Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike options

Options
  • 17-11-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

So basically im in a position where I have a few quid that I can pick up a new bike.

Im currently riding a 2014 giant defy 1 (full shimano 105 groupset) and I absolutely love it.
    I have ridden it on the wicklow 200, from Galway to Dublin and on plenty of other long spins over the years and I love it to bits. I commute on it daily and to be honest abuse it quite a lot and its bulletproof.

It may sound like I dont want a new ride from the above, but I do for various reasons.
    My girlfriend is interested in cycling some long spins with me and the Giant is absolutely perfect for it. She currently commutes short distances on an absolute junker and needs a long spin bike.

I would be looking for an upgrade of sorts, Im currently drawn to the Planet X pro Carbon (can be had for about 1200 with full ultegra) But the question is...will this actually be an upgrade over my current bike? its actually similar price to what I paid for the Giant in 2014. Is the Planet x as good as it sounds or dose it only seem so on the surface?

Then there is the other end of the spectrum....if I had a bit more to spend....like 2k ish what would the option be? I think I would still like the sportive geometry but open to suggestions.
    Im a short arse, 5foot 4 and rocking a healthy 15 stone :P

tl;dr:
    Girlfriend wants my defy 1 (full 105) bike to join me on long spins and I have cash to buy a new ride...planet x pro carbon (full ultegra) for 1200? or ideas on another bike for 2k ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I'm seriously looking at the bike at the moment : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141418 . I know there is some reservation out there about disc brakes, but I have them on one bike already and I love them. Having said that, it might not constitute an 'upgrade' on your current bike, just different (and when it comes to owing more than one bike, logic goes out the window anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

I just purchased that bike as my winter bike. Lovely bike and it takes full mudguards.
    youtheman wrote: »
    I'm seriously looking at the bike at the moment : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141418 . I know there is some reservation out there about disc brakes, but I have them on one bike already and I love them. Having said that, it might not constitute an 'upgrade' on your current bike, just different (and when it comes to owing more than one bike, logic goes out the window anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

opentarget wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

So basically im in a position where I have a few quid that I can pick up a new bike.

Im currently riding a 2014 giant defy 1 (full shimano 105 groupset) and I absolutely love it.
    I have ridden it on the wicklow 200, from Galway to Dublin and on plenty of other long spins over the years and I love it to bits. I commute on it daily and to be honest abuse it quite a lot and its bulletproof.

It may sound like I dont want a new ride from the above, but I do for various reasons.
    My girlfriend is interested in cycling some long spins with me and the Giant is absolutely perfect for it. She currently commutes short distances on an absolute junker and needs a long spin bike.

I would be looking for an upgrade of sorts, Im currently drawn to the Planet X pro Carbon (can be had for about 1200 with full ultegra) But the question is...will this actually be an upgrade over my current bike? its actually similar price to what I paid for the Giant in 2014. Is the Planet x as good as it sounds or dose it only seem so on the surface?

Then there is the other end of the spectrum....if I had a bit more to spend....like 2k ish what would the option be? I think I would still like the sportive geometry but open to suggestions.

tl;dr:
    Girlfriend wants my defy 1 (full 105) bike to join me on long spins and I have cash to buy a new ride...planet x pro carbon (full ultegra) for 1200? or ideas on another bike for 2k ish.

What size are you? I know somebody that is selling a nearly new Canyon for excellent money. It's full carbon and 11 Speed Ultegra. These bike are amazing value at full price but at this price is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Trekker09 wrote: »
    What size are you? I know somebody that is selling a nearly new Canyon for excellent money. It's full carbon and 11 Speed Ultegra. These bike are amazing value at full price but at this price is a steal.

OP claims a height of 5'4" in the post you quoted, so I'd say work from there, since quoted bike sizes across manufacturers are more variable:

cython wrote: »
    OP claims a height of 5'4" in the post you quoted, so I'd say work from there, since quoted bike sizes across manufacturers are more variable:

Cheers, missed that as I was still half asleep!

I think it's a 53 but I'll find out for sure later and check if it's still available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

guys, anyone know what vintage this ultegra is?
    it's on a bike in a local shop, assembled in the shop, and being sold as new (as in unused - it's not being sold as 2016/17 kit). the owner reckons the frame is three years old (i suspect four), but is this a much older ultegra version?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Ultegra 6700, might just squeeze in at 4 yrs old.

guys, anyone know what vintage this ultegra is?
    it's on a bike in a local shop, assembled in the shop, and being sold as new (as in unused - it's not being sold as 2016/17 kit). the owner reckons the frame is three years old (i suspect four), but is this a much older ultegra version?

It's a bit grainy in the pic but that cassette doesn't look too new.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Thanks for all the reply's.

@ Trekker09, I am indeed 5 foot 4 so small bikes are key, Id love to hear the size of the cannyon if you can confirm its size.

@ youtheman, thats a seriously tidy looking bike. I have had a soft spot for Cubes. And after today's rain I really could have used some disk breaks!
    Just out of curiosity, can people chime in about reservations about disk breaks?
    I have had disks on my mountain bike for years and think they are great on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

@ Trekker09, I am indeed 5 foot 4 so small bikes are key, Id love to hear the size of the cannyon if you can confirm its size.

@ youtheman, thats a seriously tidy looking bike. I have had a soft spot for Cubes. And after today's rain I really could have used some disk breaks!
    Just out of curiosity, can people chime in about reservations about disk breaks?
    I have had disks on my mountain bike for years and think they are great on the hills.

OP seeing as you love your Defy so much, is an Defy advanced not the obvious upgrade?

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/series/defy.advanced/25073/

Seems like reasonable value there

• Advertisement

Your not wrong Niling...I have no idea why it didn't even cross my mind!
    Ill defiantly be adding it to the list, and think ill pop down to the bike shop at lunch tomorrow to have a nose at one.
    Seems like the models in the link you sent are fairly well priced.

Sorry but it's gone, being collected tonight. It was a Small/Medium which size wise would probably have suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Px pro carbon are a great bike, I am on one. comfy for the W200 and fast when needed. Very light weight for the investment as well. I don't think you will find an equivalent giant advance for the price.

Px pro carbon are a great bike, I am on one. comfy for the W200 and fast when needed. Very light weight for the investment as well. I don't think you will find an equivalent giant advance for the price.

Thanks for that, the price dose keep me going back to their website.
    I do love the look of the giant defy advanced, and I can only assume I will like how it rides based on my current bike. But I like the price of the pro carbon.

How is your experience on the PX? have you experience with other bikes as a comparison? And Im a heavy cyclist and wounder how you feel it would hold up under the 14+ stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

jamesd wrote: »
    I just purchased that bike as my winter bike. Lovely bike and it takes full mudguards.

I picked up the aluminium version of it last month, and the Cube custom mudguards. It's fantastic in the wet and I've found myself going out in the rain a few times just for the craic!

Bought for £840 from CRC, and with all their sales I reckon it'll be back to that price or lower at some point. If you can get to Belfast and their shop on Boucher you'd avoid the exchange rate shenanigans. CRC sales are worth watching - I got their Vitus pro frameset for less than £500 in January.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TooObvious wrote: »
    Ultegra 6700, might just squeeze in at 4 yrs old.
    cheers - it's a terry dolan hercules frame, ksyrium wheels, and ultegra - which at the price is an utter steal if it was all new, but the age (despite being unused) is the major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

Looking forward to my first spin on mine.
    cromcruach wrote: »
    I picked up the aluminium version of it last month, and the Cube custom mudguards. It's fantastic in the wet and I've found myself going out in the rain a few times just for the craic!

Bought for £840 from CRC, and with all their sales I reckon it'll be back to that price or lower at some point. If you can get to Belfast and their shop on Boucher you'd avoid the exchange rate shenanigans. CRC sales are worth watching - I got their Vitus pro frameset for less than £500 in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Sorry but it's gone, being collected tonight. It was a Small/Medium which size wise would probably have suited.

Sorry but at 5'4 the OP is most definitely an XS in Canyon sizing. I'm 5'7 (170cm) and I ride size S and I "just" about make S

While I'm here... that Cube is savage value! Hyrdo brakes at that price?!

And OP, if you like the Defy, as someone already suggested, why not get the newer/better version? If I recall correctly they got excellent reviews for the 2016 models, like really good!

One thing I like about the Defy is that it has quite a low back end compared to a Canyon or Cube. Which suits smaller less bean pole type people, so You can get lots of saddle post out in the fresh air compared to Canyons etc.

Also while I'm here... the Canyon equivalent to the Defy would probably be the Endurace, and they are good bang for buck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I do love the look of the giant defy advanced, and I can only assume I will like how it rides based on my current bike. But I like the price of the pro carbon.

How is your experience on the PX? have you experience with other bikes as a comparison? And Im a heavy cyclist and wounder how you feel it would hold up under the 14+ stone?

I had a Px pro carbon myself. Yes it's a very comfortable bike and you could ride all day on it .
    As regards responsiveness , it's not one of the best I've ridden . But depends what you want from it . For racing I wouldn't recommend it .There was a noticeable differance in the bike I bought after it in terms of response.
    The sizing is great on them with very compact frames and a size small should fit you nicely in one . Had a look at their site there and they are certainly good value

I had a Px pro carbon myself. Yes it's a very comfortable bike and you could ride all day on it .
    As regards responsiveness , it's not one of the best I've ridden . But depends what you want from it . For racing I wouldn't recommend it .There was a noticeable differance in the bike I bought after it in terms of response.
    The sizing is great on them with very compact frames and a size small should fit you nicely in one . Had a look at their site there and they are certainly good value

X2

• Advertisement

X2

X2

Advertisement