Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are tenants responsibilities regarding keeping house heated

Options
  • 17-11-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

What can be done if a tenant isn't keeping the house heated, my parents have a house rented and the tenant hasn't been heating the house, the tenant contacted them regarding the heating not working, when my father checked he found there was no oil in the tank and the tank had been put up on blocks to get the very last bit of oil out of it.
    They had previously run out of oil and locked out the system, and my parents paid to get it fixed that time, they then said that if it happened again they were not responsible.
    It also seems that there hasn't been any fires lighting either. Does a tenant have a responsibility to heat a house, as it could cause damp etc.
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I'd say they do, while it shouldn't need to be, it might have been wise to put this in the contract. Not heating a house could have other problems such as condensation from water vapours from habitation and use, combined with being cold, this could cause mould to form. How long are they in? Might be worth dealing with now if possible rather than 4 years down the road when house is subject to this wear and other wear and tear from their use.
    Tbh don't know why they would have tolerated the tank being moved or paying to resolve the locking out of the boiler because of it, sets a precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MayBee

Unfortunately nothing specific in the lease regarding heating of the property. When there was an issue with the heating originally they were not aware that it was because the oil had ran out, and as they had called the plumber they felt they had to pay for it, they do obviously feel that they should not have been responsible for this but decided to let it slide as the tenant was not long in the property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

bad move to "let it slide". Unfortunately with tenants you have to be FIRM but fair. Otherwise they will walk on top of you. Keep on top of this lot because anyone who cant be bothered to heat themselves imo are bad news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

MayBee wrote: »
    What can be done if a tenant isn't keeping the house heated, my parents have a house rented and the tenant hasn't been heating the house, the tenant contacted them regarding the heating not working, when my father checked he found there was no oil in the tank and the tank had been put up on blocks to get the very last bit of oil out of it.
    They had previously run out of oil and locked out the system, and my parents paid to get it fixed that time, they then said that if it happened again they were not responsible.
    It also seems that there hasn't been any fires lighting either. Does a tenant have a responsibility to heat a house, as it could cause damp etc.
    Any advice welcome.
    Residential Tenancies Act 2004
    Provisions regarding tenant's obligations

) ensure that no act or omission by the tenant results in there not being complied with the obligations of the landlord, under any enactment, in relation to the dwelling or the tenancy (and in particular, the landlord's obligations under regulations under section 18 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 ),

f) not do any act that would cause a deterioration in the condition the dwelling was in at the commencement of the tenancy, but there shall be disregarded, in determining whether this obligation has been complied with at a particular time, any deterioration in that condition owing to normal wear and tear,

If not heating the dwelling is causing a deterioration the tenant should be warned by letter that they are in breach of their obligations and that they could be at risk of termination if they do not take appropriate steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

tradesman wrote: »
    bad move to "let it slide". Unfortunately with tenants you have to be FIRM but fair. Otherwise they will walk on top of you. Keep on top of this lot because anyone who cant be bothered to heat themselves imo are bad news

This is an unfair comment imo. They might be broke and not able to afford to refill the oil tank. Saying they 'cant be bothered to heat themselves' without knowing them or their situation is a bit ignorant imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I have seen it mentioned in some leases that the house must be kept heated and ventilated and that was just a standard lease. Are you sure it's not in there? If not I suppose maybe just a friendly word might help. To be fair, people who aren't used to oil heating may not have the money saved up to fill the tank but they certainly could light the fire or use electric heaters. In saying that it hasn't been extremely cold yet this year, maybe they will when it gets colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I suppose you could do regular inspections for damp, put a small bit of oil in the tank (measuring and checking the depth each time) and run the heating during the check, and explain why both things were happening.

It'd be annoying and inconvenient, but at least it would make sure the heating was working.

We avoid using the heating in our current rental as much as possible because it's expensive to do so and the heat just goes through the roof. But someone explaining to us the situation would make a difference.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Residential Tenancies Act 2004
    Provisions regarding tenant's obligations

) ensure that no act or omission by the tenant results in there not being complied with the obligations of the landlord, under any enactment, in relation to the dwelling or the tenancy (and in particular, the landlord's obligations under regulations under section 18 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 ),

f) not do any act that would cause a deterioration in the condition the dwelling was in at the commencement of the tenancy, but there shall be disregarded, in determining whether this obligation has been complied with at a particular time, any deterioration in that condition owing to normal wear and tear,

If not heating the dwelling is causing a deterioration the tenant should be warned by letter that they are in breach of their obligations and that they could be at risk of termination if they do not take appropriate steps.

Thank you so much for this, this is exactly the information that I was looking for.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I suppose you could do regular inspections for damp, put a small bit of oil in the tank (measuring and checking the depth each time) and run the heating during the check, and explain why both things were happening.

It'd be annoying and inconvenient, but at least it would make sure the heating was working.

We avoid using the heating in our current rental as much as possible because it's expensive to do so and the heat just goes through the roof. But someone explaining to us the situation would make a difference.

This is the thing, the tenant reported that there was damp, so this was obviously checked out, this is when it came to light that the house wasn't being heated, even though my father had given the tenant wood for the fire and there was oil in the tank when they moved in.
    We presume at the moment the heating still isn't working as it locked out when the oil ran out, and we're not aware of the tenant getting this fixed.

While I do get the sentiment, maybe they aren't cold yet and some people aren't too bothered about having general hot water if they have an electric shower (I know I'm not and always hated when housemates turned on heat to heat water in taps etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

SteM wrote: »
    This is an unfair comment imo. They might be broke and not able to afford to refill the oil tank. Saying they 'cant be bothered to heat themselves' without knowing them or their situation is a bit ignorant imo.

If they cannot afford to heat the place , then they cannot afford the place.

LL needs to be well on top of issues, and issue notices as soon as problems arise.

While I do get the sentiment, maybe they aren't cold yet and some people aren't too bothered about having general hot water if they have an electric shower (I know I'm not and always hated when housemates turned on heat to heat water in taps etc).

I made that point too, I mean it hasn't been very cold yet this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Filling an oil tank can be quite expensive all in one go. I remember my folks having to do a couple of big orders a year, I always thought it was mad to have to pay so much out in one go. If they're renting they may not have the means to fill an oil tank in this way. It's not like having a gas or electricity bill to pay. Ok the overall spend is probably the same but shelling out €600 to fill a tank is a big expense.

Is there a way to ask them to pay an extra €50 a month on their rent and you are responsible for getting the tank filled at specific intervals?

Filling an oil tank can be quite expensive all in one go. I remember my folks having to do a couple of big orders a year, I always thought it was mad to have to pay so much out in one go. If they're renting they may not have the means to fill an oil tank in this way. It's not like having a gas or electricity bill to pay. Ok the overall spend is probably the same but shelling out €600 to fill a tank is a big expense.

Is there a way to ask them to pay an extra €50 a month on their rent and you are responsible for getting the tank filled at specific intervals?

Good idea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

While that sounds like a good idea- you're really opening a Pandora's box- because the tenant will then say- heating is included in the rent, and not associate or appreciate the fact that their 50 quid (which really is a very small sum where heating is concerned)- doesn't go a long way- and sure why would they- when the landlord is going to fill the oil tank again.......

If the tenant is unable to heat the property- and in this case they have been given wood for the open fires etc by the landlord and of their own volition have not set fires- then the issue goes beyond sympathising that they may be unable to afford the oil- these tenants could just as easily have set fires in the fireplaces, but have chosen not to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Jesus God forbid someone wasn't cold whatever will we do :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

these tenants could just as easily have set fires in the fireplaces, but have chosen not to do so.

Yeah but wait for it.....

THEY MIGHT NOT BE COLD

FHSHSUDUDUD

it's been a fierce mild winter so far not everyone lights their fire November first ffs

While that sounds like a good idea- you're really opening a Pandora's box- because the tenant will then say- heating is included in the rent, and not associate or appreciate the fact that their 50 quid (which really is a very small sum where heating is concerned)- doesn't go a long way- and sure why would they- when the landlord is going to fill the oil tank again.......

If the tenant is unable to heat the property- and in this case they have been given wood for the open fires etc by the landlord and of their own volition have not set fires- then the issue goes beyond sympathising that they may be unable to afford the oil- these tenants could just as easily have set fires in the fireplaces, but have chosen not to do so.

Good point but €50 per month is €600 per year which would cover one fill and when it's gone it's gone. It's just a suggestion. The LL could kick off over the heat not being on all they like but if the tenant doesn't have €600 to fill the tank then nothing will change that. Lighting a fire in the house would not deal with the problems of damp and mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

pilly wrote: »
    Good point but €50 per month is €600 per year which would cover one fill and when it's gone it's gone. It's just a suggestion. The LL could kick off over the heat not being on all they like but if the tenant doesn't have €600 to fill the tank then nothing will change that. Lighting a fire in the house would not deal with the problems of damp and mould.

What stops the tenant putting 50 Quid into i dont know, their savings account personally for such a need......

Edups wrote: »
    Yeah but wait for it.....

THEY MIGHT NOT BE COLD

FHSHSUDUDUD

it's been a fierce mild winter so far not everyone lights their fire November first ffs

They're bitching about damp- and haven't been turning on the heating. Of course they're bloody going to have damp- if they don't have any heating........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

If they cannot afford to heat the place , then they cannot afford the place.

LL needs to be well on top of issues, and issue notices as soon as problems arise.

It's been said already, it costs a large lump sum to fill a tank with oil. Perhaps they're saving for it, they obviously didn't know about it when they moved in. The OP doesn't know because she'd rather talk to strangers on the internet about it than discuss it with the tenant.

listermint wrote: »
    What stops the tenant putting 50 Quid into i dont know, their savings account personally for such a need......

Probably the fact that they wouldn't have enough until next winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Still bad news for the LL regardless of the reasons behind their failure to heat the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's been said already, it costs a large lump sum to fill a tank with oil. Perhaps they're saving for it, they obviously didn't know about it when they moved in. The OP doesn't know because she'd rather talk to strangers on the internet about it than discuss it with the tenant.

You don't need to fill it. Tenants can and do buy small amounts at a time eg €40. Yes, it doesnt get delivered, and yes it is more expensive than buying a fill. But its what some people do, just like pre pay electricity. (Some believe it's more economical overall, once you figure in the probability of oil being stolen following a delivery.)

The real loser is the LL due to the risk of damage from sludge at the bottom of the tank. And that's another reason for landlords to be very careful checking that prospective tenants can afford the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It's a risk for the tenant to pay to fill the oil tank if they're unsure how long they'll be in the property. You can imagine people wouldn't be overly happy to pay out €600 to fill the tank, and then wind up moving out with the tank still half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Slightly off the main topic, but if the tank has been lifted on to blocks it is probably not supported sufficiently and is in danger of cracking if the tank is filled. If you get an oil spill or leak in the vicinity of the house or in the foundations the cost of fixing it will be huge.

looksee wrote: »
    Slightly off the main topic, but if the tank has been lifted on to blocks it is probably not supported sufficiently and is in danger of cracking if the tank is filled. If you get an oil spill or leak in the vicinity of the house or in the foundations the cost of fixing it will be huge.

Its a common enough practice- to get gravity to assist in emptying oil tanks. Its been done all around Ireland for literally decades.........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is not the issue, my own tank is raised about 3ft off the ground, the question is whether there are just a few random blocks or a proper level shelf for the tank to sit on. An irregular surface stresses the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If they don't want heat on they don't have to. If you feel it's damaging the house you can pay for the heat but you can not force a tenant to use heating
    If they get an airlock in the oil line and you have to pay a plumber it's up to them to pay for this.

• Advertisement

You don't need to fill it. Tenants can and do buy small amounts at a time eg €40. Yes, it doesnt get delivered, and yes it is more expensive than buying a fill. But its what some people do, just like pre pay electricity. (Some believe it's more economical overall, once you figure in the probability of oil being stolen following a delivery.)

The real loser is the LL due to the risk of damage from sludge at the bottom of the tank. And that's another reason for landlords to be very careful checking that prospective tenants can afford the property.

I tried this before and was then told that the drums of oil had damaged the motor and it was my problem to fix so that's not necessarily a solution either. Repairman told me the drums of oil can introduce contamination to the tank? Not sure if that's true or not because I had no experience of oil heating before.

Advertisement