Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The alt right - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Neither of those parties are in government, which comprises the centre-right Poroshenko Bloc and the nationalist People's Front as the junior partner
    Howld on there a minute. You're telling us the People's Front, a breakaway from the Fatherland (I kid you not) party aren't neo-nazis? Mmmmk...

marienbad wrote: »
    It is not the SJW warriors (as ye like to call any one that disagrees with ye ) running around shouting Sieg Heil
    No, they're starting riots to get Clinton into power so she can continue backing jihadi stone age lunatics from Libya to Afghanistan. So much better to be shooting women for showing their face and throwing gay men off towers than have 10 guys doing seig heils at a rally where half of the attendees are journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Howld on there a minute. You're telling us the People's Front, a breakaway from the Fatherland (I kid you not) party aren't neo-nazis? Mmmmk...

You might want to brush up on your knowledge of the Fatherland party there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No, they're starting riots to get Clinton into power so she can continue backing jihadi stone age lunatics from Libya to Afghanistan. So much better to be shooting women for showing their face and throwing gay men off towers than have 10 guys doing seig heils at a rally where half of the attendees are journalists.
    That's a keeper.

• Advertisement

That's a keeper.
    Maybe. Anything of substance to add?

Maybe. Anything of substance to add?

No. It's a thing of beauty, a joy forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

What do you propose instead of ''empowering minorities '' ?

Meritocracy.
    Gerrymandering as we had in Northern Ireland for 60 years and happening in some states in the USA right now ? Bring back slavery , fire up those oven , babymakers get back in the home where ye belong ? What ?

It is not the SJW warriors (as ye like to call any one that disagrees with ye ) running around shouting Sieg Heil

Opposition to "progressive" ideas doesn't necessitate supporting regression. I can call both sides out on being the idiots that they are.

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Meritocracy.

Opposition to "progressive" ideas doesn't necessitate supporting regression. I can call both sides out on being the idiots that they are.

Being against progression and against regression means everybody stays where they are. That's unfair and boring.

Being against progression and against regression means everybody stays where they are. That's unfair and boring.
    They're pointless phrases. It's the functional equivalent of saying you like what you like because you like it.

• Advertisement

They're pointless phrases. It's the functional equivalent of saying you like what you like because you like it.

You're right. But I didn't want to point it out to him as baldly as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Progress, to me, has always meant positive change. What self proclaimed progressives talk about lately is rarely positive and is often a case of change for the sake of change, and trying to fix what isn't broken, or fix things in a way that only makes other peoples lives worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Sometimes it is safer to take a break rather than rush unprepared society for new ideas
    There are more important things to do, for example improving economy
    But for SJW it is very boring, because it requires hard work

You're right. But I didn't want to point it out to him as baldly as that.
    You obviously didn't want to upset yourself either.
    There is much merit in what you say but I think it's not confined to feminism. Polarisation mitigates progression towards an equitable society.
    Oh, and since you got a thanks for agreeing the phrase was pointless...
    Are you saying we haven't made progress towards a more accepting society ?

Progress, to me, has always meant positive change. What self proclaimed progressives talk about lately is rarely positive and is often a case of change for the sake of change, and trying to fix what isn't broken, or fix things in a way that only makes other peoples lives worse.

I agree. Lasting change happens when you bring the extremes in from the edges. Within that parameter, there must a constant push for change wherever change should happen. The goal should always be parity of esteem and opportunity between human beings.

You obviously didn't want to upset yourself either.

You're right again. Inner peace is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

I think we call that Conservative.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Can you give a few examples ?

Sometimes it is safer to take a break rather than rush unprepared society for new ideas
    There are more important things to do, for example improving economy
    But for SJW it is very boring, because it requires hard work

Believe it or not we can always do more than one thing at time , if we couldn't we would still be back in the stone age .

The last government managed to improve the economy (however imperfectly), also managed to fcuk-up Irish water - and still brought forward the SSM referendum !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

marienbad wrote:
    The last government managed to improve the economy (however imperfectly), also managed to fcuk-up Irish water - and still brought forward the SSM referendum !

Our 'economy' certainly is better than what it was but is society actually better because of it?

• Advertisement

Can you give a few examples ?

Gender Quotas!

AnGaelach wrote: »
    I think we call that Conservative.:o

To be fair I don't think conservatives just let things stagnate, but change comes about gradually, and maybe too slowly for some of us, but I think it's too forced and arbitrary when instigated by people at the other end of the political spectrum.

Gender Quotas!

Are you speaking just about gender quotas or all quota systems ? really ?

The employment of catholics in NI or the employment of people of colour in the USA , for instance ? are you seriously contending that change would have come about naturally ?

Can you give any other examples of all these progressives you talk about with their

''self proclaimed progressives talk about lately is rarely positive and is often a case of change for the sake of change, and trying to fix what isn't broken, or fix things in a way that only makes other peoples lives worse.''

Are you speaking just about gender quotas or all quota systems ? really ?

The employment of catholics in NI or the employment of people of colour in the USA , for instance ? are you seriously contending that change would have come about naturally ?

Can you give any other examples of all these progressives you talk about with their

''self proclaimed progressives talk about lately is rarely positive and is often a case of change for the sake of change, and trying to fix what isn't broken, or fix things in a way that only makes other peoples lives worse.''

When there is an appropriate method of instigating change, use it.
    Never at the expense of the better candidate or anyone else.
    Fairness comes before change. Change is not a goal in itself.

When there is an appropriate method of instigating change, use it.
    Never at the expense of the better candidate or anyone else.
    Fairness comes before change. Change is not a goal in itself.

'Change is not a goal in itself' is not what is being talked about , you said it yourself ''Fairness comes before change''

Was the following fair ? the system of little of no catholics in Queens or the Police service in NI, no people of colour in any other than menial jobs in the USA , or married women in the Irish Finance dept ?

And remember the need for change in all the above investigated ad nauseam and were resisted for decades and often with violence . Our own government even fought the then EEC all the way on the married women issue right to the bitter end.

When those systems created using your mantra of ''Never at the expense of the better candidate ''

You can't be seriously disputing any of this . So again I ask what are all these changes your progressive friends are demanding that are so annoying ?

'Change is not a goal in itself' is not what is being talked about , you said it yourself ''Fairness comes before change''

Was the following fair ? the system of little of no catholics in Queens or the Police service in NI, no people of colour in any other than menial jobs in the USA , or married women in the Irish Finance dept ?

And remember the need for change in all the above investigated ad nauseam and were resisted for decades and often with violence . Our own government even fought the then EEC all the way on the married women issue right to the bitter end.

When those systems created using your mantra of ''Never at the expense of the better candidate ''

You can't be seriously disputing any of this . So again I ask what are all these changes your progressive friends are demanding that are so annoying ?

It's *not* annoying to demand change where a need for improvement has been identified.

A long as it's done in a considered and fair way!

It's *not* annoying to demand change where a need for improvement has been identified.

A long as it's done in a considered and fair way!

Until you give a specific examples widdershins I don't see how we can progress the discussion . It comes across like you just don't like all the clamour and noise .

I assume I am correct in saying you don't disagree with the examples I have given about catholics in NI etc , but if you got back to those times you can get people arguing they were justified - the usual bs , catholics were not loyal , rome blah blah. And even now over in the American Election thread we have a poster arguing in defence of gerrymandering.

So every you say sound fair and reasonable but without specific examples it is quite meaningless .

And by the way it is not just a one way street , I would be concerned at the lack of young men going into primary education or into child care and the operation of the family courts and so on .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Jesus. Sorry, women and minorities, we can't address your problems because of a lack of resources. Yes, I know, it's not about resources, but people won't shut up about resources anyway, so you're just going to have to keep having problems, because some people are stubbornly wedded to the idea that everything is a zero-sum game.

I honestly can't get my head around such a pig-headed determination to miss the point of the illustration that people resort to counting frigging boxes - even after they're told it's not about resources.

Oscar, what you're not getting is that its a terrible metaphor. People pointing out that it offers no useful lesson or guide are trying to help you develop your views. You should be thankful people are willing to take some time to help you, not be needlessly aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

That forms of feminism was OK. It wasn't affirmative action but opposition to legal discrimination against women (or catholics) . Now you want legal discrimination for upper middle class women against men. (Nobody cares about gender ratios in non elite jobs).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Why aren't we discussing reverse discrimination by class?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement