Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn Farts a lot and unsettled

Options
  • 16-11-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our 4 week old gets very unsettled. He won't sleep on his back and only sleeps when he is upright lying on one of us.

He gets irritated a lot and then he farts a lot as well. We think he has pain and farting helps relieve him.

Any idea what may be causing this and what could we do or get to help him?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Sounds like colic ... our youngest had it at that stage, goes on untill week 10 or so, it helps if you massage their belly, there are videos on youtube.

Good luck!

Colic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_colic
    Treatment[edit]
    Management of colic is generally conservative and involves the reassurance of parents.[8] Calming measures may be used and include: swaddling with the legs flexed, holding the baby on its side or stomach, swinging the baby side to side or back and forth while supporting the head, making a shushing sound, and breast feeding or the use of a pacifier.[7] Eye contact, talking, and holding an infant are also reasonable measures,[7] though is not entirely clear if these actions have any effect beyond placebo.[8][19]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

mine had it and we used over the counter stuff mixed in the milk. Worked for us thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We used Infacol and it seemed to work, though the Wikipedia article on the active ingredient, Simethicone, says that it doesn't work. Still, worth a try.

Is he breastfed? Mum could try making changes to her own diet to see if this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

bp wrote: »
    mine had it and we used over the counter stuff mixed in the milk. Worked for us thankfully

Yeah we did the same

Used these drops with each feed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2-X-Original-Anti-Colic-Drops-SAB-Simplex-Pfizer-30-Ml-Fastest-Delivery/1918735599

Helped a lot with his wind.

Found babies magic tea very good ( fennel and cumin ) to settle him as well, he was in awful pain those first 12 weeks, cried every evening for hours

It just disappeared when he was 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We used colief and found that if even one does was missed the screaming at night was awful.

Started clearing at 12 weeks. Used infocol too on bad days. Baby was bf so had to pump to administer it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would talk to your PHN about lactose intolerance,lactase drops can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Is is formula fed? My son had a similar problem and a change from SMA to Aptamil sorted him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Our little guy was like this in the early days, he would sleep on his back but wake up screaming and in obvious pain including after feeding. Does it happen after taking a feed? Is he breastfed, mine is and I found vegetables like broccoli and things like coffee aggravated it. It was particularly bad when he took expressed milk in a bottle. We tried infacol but it was pretty useless. After a bit of research there was a lot of info online that the active ingredient doesnt work, link to one here i found after a quick google. We used to do bicycle legs after a feed. There is loads of videos on youtube for example this one. Anyway our little guy kind of just grew out of it after 3 months and isnt affected anymore even when i drink coffee or eat broccoli so i think its just their immature tummies in the very early days need time to adapt and they get trapped wind and a bit of reflux.

Advertisement