Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 IRC Postgraduate Funding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Ended up being accepted, I will probably decline tomorrow after I email my supervisor. It's the stem category if anyone is on the waitlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

Decerto wrote: »
    Ended up being accepted, I will probably decline tomorrow after I email my supervisor. It's the stem category if anyone is on the waitlist.

Congratulations on achieving that, it was not easy and I hope you have a bright future ahead of you in academia :)

Selfishly, I hope there are some more people in your position who will be declining, but I very much doubt there will be more than a handful of people who will get better opportunities or have other circumstances :eek:

@sarzed1; I hope it works out for you, and me, aaah!

This thread was a massacre this year. So many successful candidates last year in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theo_james

How long do you have to decline or accept your award?

theo_james wrote: »
    How long do you have to decline or accept your award?

Deadline is Wednesday 29th of March which is very little time to be honest. In the US offers come out mid Feb until end of March and you have until April 15th to accept.

Deadline is Wednesday 29th of March which is very little time to be honest. In the US offers come out mid Feb until end of March and you have until April 15th to accept.
    Thank you, @Decerto. I am on reserve list. I got 90 for stem.

• Advertisement

theo_james wrote: »

I got 92 so you are probably pretty close.

My guess is us reserves will have a relatively definitive idea of where we stand in the first week of April then, of course with the agonising hope still there for some time after (people may yet drop out or be unable to furnish necessary documentation, however unlikely).

Nice one, fingers crossed for you!

Zoinks wrote: »
    My guess is us reserves will have a relatively definitive idea of where we stand in the first week of April then, of course with the agonising hope still there for some time after (people may yet drop out or be unable to furnish necessary documentation, however unlikely).

Fingers crossed for both of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

Got accepted in STEM. Really hope the reserve list works out for people. Ye have all been so kind and helpful. We'll all get far yet!

kyle84 wrote: »
    Got accepted in STEM. Really hope the reserve list works out for people. Ye have all been so kind and helpful. We'll all get far yet!

Congratulations :)

Statistically, most people should be happy with their results today (I worked out that approx. 177 AHSS should have made it into Stage 2, at least--didn't do that math for STEM but it shouldn't exceed maybe 220). While I envy them, I am sincerely happy that maybe 200 people will have had their day made so much brighter today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruki

Congrats! (Am a postdoc myself, so watching you guys with interest - really feeling for you all!) Just wanted to say to you, Decerto, that you should add the offer to your CV and just note in brackets after it that you declined it. Future employers etc will be very happy to see your success rate in attracting funding. Have a blast in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ExperX

Congrats to all who were awarded, anyone on reserve offered a position yet,? Im on reserve with score of 89.5 😢

Many on here planning on refusing an offer? There were a good few refusals last year i heard and many places were offered to reserves.

ExperX wrote: »
    Congrats to all who were awarded, anyone on reserve offered a position yet,? Im on reserve with score of 89.5 😢

Many on here planning on refusing an offer? There were a good few refusals last year i heard and many places were offered to reserves.

Are you STEM? We've had one probable STEM decline here, but also one STEM candidate who scored 90 and was placed on reserve. No idea how the reserves are ranked or how many there are though, the IRC don't offer much insight on that.

Any AHSS success stories, or any other AHSS reserves? I think we've only had STEM people declare success (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

AHSS and overjoyed to say that I got it! Have been told not to make any 'public announcements' until they do, so I'm bursting with the news! :D

Congratulations! What did you score, if you don't mind my asking? (You can PM me that if you feel better!).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

Congratulations! What did you score, if you don't mind my asking? (You can PM me that if you feel better!).
    PM sent. :) Very, very happy and fairly shocked! My financial situation this year was pretty dire and I've had a scary few months wondering if I could even continue, so this really does feel like a gift from the gods!

Just as a quick note to starter applicants in the field of politics & IR, both DCU and UCD have funding opportunities atm--so if you can adapt your applications soon it may be worth the effort :)

Are you STEM? We've had one probable STEM decline here, but also one STEM candidate who scored 90 and was placed on reserve. No idea how the reserves are ranked or how many there are though, the IRC don't offer much insight on that.

Any AHSS success stories, or any other AHSS reserves? I think we've only had STEM people declare success (?).

Yes stem. My supervisor thought 87 got funded in stem last year and is shocked that my score didnt get in.

Congrats to you and thanks for replying btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ompa

What stream were you in? Was the cut off 89 for STEM?

Hi Zoinks, I received the same email as you (AHSS). And now we wait. . .

• Advertisement

I am STEM, It didnt say what the cut off was - did it tell AHSS what the cut off score was?

Yes it said that cut-off for funding was 87.5

sorry I thought you were referring to cut off for the reserve list - the cut off for funding for stem was 91 ;(

Oh sorry I don't know what the cut-off for reserves was :( If I had to speculate I would guess it is one point below funding cut-off (which is where I'm at right now)

Ompa wrote: »
    Hi Zoinks, I received the same email as you (AHSS). And now we wait. . .

It's nice to find someone else in the same situation (with the caveat that it would obviously be better if we were in a better one :o ).

Do you think the reserve period covers only the accept/decline window for successful candidates, or is it kept open indefinitely until all successful candidates move from conditional award to accepted? The wording of the email suggests the former, however in my view it seems more likely that most will accept but more could have reservations, or problems acquiring documentation further down the line.

Yes that sounds likely. Do you think they will do it piecemeal like that? If so I imagine that a few reserves (at the top of the list) might get offered something at the end of this week. Then maybe if successful applicants have issues further down the line there might be more offers made to reserves.

I have no idea how many of us there are though and there must be reserves with a score of 87 too. . .

Yes, my understanding is that offers to reserves will be sent on a rolling basis whereby if a successful candidate declines, the award will be made to somebody on the reserve list ASAP. If this is correct, some reserve offers may have already been made by now. There could even be 87.5s on the reserve list (God help them, I think my hair would have turned grey if that was my final score and I was placed on reserve).

At any rate, there is little transparency regarding the reserve list, we don't know whether applications are ranked by score or other factors. Best not to be too optimistic at this juncture to avoid disappointment though.

Agreed - best not to hold out hope.

My email did specify that the cut off for funding was 87.5 so I imagine anyone with that score was offered an award and not placed on a reserve list.

Hi Oompa, I found this, which may be helpful? It's pure speculation, but probably worth a look (take with a grain of salt):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96166154&postcount=14

• Advertisement

Hi Zoinks,

It seems that Myons1 is suggesting that if all the 87's receive awards and it gets to us 86.5's but only 1 award is left then neither of us receive an award. (In this made-up scenario we are the only ones on 86.5!). Anyway that is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Could we not flip for it or something? :P I would prefer somebody rather than nobody to get it! It seems also that that year applicants on the reserve list were not actually told there score until after the awards were divvied out.

I don't know :P If I disclosed the number of times I have checked that online system since Thursday it's likely I'd be committed.

Advertisement