Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 IRC Postgraduate Funding

Options
  • 17-11-2016 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I hope some previous applicants can answer this, sorry if it has already been answered somewhere, I had a browse and didnt see any threads for this year.

Does anyone have an idea on the timeline of the IRC application, when can one expect to hear of the outcome, I've been told it could be as late as the end of the summer, is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KevinLl

Hey, I've applied too and I think that this time around it is March for the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

Yep, all we currently know is "March". The deadline was moved up three months on last year's deadline, so the general timeline may mirror theirs but three months ahead. Though I have a feeling they moved up the application deadline so that they could give themselves more time, judging by the cluster f that the last couple years have been with extension of the dates the results were supposed to be out etc. and it approaching the end of July giving applicants not nearly enough time to plan, look for accommodation... So I wouldn't be surprised if it were April. Best of luck!

I have noticed that my application has been viewed a few times by the IRC or the assessors. When I go into my submitted applications section and click to view my application as a pdf, it shows the last date it was modified. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

I've noticed this too. Mine has not been "modified" since mid-December though :/ , which fills me with pessimism despite no correlation between modifications and success having been established. At a guess though, a lot of activity in this regard suggests interest.

You can also get a somewhat informed idea of the scale of opened (though not necessarily completed) applications by looking at your application number, I believe.

Interesting that the discussion on this is quite relaxed this year compared to last--perhaps it's the timing, and undergrads and postgrads are generally too busy during this period to be distracted by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bennoo

Yes, mine was also last modified in the middle of December. just keeping my fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

I wonder if maybe less have applied this call. I wasn't expecting it to be so early and nearly didn't apply myself.

You might be right; the early call undoubtedly made things more difficult for prospective first time applicants who would have just been basically starting their masters around the deadline, and may not have had sufficient time to think through and elaborate on a compelling proposal. That being said, it was a more or less the perfect time for current PhD students seeking funding and recent graduates taking a year out.

For what it's worth though, my application ID is in excess of 1000. How many completed their applications is another story; it's quite easy to open one without completing it, and even then one must wrangle two referees and a supervisor reference together (as well as endorsement from the research office--but that should be the straightforward part).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 meabhl

I'm a second time applicant and last year there was an issue with the timing of the outcomes. Knowing this, I think it will be the end of March.

By the way last year on boards we were all talking about how often our apps were viewed/modified. I won't be looking this year - it ended up being nearly an obsession. I missed out by 4.5% and mine was viewed as recently as people who did and didn't get it. I don't think it gives an indication of if you are successful or not. For all the first time applicants out there try not to worry and think too much about it. It's a horrible wait enough already! Granted that's more easily said than done!!!

Thank you, I think it eases my mind knowing that modification frequency doesn't matter much.

Good luck this year, I hope it works out for you (and everybody here!); I would be confident that with knowledge of how the system works and what is expected from last year, you will do quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 haight ashbury

My application was also last modified in mid-December...

Best of luck everyone - hopefully we won't be waiting too long for the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 toxobcl2

My application was last modified on the 19th of January and before that it was mid November. Seems like the applications aren't viewed too regularly.

Interesting; sounds like the first round of assessment has likely not been completed yet then, at least in your stream (November update would probably have coincided with your college's research office endorsement).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Afurosan

meabhl wrote: »
    I'm a second time applicant and last year there was an issue with the timing of the outcomes. Knowing this, I think it will be the end of March.

By the way last year on boards we were all talking about how often our apps were viewed/modified. I won't be looking this year - it ended up being nearly an obsession. I missed out by 4.5% and mine was viewed as recently as people who did and didn't get it. I don't think it gives an indication of if you are successful or not. For all the first time applicants out there try not to worry and think too much about it. It's a horrible wait enough already! Granted that's more easily said than done!!!

What was the cut off percentage for funding last year?

Zoinks wrote:
    Good luck this year, I hope it works out for you (and everybody here!); I would be confident that with knowledge of how the system works and what is expected from last year, you will do quite well.

Zoinks wrote:
    Thank you, I think it eases my mind knowing that modification frequency doesn't matter much.

Thanks zoinks!! I really hope so, Fingers crossed for all the boardies =) also from what I can remember stem and other application types did come out on separate dates. I'm stem so I have no idea how soon/late the other apps were.

Yeh try not to worry, granted its playing on my mind the closer we get to March haha =)

Afurosan wrote:
    What was the cut off percentage for funding last year?

87% in stem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

KevinLl wrote: »
    I wonder if maybe less have applied this call. I wasn't expecting it to be so early and nearly didn't apply myself.

I heard a few people complaining about the early closing date this year also. It was crazy trying to get everything together after just starting semester 1 of stage 4.

I also heard last year some people were notified as late as June/July of the outcome of their application.

Seems like a catch-22 for the IRC; either start the process in October and make life hard for people starting their final year/masters, or start it in January/February and leave people on tenterhooks while they could be looking for accommodation.

In last year's case, looking at that thread, it seems like it would have been helpful if persons that didn't pass the first round were notified immediately.

gline wrote:
    I heard a few people complaining about the early closing date this year also. It was crazy trying to get everything together after just starting semester 1 of stage 4.

gline wrote:
    I also heard last year some people were notified as late as June/July of the outcome of their application.

Yes I nearly didn't re apply myself! It was so early!! So difficult for all applicants working / studying. But I'm hoping kind of selfishly not many people applied... The early app date may have shaken some people into applying next year!

I found out on the 1st of July!

meabhl wrote: »
    But I'm hoping kind of selfishly not many people applied... The early app date may have shaken some people into applying next year!

Funny I was hoping the same. Hopefully a lot of PI's were thrown with the date also.

Does anyone know if they do actually let us know before March if we don't pass the first round or is that part not revealed? I feel like I'm in limbo just waiting to see the shape of my life over the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

My application was modified again. Impossible to know what it represents, but it kind of gives you butterflies 0_o

EDIT: From looking at last year's thread everybody seemed to be notified of success/failure in and around the same time.

I feel the exact same way!!!
    And no idea - I haven't even looked at my application so I'm just waiting on an email

Yeh I dont think the modified dates of applications mean anything, or can give any indication of timing. Best to just wait for the email I reckon.

I think the problem is that it means something, but we don't know what that something is :D , and it's not productive to worry about it.

EDIT FEB 6: More modifications. I think assessment is probably well underway in at least the AHSS stream at this point. I will indulge some speculation, and it is only that so please nobody get anxious :). Your apps will have to go through two international reviewers, so change might occur whenever one of them opens and/or grades. It might be safe to assume that a modification will occur also if say someone at the IRC opens your application to see any updates made by those reviewers.

If any of my speculation is accurate and you haven't seen any updates, don't fret, I think they have approx. four weeks to get through the applications at the first stage.

At any rate, for those of us who are AHSS, I have hope that we are on track for results by March's end.

Anyone else have their hopes dashed today? I didn't get through phase 1, got an email a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Hi all,

If it's any help for others, my application wasn't successful either.

"A total of 444 eligible applications were assessed under the ‘Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences’ funding stream, with the lowest total score for progression to the Inner International Assessment Board set at 87."

I scored 85 :(

Not sure if I'm annoyed at myself for spending so much time or just not quite enough! :eek:

Always next time! Best of luck to those remaining! :)

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Are you AHSS or STEM?

My status has not changed but suffice it to say I am nervous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

AHSS

I'd imagine a batch mail went out, so if you've heard nothing, you're safe!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bennoo

i also didn't get it, just received the email. hmmmm

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear that, I know I will be gutted if I get the dreaded email today.

Has your status been changed on smartsimple?

Advertisement