Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The alt right - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

beans wrote: »
    In fairness, the comparison immediately de-legitimises any points a group may have. It shuts down the conversation. That's why I don't like the 'Nazi' label... unless you're talking about the actual NSGWP.

No problem labelling them 'fascist'.
    I think I disagree. The whole idea of Godwin's law doesn't apply here IMO - there is an extreme parallel to the current rise of the alt-right to the rise of Nazi Germany. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it and all that...

I'd agree, there is no point in jumping to call people Nazis, but to ignore the stark comparisons is equally as if not more absurd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Trump's appointments seem good so far.

http://www.dailystormer.com/trump-filling-his-cabinet-with-military-men-and-jews-arent-happy/

Flynn's grandfather was from Fivemiletown, so we can claim him. I think people are holding fire, just enjoying the honeymoon period. He hasn't even taken office yet so there's not a lot to be on the defensive over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Trump's appointments seem good so far.

http://www.dailystormer.com/trump-filling-his-cabinet-with-military-men-and-jews-arent-happy/

Flynn's grandfather was from Fivemiletown, so we can claim him. I think people are holding fire, just enjoying the honeymoon period. He hasn't even taken office yet so there's not a lot to be on the defensive over.

You trust this website for anything ?

marienbad wrote: »
    You trust this website for anything ?

They got the election right. It's like a translator; in go the stories from liberal/PC perspective, out pops the truth.

They got the election right. It's like a translator; in go the stories from liberal/PC perspective, out pops the truth.

And they got the names of Trumps appointments right also , thats not saying much .

Are you actually a supporter of such a publication ?

• Advertisement

And they got the names of Trumps appointments right also , thats not saying much .

Are you actually a supporter of such a publication ?

I support free press, and it's refreshing to read certain stories from a different perspective, such as the BLM protests, the immigration crisis. Ireland even gets a mention every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Where's the discomfort? I follow a lot of the alt-right news and podcasts and they seem quite happy with Trump. The election is done and dusted. The only people I've seen still discussing it are the 'popular vote' moaners and Jill Stein.

Indeed. There was a thread recently in AH "like does anyone like even understand how trump won?".

And apparently I must be alt-right because in my opinion, trump won a two horse race because "but but the alternative was Hillary". Now I had no vote but a lot of people who did vote obviously do look at it like that.

I just don't see how that answer isn't valid. I do see a lot of people who can't or won't accept it.

Indeed. There was a thread recently in AH "like does anyone like even understand how trump won?".

And apparently I must be alt-right because in my opinion, trump won a two horse race because "but but the alternative was Hillary". Now I had no vote but a lot of people who did vote obviously do look at it like that.

I just don't see how that answer isn't valid. I do see a lot of people who can't or won't accept it.
    I think I was the exact opposite. I would have probably voted for a more respectable Republican candidate against Hillary; although, I'm finding it difficult to think of who I would have voted for out of this year's Republican primaries.

In my view, Hillary isn't "crooked", her email server was a red herring and her health/age is sexist nonsense. However, I believe that her record as Secretary of State left a lot to be desired and her policies were not anywhere near as refined and IMO honestly held as people like Sanders.

Hillary wanted to win too much.

But when the alternative was Trump, I was glad to vote for Hillary.

I support free press, and it's refreshing to read certain stories from a different perspective, such as the BLM protests, the immigration crisis. Ireland even gets a mention every now and then.

Might I ask what else do you read , if it is not too presumptuous .

psssssst

*whispering*

For those not in the "know", the reason marienbad is asking about DailyStormer is that it is a self-proclaimed neo-Nazi and white supremacist "news" outlet. They have a site devoted to organising trolls to attack people with whom they disagree.

Their founder/editor, has described the site as "a means to propagandize people … to get them to look at the world in a certain way".

Headlines include "All Intelligent People in History Disliked Jews" and "Adolf Hitler: The Most Lied About Man of All Time".

It'd be funny if it wasn't legitimately being quoted on this forum as a ****ing news source. FML.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

psssssst

*whispering*

For those not in the "know", the reason marienbad is asking about DailyStormer is that it is a self-proclaimed neo-Nazi and white supremacist "news" outlet. They have a site devoted to organising trolls to attack people with whom they disagree.

Their founder/editor, has described the site as "a means to propagandize people … to get them to look at the world in a certain way".

Headlines include "All Intelligent People in History Disliked Jews" and "Adolf Hitler: The Most Lied About Man of All Time".

It'd be funny if it wasn't legitimately being quoted on this forum as a ****ing news source. FML.

It makes the Sun look like War and Peace.

Might I ask what else do you read , if it is not too presumptuous .

For sports and film reviews, the Guardian.
    For restaurant reviews, Irish Times.
    For celebrity gossip, or finding out which child star has reached the age of consent, the Daily Mail.
    For what Gerry Adams had for breakfast, the Indo.

I sort of graze over everything, conscious that some or all of it is trying to sell me something.

Legitimate question: where did all the alt-right posters come from in the Politics forum? Do they just feel safe now to express their views now that Trump is elected?

I genuinely ask, because I see that most aren't new accounts and some people (without wanting to name-check in a negative way) like BoJack who in the past I would have agreed with on a lot of points and I believed probably shared many socio-political view with seems to have shifted extremely to the social right (again, not trying to make a personal attack, just an observation).

Maybe this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the loony-left goings on of the Cafe, it just looks stark and worrying that almost all threads in here are about neo-fascism, the alt-right, social conservatism, etc. and there are an amazing amount of support for these ideals compared to what I would have seen in the past.

It's merely an observation that I'm honestly a little stunned by! Just trying to get my head around it... are these mainly US posters or is this the view of a chunk of Irish (resident) people as well?

For what Gerry Adams had for breakfast, the Indo Journal.

FYP. The Journal/Boards.ie media group is probably the most biased left-leaning, SF-loving media source in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Low quality post and response deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I sort of graze over everything, conscious that some or all of it is trying to sell me something.

So what are the DailyStormer trying to sell you , and I suppose more importantly what are you buying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The_A

So what are the DailyStormer trying to sell you , and I suppose more importantly what are you buying ?

I gosh I don't think we shoul go there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The_A wrote: »
    I gosh I don't think we shoul go there!

Post more constructively than this please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I agree with most posters in this thread, this fake news stuff is really getting out of control. Wikileaks, Russia, Rabble Rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

As per the subject matter of the thread, here is an interview with the now true "leader" of the Alt-Right , Richard Spencer.
    For those unaware, he is also the man who coined the term a few years back, and used to have a webzine/site entitled "Alternative Right":

• Advertisement

I had posted this talk originally on December 7th, the night of the event at Texas A&M , but that video had rather poor audio -this one is much better.

It's somewhat amusing as it appears to have been recorded by someone protesting against him :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Beyond "this group supported Donald Trump, let's see can we tar all supporters with the same brush", this is an utter non-event. It's the same handful of guys as it was last year doing the same thing as last year.
    An irrelevance the left likes to keep raising as if they were "why Trump won".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Beyond "this group supported Donald Trump, let's see can we tar all supporters with the same brush", this is an utter non-event. It's the same handful of guys as it was last year doing the same thing as last year.
    An irrelevance the left likes to keep raising as if they were "why Trump won".

It really does seem blown out of proportion. There are crackpots at either end of the spectrum but we're to believe that there are way way way more at one end than the other and that they swung it for trump? Not plausible. The centre is closer to where trumps crew saw it than where Hillarys crew imagined it.

Hillary "vote for me you cretins" swung it for trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Amazingfun wrote: »
    As per the subject matter of the thread, here is an interview with the now true "leader" of the Alt-Right , Richard Spencer.
    For those unaware, he is also the man who coined the term a few years back, and used to have a webzine/site entitled "Alternative Right":

He makes some good points in the first half of that video.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He makes some good points in the first half of that video.

No he doesn't. He makes points you happen to agree with. He's an odious man.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »

Please explain this comment, as in, why you posted it?
    For is it not blatantly obvious that he makes points you "happen not to agree with"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Brian? wrote: »

Agreed, he gets his arse handed to him by this non sympathetic interviewer a couple of weeks ago trotting out the same veiled racist BS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Please explain this comment, as in, why you posted it?
    For is it not blatantly obvious that he makes points you "happen not to agree with"?
    Well, yes. "He's right", "He's wrong" etc. posts are completely pointless unless there's something to back it up. Random snippets of opinion aren't a discussion.

Agreed, he gets his arse handed to him by this non sympathetic interviewer a couple of weeks ago trotting out the same veiled racist BS.

Not what I see happening there at all.

Bit strange someone could describe the dimbulb Roland Martin as some generic "non-sympathetic" person. He has his own agenda and its very much on display. He also lied numerous times here and seemed incapable of real conversation, imagining his non-stop hostile badgering of Spencer = I WON!

Richard Spencer is very polite and restrained, perhaps too much so. This despite having to endure various bizarre rants from Martin on his status as a not being a "real Christian" :rolleyes: (like his good self, of course), among other idiotic portions of this "interview".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So, what are the 'Antifa' nutcases? Left, it seems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement