Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Section (Scheduled) Holles Street

Options
  • 16-11-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Hoping to get some experience stories from people who have gone through similar recently. My wife has a scheduled C-Section next week in Holles Street. I've found a good few threads on other forums about this, but most seem to be old enough. Can anyone share how it worked on the day for them? Do 5-10 women arrive around same time in the morning and you go in the order you arrive or what? (i.e. is it worth arriving extra early to hopefully be "done" first?)

I realise any emergencies will take priority which might delay your day, but we still just don't know what decides the order of events otherwise? We're still trying to get an exact time to arrive from the hospital, although we know it needs to be early, but I'm reading varying stories of births by 10:30 versus births not happening until late in the evening! With the expectant mothers all fasting completely since midnight this sounds like a high-stress environment! :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

g0g wrote: »
    Hoping to get some experience stories from people who have gone through similar recently. My wife has a scheduled C-Section next week in Holles Street. I've found a good few threads on other forums about this, but most seem to be old enough. Can anyone share how it worked on the day for them? Do 5-10 women arrive around same time in the morning and you go in the order you arrive or what? (i.e. is it worth arriving extra early to hopefully be "done" first?)

I realise any emergencies will take priority which might delay your day, but we still just don't know what decides the order of events otherwise? We're still trying to get an exact time to arrive from the hospital, although we know it needs to be early, but I'm reading varying stories of births by 10:30 versus births not happening until late in the evening! With the expectant mothers all fasting completely since midnight this sounds like a high-stress environment! :eek:

Depends if you are public or private.if you are private consultant will hv the theatre booked specially for you and barring any emergency you'll be done at the time you were told at the last checkup before the big day. If you are public.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Depends if you are public or private.if you are private consultant will hv the theatre booked specially for you and barring any emergency you'll be done at the time you were told at the last checkup before the big day. If you are public.......
    Public this time. First two were emergency sections so this one is scheduled. Went private first time and saw no major benefit so public second and this one. Surely there'll only be so many scheduled on a day?

Public this time. First two were emergency sections so this one is scheduled. Went private first time and saw no major benefit so public second and this one. Surely there'll only be so many scheduled on a day?

Depends on how many theatres. Had all ours in coombe 4 theatres so more of a spread. There cud b 20-30 born on a busy day and mayb 40% are c-sections and prob takes 3 hrs from prep room to post op .I'm surprised you've been scheduled for section on public, I assume its due to previous 2 sections.main thing to watch out for, public or private is been pressured to discharge before 5days. U know hw restrictive section can b and with two other young ones in house the relative peace of the hospital is important.good luck

judeboy101 wrote: »

Depends on how many theatres. Had all ours in coombe 4 theatres so more of a spread. There cud b 20-30 born on a busy day and mayb 40% are c-sections and prob takes 3 hrs from prep room to post op .I'm surprised you've been scheduled for section on public, I assume its due to previous 2 sections.main thing to watch out for, public or private is been pressured to discharge before 5days. U know hw restrictive section can b and with two other young ones in house the relative peace of the hospital is important.good luck
    Thanks for that! Wow, would never have guessed so high a % sections. Yeah has to be a section this time based on previous two. Last time 7 in a 6-bed ward so she couldn't get out of there quick enough after 3/4 nights! :) I'm just hoping we're not hanging around until the evening as need to plan for rest of family etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Discharge is now routinely 72hours after birth for a cesarean, all going well.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Discharge is now routinely 72hours after birth for a cesarean, all going well.

That's crazy considering its major surgery. I know some women might prefer the comfort of home but id like 5days b&b lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

All well and good if you have a private room but when you're stuck in a ward with between 6-9 other women and their babies it is torture. I couldn't wait to get home on either of my c sections.

Thanks all, really appreciate the replies. Will post here after the event re timings in case it's of any use to anyone in the future. If anyone else has info in the meantime please do add! :) I gather theatre(s) open around 08:00 for "business" anyway!

Advertisement