Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 IRC Postgraduate Funding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

I call tails then!

There is definite reaching in that post's speculation, although much of it is reasonable (though surely the IRC has ranking criteria beyond scoring in this case--or one would hope or their speculated scenario holds some water!)
    If I disclosed the number of times I have checked that online system since Thursday it's likely I'd be committed.

I've relaxed since Thursday in acceptance of defeat, but I think my mouse clicking finger might get itchy come next week after the presumed deadline for acceptance/refusal by successful candidates :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27 roberth

Hi everyone,

My supervisor said that she often sees people on the reserve list get a Scholarship, so fingers crossed for everyone. I got 92 for STEM but am declining my offer and heading to the UK instead for my PhD. Best of luck everyone, hope it works out well!

Best of luck in the UK, roberth, and congrats on your results :)

I guess we know at least two people on the STEM reserve list will get a nice surprise.

Until what time today do you have to accept/decline the award? (it's today, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ExperX

Has any reserve of STEM (or AHSS) received an offer yet? Thanks
    Zoinks wrote: »
    Best of luck in the UK, roberth, and congrats on your results :)

I guess we know at least two people on the STEM reserve list will get a nice surprise.

Until what time today do you have to accept/decline the award? (it's today, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ompa

Hi Zoinks,

Access to the full application is no longer available. Just 2 pages of it.

• Advertisement

I see. I wouldn't read too much into it--external assessment has been finalised, so the IRC possibly doesn't consider it worthwhile having the full applications (beyond the bare details) stored on their systems. The rankings are set in stone so they will not be referring to the deeper application content anymore (I suppose).

Hi Oompa,

so I had a little look at the 2014/2015 thread that Myons1 made their inferences from, and the speculation does indeed seem as solid as speculation can be:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057089570&page=32

People .5% below the threshold were sent reserve offers approximately 1-2 weeks after initial announcement (?). After maybe another 2 weeks people a further .5% down (1% total) were sent offers.

If all external factors were the same (there's a few variables in operation here), I think the first battery of reserve offers would have been received no later than the end of this week.

Big thing to consider is that external factors are different this year--acceptances were due less than a week after initial offers, the IRC is in a position to act much faster, therefore technically reserve offers (if there were any, I wish they would grace us with their presence :) ) would likely have gone out by now. I think any expectations can be greatly tempered with that in mind, however that thread suggests that it's ok to hold on to some hope.

Looks like that is a postdoc thread though...so it might be a little different? But any kernel of hope is welcomed!

It's a general IRC thread, so there's a lot of noise in there, but I'm pretty sure that the reserves (or most of them) were PG applicants.

We may yet receive some official correspondence soon anyway--the reserves in that thread seemed to have been given a date by which they would know their final status one way or another.

Yes they might make contact before the end of the week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Have any postdocs heard anything yet?

Not a post-doc, but I was recently talking to one who was still waiting and presumed results would be after Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruki

Hi,

According to the kind IRC folks, Postdoc stage 1 results are due next week, and the final results at the end of the month. I would take the latter to mean the very last week, but could be wrong. Best of luck to all.

Incidentally, I heard there's a new IRC scheme to increase ERC Grant application numbers re Starting and Consolidator. Deadline in July this year, scheme starting in spring 2018... For postdocs of min 2 yrs, it's another option but looks very problematic in terms of timeline for applying for the Starting Grant (eligibility for that expires after 7 years postdoc). And those massive ERC grants are not to be applied for lightly! They're also serious leverage in the job hunt, so I personally wouldn't waste an ERC application on an institution where I was only on a short-term (or no) contract. Sorry for the massive aside, and ciao!

Ruki wrote: »
    Hi,

According to the kind IRC folks, Postdoc stage 1 results are due next week, and the final results at the end of the month. I would take the latter to mean the very last week, but could be wrong. Best of luck to all.

Incidentally, I heard there's a new IRC scheme to increase ERC Grant application numbers re Starting and Consolidator. Deadline in July this year, scheme starting in spring 2018... For postdocs of min 2 yrs, it's another option but looks very problematic in terms of timeline for applying for the Starting Grant (eligibility for that expires after 7 years postdoc). And those massive ERC grants are not to be applied for lightly! They're also serious leverage in the job hunt, so I personally wouldn't waste an ERC application on an institution where I was only on a short-term (or no) contract. Sorry for the massive aside, and ciao!

Make that postdoc of min 3 years... The timeline makes zero sense, to be honest. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.research.ie/scheme/laureate-awards-programme

Any unsuccessful applicants in the disciplines of English, and also Politics, might be interested in these; DCU has a lot of opportunities at the moment not limited to these (also check UCD):

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AYU825/five-phd-fellowships/?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AYU862/doctoral-research-scholarships-2017-2018/?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Have the post-docs had their results yet?

Always good to share, Zoinks. No - postdocs are still in the dark. Three times in a row the IRC has held out the prospect of stage 1 results, but haven't managed to deliver. I suspect they're in full-scale meltdown now that they've got to release FAQs for a - quite frankly - nutty new award scheme. Bless 'em. Wish they'd get a move on with us! Slim chances of final postdoc results by the end of April...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sarzed1

Long shot but does anyone on here know how long TCD takes to decide who to award the Ussher/School studentships to? All the website says is that the deadline to apply is May 1st..?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

Sarzed1 wrote: »
    Long shot but does anyone on here know how long TCD takes to decide who to award the Ussher/School studentships to? All the website says is that the deadline to apply is May 1st..?
    Not sure about the Ussher but I think it depends on the school with regard to the studentships. I'd say send an email to the head of the school in question. :)

Kinks56 wrote: »
    Not sure about the Ussher but I think it depends on the school with regard to the studentships. I'd say send an email to the head of the school in question. :)

Thanks :) my prospective supervisor said late May, so I'll give it another few weeks then I might drop them an email- so tired of waiting, I just want to know one way or another!

• Advertisement

You might also consider hedging your bets and applying for funded PhD positions in other universities. I'm not sure of the etiquette of making multiple applications based on the same proposal... it might not be good :eek: ... but it is certainly worth looking into whilst you still have time.

Zoinks wrote: »

You might also consider hedging your bets and applying for funded PhD positions in other universities. I'm not sure of the etiquette of making multiple applications based on the same proposal... it might not be good :eek: ... but it is certainly worth looking into whilst you still have time.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm actually an undergraduate, so if I don't end up at Trinity then I'll be heading elsewhere to get a masters first then reapplying for PhDs (TCD is one of the few places that takes PhD students straight out of undergrad in my subject, so it's the only PhD app I've made this year). I have a back up offer, I just wish I could tell them officially whether or not I'll be taking it..! :)

Happened to have a look at my application status (cos you never know :o ), and an update is underway. Perhaps postdocs should keep a close eye on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 water.testing

Postdoctoral final results are out. Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Does anyone know if there is a date by which people on the postgrad reserve list will know their final outcome? I want to be put out of my misery and know for sure I won't get it!

Hi First_October,

There is no set date. It seems like reserve candidates are offered awards on a rolling basis so it could be anywhere from now until October. Reserves with a score that's more than 1% below the cut-off are unlikely to make it off the reserve list (though STEM seem to have alot more reserve offers than AHSS). It's an excrutiating wait to say the least.

The IRC released its annual report for 2016 recently:

http://www.research.ie/aboutus/annual-reports/2016/#12/z

There's an interesting disparity between STEM and AHSS in terms of awards given (99 vs 107 respectively).

The disparity is curious, and I would wonder if it is because a) AHSS was allocated a bigger budget that year b) there were simply more under AHSS applying for partial support (1 or 2 years) c) the rate of attrition of STEM awardees exceeded the reserve list or d) (and please nobody get their hopes up based on this bit of wild speculation) a single reserve list is in operation with AHSS benefiting from the disproportionately high levels of STEM attrition.

My bet would be on b), but there's something to mull over there nonetheless.

As this is just about to wrap up for the 2017/2018 applicants (many of whom I am sure are starting now, good luck!), for the next batch of applicants who will undoubtedly be digging through boards for information, I would like to leave a few closing points for posterity.

This year, offers to the reserve list candidates on AHSS either did not move down a full point, or they did not go out by batch (I have not heard anything, and though a little time remains, I do not expect to).

2018/2019 applicants, do ignore the "Last Modified" updates on your applications! I do think a lot of updates in a short space of time does indicate incoming results, but don't get hung up on it as it may still take weeks from that particular point of high activity to hear anything.

First round results, if they choose to release them (they do not always), should take about 4 months--so don't sweat it and try to put your mind on something else after applying. Final results should follow 1-2 months later (so the wait should be 5-6 months altogether). I think you can probably expect results in March or April.

You may end up on the reserve list, which in many ways is the worst outcome as your application will be in limbo for an indeterminate period of time. For me, the application process started last October and has not technically finished yet.

Now, as for me, on a wing and a prayer I have completed a thesis that I will submit next week. That took some double-time effort. I have no idea how it will go (time for review and revision was obviously an issue!), but I will report back in the viva thread in a couple of months I suppose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carpe5496

I hate to be the first of the disaster stories but I am mostly hoping for some sort of reassurance that my application will not be altogether considered void.

I decided to submit 5 days before the deadline this year because of all the issues with the websites that you heard about closer to the deadline. But, just my luck, I did have an issue. I was uploading my gantt chart and bibliography. The gantt chart went up fine but the bibliography did not. I clicked 'save draft' but instead a pop-up warning came up asking if you were sure you wanted to submit because no changes can be made afterwards etc. I didn't even put my hand near the mouse and suddenly the application was submitted. I didn't even get time to take a screenshot showing that my cursor was not on the submit button.

I emailed the IRC and asked if they could delete the application so i could start all over again and they said no. Apart from this being absolutely ridiculous considering it may be that further applicants will have this issue so they should be looking into it, and that I do not want to amend the application but cancel it altogether, I now have no bibliography.

I am doing English Lit so naturally the bibliography is so important. I did however look on the guidelines and FAQ and it doesn't say it is required. I spoke a lot about the texts, authors etc I am using in the actual body of the application.

Anyone know, or have experience, about this? Will I be completely disregarded because of this?

I am a first time applicant so please go easy :(

• Advertisement

Anyone know, or have experience, about this? Will I be completely disregarded because of this?

I would try not to worry at this stage. There could be a grading penalty for the omission, but I don't imagine your application will be discarded. Try not to agonize on it, it's going to be a long road ahead.

Advertisement