Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did it take you to find employment after returning?

• 16-11-2016 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hello, I'm planning on moving back with my US wife towards the end of next year. The one thing that's playing on my mind quite a bit is getting a job soon after returning. I've been working as a Data Analyst in a Financial field here in Texas for 3 years now, and obviously I'd be looking for a similar role back home, now I'm not limiting myself to a certain area, I'm willing to move anywhere, I'm going to be living with family when I land and then obviously I will re-locate to wherever the jobs are.
    I wanted to ask people that have returned, how long did it take you to land employment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicoladoc87

Hello Natonstan, I decided to move back to Dublin after 6 years in Australia in July. I started looking for work in August and secured a role in early October. I found most companies to be quite flexible in interviewing via video conference. I mainly used Linkedin's job search function.
    I was upfront in my resume and cover letter that I was located in Melbourne, but was capable of relocating within x period of time. I think that helped.
    I'm sure there were roles that I was passed over for because I was overseas but I was able to get an awesome job without compromising on what I wanted - salary, location etc. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your search :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I returned in July and was fortunate enough to have the job lined up before hand. Of course the job that I got was the one that didn't permit video interviews, so I had to attend face-to-face, but pretty much every other job I applied for did permit Skype/Google+ interviews.

Advertisement