Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 IRC Postgraduate Funding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bennoo

Yes, it has been changed to unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I was unsuccessful also. 2 marks off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

I was notified by email that I am progressing to stage 2.

Commiserations to those who were ruled out of contention :( Please don't give up, and pursue university/other funding where available, or apply next year if that is an option.

I will keep you posted on how this goes. I think I will be in the dark til the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

So happy to have found this thread! I've gotten through to the second stage, so I'm happy about that, but this whole process has been fairly stressful (as if the bloody PhD wasn't stressful enough), and I actually can't wait for it to be over, one way or another!

Best of luck, Kinks56. I know how stressful it is, but at least it is nearly over, for better or worse.

• Advertisement

Lots of upgrades going on on the online system that occasionally render the application inaccessible; I would wonder if this will indeed be over before April--I am not so sure at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sarzed1

Hi, I'm also awaiting results for stage two of the IRC decisions- fingers crossed for everyone waiting! V tempted to tweet them and ask if they're likely to get decisions out by the end of march (they seem quite responsive on twitter), but I fear that might seem desperate...!

It can't hurt to send them a tweet asking them if they are still on track for March results--if you already have a twitter account anyway. :)

They replied and confirmed "results will be released by the end of march"- so we'll know either way by the end of next week! :O

Thank you for sharing, it is great to get concrete information!

I won't be able to concentrate on anything else for the next 10 days; fingers and toes are crossed :eek:

• Advertisement

ditto- fingers crossed! it feels so close, but still so far..!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Hey, I applied for this and made it through the first stage. However I will 99% be not accepting it if it is offered as I have been accepted to grad school in the US. Can/Should I withdraw now so I don't take someone else's offer? Is there a waitlist for this thing in case people do decline so others can take the spot?

It looks like my application is available again. No movement on "Last Modified" yet.
    Decerto wrote: »
    Hey, I applied for this and made it through the first stage. However I will 99% be not accepting it if it is offered as I have been accepted to grad school in the US. Can/Should I withdraw now so I don't take someone else's offer? Is there a waitlist for this thing in case people do decline so others can take the spot?

Looking at last year's thread for this, there were candidates placed on a reserve list--so you should not be eliminating anybody else's opportunity if you want to take time to think more about this and are ultimately successful. That being said, if you are fairly certain that you will reject the offer, it is kind of a waste of reviewers' time and may put a prospectively successful candidate in a position where they have to wait a little longer than everyone else for their final result.

What you do is up to you; there is an advantage to waiting if you feel like you might want a backup.

And congratulations on your grad school offer :)

my app is back up and also hasn't moved on 'last modified'-  (though it's slightly reassuring that all applications at this stage will go through exactly the same process, so the 'last modified' date doesn't mean much? Unlike last year when they didn't announce the outcome of stage 1 so people had more to speculate about, anyway).
    I was hoping they'd changed to "under construction" while they uploaded all the results- sadly that appears to have been a tad optimistic..!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

I'm an absolute nervous wreck waiting for these results. Every email makes my heart race. Regardless of the outcome, I just want this ordeal over.

kyle84 wrote: »
    I'm an absolute nervous wreck waiting for these results. Every email makes my heart race. Regardless of the outcome, I just want this ordeal over.

I can empathize with this--I think my toes curl and I just think "uh oh" whenever I get email alerts on my phone during standard working hours.

We won't be kept on the hook for much longer, if the IRC are as good as their word. I almost feel like for maximum dramatic effect the results will end up being March 31. A weekend of celebration or drowning of sorrows would be had!

Zoinks wrote: »
    It looks like my application is available again. No movement on "Last Modified" yet.

Looking at last year's thread for this, there were candidates placed on a reserve list--so you should not be eliminating anybody else's opportunity if you want to take time to think more about this and are ultimately successful. That being said, if you are fairly certain that you will reject the offer, it is kind of a waste of reviewers' time and may put a prospectively successful candidate in a position where they have to wait a little longer than everyone else for their final result.

What you do is up to you; there is an advantage to waiting if you feel like you might want a backup.

That's good to know thanks, I guess I will wait for the response before I commit. Maybe I will get lucky and not get it so I don't have to explain why I can't take it to the supervisor.

Decerto wrote: »

That's good to know thanks, I guess I will wait for the response before I commit. Maybe I will get lucky and not get it so I don't have to explain why I can't take it to the supervisor.
    I'm sure any supervisor will understand that you've made multiple applications and might not accept any offer you get from them, so I wouldn't worry about it! And congrats on getting into grad school :)

Sarzed1 wrote: »
    I'm sure any supervisor will understand that you've made multiple applications and might not accept any offer you get from them, so I wouldn't worry about it! And congrats on getting into grad school :)

Thanks. I am sure he will understand but he mentioned that this happened last year as well with another student so I feel pretty bad about it.

And the applications are down again at time of writing (mine anyway).

If all this is simply because of website upgrades and maintenance, surely the Summer months would have been more appropriate :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

If all this is simply because of website upgrades and maintenance, surely the Summer months would have been more appropriate :o

Mine is too! Scared the bejesus out of me. :(

Last time they took the applications down like this (so you could see 'draft' and 'closed' but not 'submitted applications') was the afternoon they announced the outcome of stage 1... 
    I'm a nervous wreck! 
    I second what you said upgrades and maintenance, this is poor timing if that's all it is!

There will be lots of potentially fruitless refreshing on my part today I think :o

results are up! sadly I was unsuccessful :( good luck to you all!

Results up are up.

I'm on reserve list, which I must take as being unsuccessful.

Congrats to anybody who was successful.

This is complicated for me as I was seeking funding for my 4th year as my previous source ended--so advice welcome!

So I got this:
    As outlined in the Guide for Applicants, there are independent funding streams for ‘Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences’ and ‘Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics’. The overall score awarded to your application was 86.5 and the funding cut-off for applications assessed under category one of the ‘Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences’ stream was 87.5.

But you needed 87 to get past the outer board at stage 1? Very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Antifragile1

My application is on the reserve list. Scored 87.5 with cut off for funding 89.

Reckon I have any hope?

So I got this:
    As outlined in the Guide for Applicants, there are independent funding streams for ‘Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences’ and ‘Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics’. The overall score awarded to your application was 86.5 and the funding cut-off for applications assessed under category one of the ‘Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences’ stream was 87.5.

But you needed 87 to get past the outer board at stage 1? Very confusing.
    Maybe they got 're-scored' at the second stage? who knows? 
    I haven't had an email yet, but I take it that means 87.5 was the cut off to receive funding in the AHSS stream?

My own view is that hope is very slim, but you may just be lucky.

Try to work out alternatives in the meantime, I know in my case I might look into part-time work.

• Advertisement

My own view is that hope is very slim, but you may just be lucky.

Try to work out alternatives in the meantime, I know in my case I might look into part-time work.
    They haven't emailed me yet (I want to know my score more than anything else!)- time to email my prospective supervisor and cross my fingers that the department has funding available this year..!

Advertisement