Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The alt right - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

This is not engagement?

You are not even addressing the question, are asking another instead!

Happily it is not up to you to decide what is or isn't engagement , if you don't like the answer fine .

Basically you asked for a justification for the proposed legislation , I gave one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Genuine question: is it your firmly-held belief that the reason there are no women on the executive boards of the GAA, the FAI or the IRFU is that there are no women who are the right people for the job?

Are you ruling out the possibility that women are not even being considered for these roles, simply because they are women (albeit that this bias may well be subconscious)?

If you accept the possibility that women are in fact discriminated against, but you oppose gender quotas, what mechanism would you propose to help end such systemic discrimination?

Who knows.

But surely before we apply laws on discrimination to voluntary sports we should look at other biases where it matters more. How many working class people (or non connected middle class people) in law or the press or academic jobs?

I never see the "equality" middle classes argue for death taxes or working class quotas. Why not?

marienbad wrote: »
    Happily it is not up to you to decide what is or isn't engagement , if you don't like the answer fine .

Basically you asked for a justification for the proposed legislation , I gave one .

Links? Examples?

Links? Examples?

Post no 1013 . Did I annoy you by any chance

Links to your own posts probably I am not accepting.

• Advertisement

But please answer my question about working class quotas.

Who knows.

But surely before we apply laws on discrimination to voluntary sports we should look at other biases where it matters more. How many working class people (or non connected middle class people) in law or the press or academic jobs?

I never see the "equality" middle classes argue for death taxes or working class quotas. Why not?

The fact that they are voluntary sports is immaterial , it is that they receive public monies .

And of course we should look at other areas , I have already given some examples - young men in primary education and in child care for a start .

Other areas would be children's allowance being universal .

But please answer my question about working class quotas.

What do you mean by working class quotas ? Into 3rd Level education , certain professions ? what ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

I think it's annoying when people demand links and never provide any themselves myself. You don't? More of a blind assertion type are you?

What do you mean by working class quotas ? Into 3rd Level education , certain professions ? what ??
    This is very obvious. Quotas for poorly paid jobs. You don't even know what "working class" means perhaps which would explain quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Yes. And long before we worry about the quota system for elite jobs for women.

I don't believe in quotas bit if we're to use them then this should be priority.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/mind-the-gap-the-stark-class-divide-in-access-to-third-level-1.2602138%3Fmode%3Damp?client=safari

So a quota that discriminates against say Dublin south side students.

I do believe in inheritance tax though.

Yes. And long before we worry about the quota system for elite jobs for women.

I don't believe in quotas bit if we're to use them then this should be priority.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/mind-the-gap-the-stark-class-divide-in-access-to-third-level-1.2602138%3Fmode%3Damp?client=safari

So a quota that discriminates against say Dublin south side students.

I do believe in inheritance tax though.

Yeah I agree with you completely on education , but don't forget working class also includes women .

And if this programme doesn't work in fairly quick time I am all for interference be it by funding, quota whatever .

Maybe we could take Childrens Allowance from those earning over 100k and start and education fund with it .

Well precisely. If we want all jobs to be 100% reflective of society then we need the same percentage of every possible demographic attending each university as there are in the country. At least we can dump the leaving cert now as you will be appointed a university place based on race, gender, gender identity, disability status, economic status, phase of the moon etc. instead of your actual ability. Hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Well precisely. If we want all jobs to be 100% reflective of society then we need the same percentage of every possible demographic attending each university as there are in the country. At least we can dump the leaving cert now as you will be appointed a university place based on race, gender, gender identity, disability status, economic status, phase of the moon etc. instead of your actual ability. Hurrah!

Leaving Cert doesn't necessarily reflect actual ability at all but I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

My views didn't change. I offered a second image with precisely the same underlying message, but without the opportunity for pendants to seize upon some irrelevant aspect like box-counting, and with helpful captions in case they still managed to miss the point.

So, in a sense, I learned something: when you're having a conversation with people who are threatened by the point you're making, you have to go to great lengths not to give them an excuse to tell you that you were making a different point all along. Which is a pretty depressing lesson, to be honest.

Oscar, I said develop your views, not change them. You offered a poor argument for your views. Your argument was criticised, and having learned from those criticisms you provided a better argument. Your critics have helped you.

And instead of thanking people for taking time to help you express yourself better, there is only aggression and snarkiness. This is why the alt-right exist: an equal and opposite reaction.

Genuine question: is it your firmly-held belief that the reason there are no women on the executive boards of the GAA, the FAI or the IRFU is that there are no women who are the right people for the job?

Are you ruling out the possibility that women are not even being considered for these roles, simply because they are women (albeit that this bias may well be subconscious)?

If you accept the possibility that women are in fact discriminated against, but you oppose gender quotas, what mechanism would you propose to help end such systemic discrimination?

Can you provide evidence of any gender discrimination in the cases of the executive boards of the GAA, the FAI or the IRFU?

Sand wrote: »
    Oscar, I said develop your views, not change them. You offered a poor argument for your views. Your argument was criticised, and having learned from those criticisms you provided a better argument. Your critics have helped you.

And instead of thanking people for taking time to help you express yourself better, there is only aggression and snarkiness. This is why the alt-right exist: an equal and opposite reaction.

He offered a fine argument for his views and for those slow on the uptake he offered a supplementary argument , but alas it still wasn't enough as we are now discussing his posting style rather than his point of view .

Oddly enough a trait that seem to run through the alt right contingent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

He offered a fine argument for his views and for those slow on the uptake he offered a supplementary argument , but alas it still wasn't enough as we are now discussing his posting style rather than his point of view .

Oddly enough a trait that seem to run through the alt right contingent:)

What alt right contingent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

It's all about the wind up.
    "let me help you develop your views" lol
    Feminazi, Libtard and of course the favourite Cuck.
    Learnt from gamergate.

The alt right is all about mocking, attacking their "percieved opponents".
    They clearly don't care about Trumps policies or lack thereof, the pleasure is in seeing "liberal tears" ie the wind up.

They must be the most scared people on Earth, Muslims are about to implement Shria law on them, transexuals are going to make them gay! Their self confirming echo chamber winds them up into a frenzy of fear which they lash out against. The lack of self awareness and eagerness to believe whatever suits their particular prejudices is remarkable.

The online part of it will go the way of clickbait people will get used to it and it's usefulness will disappear. The worrying aspect of it is the acceptance of a "strong authoritative leader" like Trump. Also the emboldening of racist groups, shouting Seig Heil or Hail Trump in the Ronald Reagan hall in Washington DC would have caused outrage amongst republicans even a year ago.

The very things they claim to be against they will gleefully support if it means the the imaginary purple haired lesbian that tweeted them once will be "upset".

They would be worthy of pity but to be so misinformed these takes takes willful ignorance. Milo and Katie Hopkins are cashing in and Steve Bannon/Trump are riding them for support. Eventually as each promise is broken and betrayed most might realise they have been taken for a ride.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    It's all about the wind up.
    "let me help you develop your views" lol
    Feminazi, Libtard and of course the favourite Cuck.
    Learnt from gamergate.

The alt right is all about mocking, attacking their "percieved opponents".
    They clearly don't care about Trumps policies or lack thereof, the pleasure is in seeing "liberal tears" ie the wind up. that tweeted them once will be "upset".

The very things they claim to be against they will gleefully support if it means the the imaginary purple haired lesbian that tweeted them once will be "upset".

They would be worthy of pity but to be so misinformed these takes takes willful ignorance.

The imaginary purple haired lesbian? I symptathise with them because I must be the person you imagine using words like feminazi, libtard, cuck, liberal tears. And as for being supportive of Trump - Jesus, keep up.

I like the above post because it demonstrates what I explained earlier. The SJW/Alt Right are just mirrors of each other. The likes of Spencer tries so hard to be reasonable when interviewed, but cant help revealing himself when put under even the mildest pressure to defend his views. The same is true of those who think they are his opponents, when they are really his fellow travellers. They pretend they want to debate, they want to be reasonable - but any sort of questioning is treated as a hostile attack.

The imaginary purple haired lesbian? I symptathise with them because I must be the person you imagine using words like feminazi, libtard, cuck, liberal tears. And as for being supportive of Trump - Jesus, keep up.

I like the above post because it demonstrates what I explained earlier. The SJW/Alt Right are just mirrors of each other. The likes of Spencer tries so hard to be reasonable when interviewed, but cant help revealing himself when put under even the mildest pressure to defend his views. The same is true of those who think they are his opponents, when they are really his fellow travellers.

Sand I don't think anyone could see you as alt right , bit of a contrarian possibly , alt right or even fellow traveller not a chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

I like the above post because it demonstrates what I explained earlier. The SJW/Alt Right are just mirrors of each other. The likes of Spencer tries so hard to be reasonable when interviewed, but cant help revealing himself when put under even the mildest pressure to defend his views. The same is true of those who think they are his opponents, when they are really his fellow travellers. They pretend they want to debate, they want to be reasonable - but any sort of questioning is treated as a hostile attack.

Never took you as alt right think you're a bit smarter than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Yeah I agree with you completely on education , but don't forget working class also includes women .

And if this programme doesn't work in fairly quick time I am all for interference be it by funding, quota whatever .

Maybe we could take Childrens Allowance from those earning over 100k and start and education fund with it .
    I presume the next step for total fairness should be equalizing average pay between public and private sector.
    Should save taxpayers a lot money for various SJWs ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I presume the next step for total fairness should be equalizing average pay between public and private sector.
    Should save taxpayers a lot money for various SJWs ideas

Because the public sector is of course in the top echelons of society. :rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just as the day after universal suffrage was finally earned, it could not be expected that there would immediately be a 50/50 split of parliamentarians...

No, that's fair. The day after would have been a lot to ask. How soon did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

oscarBravo wrote:

Yep. If it came to an election tomorrow, I'd support Frances Fitzgerald over Coveney, Martin or Vradkar. Why? She best represents me. The only people who vote based on gender/skin colour, are the same ones who cry racist over and over again. I vote on merits, not what you have between your legs (like most rational people), but if you want to get into a gender/identity campaign (aka Hillary), then the least you would do is win lmao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

To OP, The people that are aware and not compliant?

https://i.redd.it/j7c8ht81j84y.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

To OP, The people that are aware and not compliment?

https://i.redd.it/j7c8ht81j84y.gif

Damn you and your responsible staff management policies! :D
    Well, I wonder how many of these non-compliant people are really aware and how many just jump on any kind of protest wagon heading their way in order to "stick it to the man". I have unfollowed half my friends on Facebook, because they do nothing but post propaganda for their pet cause.
    So much of it (about 90%) is blatant lies, misinformation and propaganda. From either side. And it seems that a large % of the people are willing to swallow any kind of sh*the as long as it means they get to stir the bucket a little.
    So you get a small handful of people commanding an army of zombies who just mindlessly parrot the party line, without thinking, without criticising. Its human nature, I mean how else can you explain football hooliganism? Just jump on the nearest bandwagon, wave a banner and shoutl slogans.
    It will never change, the internet has simply connected more morons in a common cause than ever before.
    And that is why I believe next to nothing anymore. Its a propaganda war. Fewer people than ever know the real truth, because they are too stupid, lazy and enraged to ho out there and find the real information.
    Just read any of the 25 page battles between 2 idiots on any thread here and you know that people simply plug their ears and scream their propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

How many are really aware? Probably very few, the deceptiveness of Government especially in the US runs deep. However it's better to be aware media and politicians are constantly lying and to question things rather than to accept everything they and the MSM tell you as fact.

I'm truly amazed at the amount of people that do believe everything they hear and the people who question or have opposing views get called conspiracy theorists. When you see what the Clinton campaign think of their supporters ( in many instances within the emails described in racist and derogatory terms ) , it makes you really wonder how effective the media is in brainwashing an average person. Remember the hands up don't shoot lie that resulted in the killing of police officers and formation of the racist hate group black lives matter because of it.

Your point about propaganda is very true, I don't believe anything anymore either. Hillary Clinton passed a law after she lost the election to now censor feeds coming through Facebook and other social media sites, essentially to limit the availability of independent conservative media. This is nothing more than censorship of freedom of speech and a tool to push a left wing agenda/propaganda. She has bought out big youtube celebrities (e.g. corey neistat) because the democrats now finally are starting to realize people don't trust the MSM and the internet is the bigger platform. As bad as Trump is he deserves massive praise for calling out the media and exposing many of them ( with the help of Wikileaks ) as nothing more than paid operatives of the democratic party.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement