednesday due to post holiday tiredness. However, instead of 400s & 800s, I decided to try a session which we did a few times last summer and which I thought would be easier to manage. Due to GAA, Trinity track races and holidays, I'll be missing the Wednesday sessions for the next 5 or 6 weeks, so it's good to get into the habit of doing these without waiting for clubmates and/or coach to push me.

I started off with an easy shuffle up to the park and all the way around the circumference of the four fields. Met John Coghlan as I was approaching the end of this lap; he was meeting a friend and neighbour of mine for a few easy (for them :)) miles. Few stretches beside the portacabin, and then it was time to start.

Up and down "the hedges" 8 times without a break. For those who don't know Porterstown, this is a 250m or so stretch in the middle of the park with a "gentle incline". Recover on the downhill, while you push fairly hard on the upslope. I hadn't tried this session before this year, and never on my own, so the last couple were tough going. That said, I gave it a good blast on the last one, so happy with my efforts. 4 3/4 laps around the grass track, and then out towards home.

Fri 2/6 - Rest

Sat 3/6 - "Hill run", Co. Wicklow - You Gave Me A Mountain

The club have a few of these get togethers every spring and summer, but this was my first. Up bright and early to head to the coach's house for the trip to Crone Forest car park to "run" up Djouce mountain.

8 of us headed up along the road, but very soon we turned left up this really steep trail, and already my legs are burning and I can feel my heart and lungs as well. I never ran up anything this steep before! Two sections of this, then a half mile or so drag along the road and then through to another trail above Powerscourt waterfall. From there a steep drop where we could see the leaders making their way up the slope. Across a footbridge, and then a climb up to the left, before we take the trail to the right and into the wind for the last drag to the top. And how tough was it?! I was barely keeping one foot in front of the other, and then my guide says "That's the hardest 5k you'll ever run".

At this stage, we were still a fair way from the top. Normally when you're at a height, they say "Don't look down". Here, the reverse applies i.e. Don't look up! Unfortunately, I did, on numerous occasions. The trick is to keep an eye on what's in front of you. The last 100m+ felt almost vertical, and it's very rocky too, so I walked for a lot of it, having taken one or two walk breaks a few minutes before. Finally, an hour after we started! I made it to the top. We had gone by the toughest route for the ascent; a baptism of mountain running fire!

I loved the descent. We didn't go back down the rocky part, instead taking the more gradual (but still very fast) descent on the other side, until we reached the railway sleepers and turned left running on the sleepers. This brought us back to the route we ascended. For most of the way back, we followed the road down. This was something I really enjoyed, as it widens out in sections and you can really let rip there. Eventually reached the bottom, very tired but happy! That was worth about 5 parkruns.

Was it the hardest running related thing I've done in a long time? Yes.
    Would I do it again? Yes! Having said that, I was glad of a lift home from AMK, which saved me having to run an additional 2 miles or thereabouts from the coach's house.

Later I managed to peel my body from the couch and make the trip to Portlaoise to watch the Dubs see off Carlow. Non running related mini rant: The amount of people driving in the outside overtaking lane on the way down was far greater than in the left hand lane. Really grinds my gears :mad:

Sun 4/6 - Club run, Phoenix Park

I just about made it for the 8:45 start. Legs didn't feel too bad beforehand, but still I was glad to have company at the back, in the form of our Edinburgh Marathon man from last week, and three ladies. 4:50-5:00km pace was more than enough for me, and as the marathon man eased off a bit at the Magazine Fort, I went on the front, and decided to push the pace for the last 200 up to Castleknock Gate. Overall, a lot better than I thought it would go. About 5 considerably less hilly miles this morning. Thanks for reading! J.

Mon 5/6

Planned rest day, after a very late Sunday which involved hosting a poker night, but it didn't 100% turn out that way. My GAA club were having their Centenary BBQ and sports day. Adults had races over 50m and 100m, and most of the lads were taking part for the craic, so I decided I might as well jump in :D A couple of half pace runs ensued, for the customary middle of the pack placings :) and besides, that good work was swiftly undone in the bar afterwards ;)

Tue 6/6 - Rest

I'd intended to go out, but I just felt so tired after mountain running/poker/eating/drinking etc over the long weekend, that it could have been counterproductive.

Wed 7/6

Finally dragged myself out after I got home from work. I nearly didn't go this evening either. On a very wet night, I wasn't in the mood for two drenchings in the one day. I had a GAA match later, so there wasn't much of a window of time to do this. Two laps of the Carpenterstown/Riverwood/Luttrellstown loop ensued. Just under 31 minutes taken to get it done :rolleyes: but at least we won the hurling afterwards :D

Thu 8/6 - Rest

Not the original plan, but I decided to swap rest days around. Maybe not the worst decision I've ever made, especially considering the monsoons which hit D15 later.

Fri 9/6 - 4ish miles in 34:10

Today was my last day in my current job (moving to another office, as opposed to changing employers). To mark the "occasion" there were lots of sweets, and beautiful doughnuts, in the office. So how do you think I got on?
    :rolleyes:

Having a tonne (not literally!) of extra sugar in my system wasn't great for this evening, but I thought I made a reasonable fist of it. Up to the old reliable Porterstown Park, for a mini progression run. Surprisingly it wasn't too busy, which helped a great deal. Times for each one mile lap were (in order) 8:24, 8:08, 7:53. Job done :)

Sat 10/6 - Club session, Phoenix Park

Few socials in the local last night, and then a run home in the lashing rain, wasn't ideal for this morning. Similar to the session beside the Papal Cross in April, but thankfully I had the car this time. From White's Gate we ran easy down Chesterfield, turning at the Phoenix and over to the large grassy area behind the cross.

The plan was four runs of 880m (approx.) from the start down to the Acres Road and back around the grass cutting to meet the coach on the other side.

There were ten of us this morning, so the coach split us into three groups, with the slower lads (all lads today) away first. Of course Muggins leads out towards the road, and a too fast 3:32 was the result. Straight away I'd an idea I would pay for that. The second and third were horrible. 3:46 (14 second differential :mad:) and 3:40 were the outcomes. That said, I gave it a good go on the last, with a more respectable 3:38 and the feeling that I'd pushed myself.

It was important for me to get a session like this in the bag, with next week's races in mind. A relaxed conversational run back to White's Gate followed, and then it was off to the Porterstown parkrun, to shadow today's RD as preparation for my Event Director debut next Saturday.

Sun 11/6 - Club run, Phoenix Park

I opted for an 8 o'clock start here. About 12 of us running at this time. The faster four went away down Chesterfield, while it was a much more manageable 5:00/km or so for the rest of us on our 5 mile loop. Even so, as happens regularly, it went very quiet on the way up the Khyber :D

With two race days on the horizon, as advised yesterday by the coach, I opted not to continue on with the 8:45 group. Trinity races on Wednesday, and the Castleknock 5k on Sunday, could either be (a) one of my best running weeks ever, or (b) show just how far away I am from my 2017 goals. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Advertisement

Wed 14/6 - BHAA Trinity Track races, Trinity College

After a mini-taper over the preceding couple of days, it was time to return to one of my favourite events from last year, on the lawns of Trinners. Had an easy walk down from work, with a coffee en route, and was one of the first to register. After an easy mile shuffle around the track, I went back inside, and there I met Murph_D and adrian522, who I reckoned judging by his recent times should have been in our races at least :pac:

I had another couple of slow laps and some strides while watching the earlier races, before our first one got under way.

800 Metres

Before we continue, I'll say that my plan for tonight was to win a race - I finished second in the 2000m last year. Don't all laugh at once. In a lineup of 15 or so, I started off on the outside, and a brief surge got me to fourth and in lane one. One of the JDES yellow top gang was at the front, but I moved by him going down the back straight. I was in the lead for a few fleeting seconds. Well that didn't last, as another lad, who I didn't recognise, went around the outside. I tried to follow. Like I said, I was coming here to win. Hanging on at half way though, as JDES and another lad passed me back, and I went through the bell in fourth.

Second lap was a horror show, as I continued to go backwards. D passed me about halfway down the back straight, and try as I might I had no answer. Same applied to another 5 or 6 (maybe more?) who got me in the last 200 metres. I crossed the line in a heap, with a time of 2:46.6 in my first ever 800m race. Don't know what the splits were, but I'd say I ran the first lap at least 10-15 seconds quicker :eek: 11th out of 15.

There was an hour scheduled difference between our races. While catching up with D and Adrian post race, I got to meet annapr for the first time. Great that she knew who I was, especially with non Boardsies in the company :D

2000 Metres

In the race immediately preceding our one, Adrian was very unlucky not to get the win, in what for my money was the race of the night.
    As for me, I was still feeling somewhat deflated after the 800, but decided to stay and finish it out. Most of the other runners from the first race had stayed behind too.

This time I played it more conservatively at the start, settling in mid division and following D as he passed the second group. Thanks to annapr for the support, and there was another female voice giving me shout outs here, who I now know was aquinn (sorry we didn't meet, maybe next time?) Next couple of laps were fairly similar. I just couldn't pick it up. D was briefly coming back to me, and I was thinking I might regain a modicum of respectability on here and at least finish ahead of him.
    However, on lap 4 even that fanciful notion was dispelled, as he pulled away slowly and I packed up. I got in a bit of a sprint at the end, but on checking the times, it only got worse. 8:00.1. Nine seconds slower than last year, finishing 11th of 14. Just summed up my night on the track. If I can't beat 8 minutes for 2k, what chance have I got of going sub-20 for 5k on Sunday, even if it's pacer assisted?
    Afterwards, I had some Jaffa cakes and sambos with coffee, followed by a quick pint for the train in the Pav after the prizegiving. Huge improvement required all round! Thanks for reading.
    J.

Advertisement